Enjoying Montblanc Pens — Broad, Oblique, Extra Fine, Le & Bespoke

Tom Kellie

fpn_1509790374__work_desk.jpg

1951 Montblanc 3-42 G BB Nib with Parker 51s and Watercolor Pens

Enjoying Montblanc Pens — Broad, Oblique, Extra Fine, LE & Bespoke

~ One of the pleasures of visiting a Montblanc boutique anywhere is looking over the range of finely crafted pens on offer. Familiar models gleaming under refined lighting share space with the latest sophisticated designs.

If circumstances are favorable, one may walk out the door after a friendly farewell bearing a fresh addition to a carefully chosen collection of writing tools which are jewel-like in their elegance.

For most first-time Montblanc fountain pen purchasers the nib they buy will be an excellent M or an F, both of which write exceptionally well for most purposes.

That there are other types of nibs is mentioned and on display, but for those beginning their Montblanc fountain pen journey, they often remain a specialty item about which little is known.

After discovering or being introduced to Fountain Pen Network's Montblanc Forum, it's readily apparent that there's much to learn about and appreciate concerning fountain pens.

Every month threads are added about pen repairs and maintenance, possibly fake pen verification, older model identification, questions about market value, news about upcoming pen releases and recent purchases.

All of these together constitute an education in Montblanc pens in particular, as well as in fountain pen use, maintenance and collecting in general.

There's a sizable number of Montblanc users who enjoy using pens with nibs which are seldom available in boutiques, although obtainable through Montblanc's ‘six weeks from purchase’ nib exchange program.

Those include broader nibs, oblique nibs, extra fine nibs, limited edition nibs and bespoke nibs. Writing with such specialized nibs adds to the joy of handwriting in fine ink on quality paper.

After nearly one year of posts in a thread about an OBBB nib, it became clear that the comments, pen and nib photos and handwriting samples had expanded beyond the original subject.

Accordingly, this thread is for those interested in displaying, using and sharing their love for Montblanc's specialty pens and nibs, defined however one prefers.

Daily life with fountain pens includes a rich dimension of tactility, as pens, nibs, ink and paper have texture, pattern, hues, weight, and refined materials.

Whether enjoyed on a quiet work desk, or with a friendly pet, or in a work cubicle, in a diary or even on safari, writing with fountain pens is life-enhancing.

May this thread gradually include a range of pen and nib photos, handwriting samples, and heartfelt comments to encourage long-time members and visitors alike to enjoy their pens as often as possible.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tom Kellie

• Ghost Plane

• zaddick

• thygreyt

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A great thread idea. Thank you for starting it. I'll see about getting some new photos up here to encourage the growth of this labor of love.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

I am drawn to Tom K's display of writing but new to oblique nibs and would have to ask a very silly question: do I have to rotate the pen slightly counter-clockwise to make it write?

Are Montblanc obliques differently angle than other brands?

~ minddance:

Thank you so much for your kind comment.

As to my own writing with oblique nibs, I haven't found it necessary to rotate the pens counter-clockwise.

In fact, I've never needed to do any rotation. My hand has slightly changed its grip, but nothing dramatic.

Ghost Plane has written about how she writes with oblique nibs.

My impression from reading posts by different FPN members has been that it varies with the user.

I initially learned how to write with an oblique nib in a Beijing Montblanc boutique.

While waiting for a sales representative to bring a few pens from the stock room, I played with the oblique tester pens.

Subtle shifts in my finger positioning were all that it took to find a comfortable position which took full advantage of the nib face's sweet spot.

As to differences in the oblique angle of Montblanc vs other brands, I'm not in a position to comment, as I've never used other obliques.

Tom K.

A great thread idea. Thank you for starting it. I'll see about getting some new photos up here to encourage the growth of this labor of love.

~ zaddick:

Thank you so much!

Your “The Broad Side” thread in ‘Nibs and Tines’ was an inspiration.

The recent Fountain Pen Day post with the Montblanc Irish Green ink handwritten post was what it took to launch this thread.

Not only was your photo with the handwritten post excellent, but the Haribo Gold-Bears continued the tradition of Montblanc with food images. Wonderful!

With time, this thread may offer a place to display pens in collections both as cherished objects and as reliable tools.

Your posts are especially appreciated as you invariably add a dash of wit to even the most technical of posts.

Tom K.

Thank you very much, Tom K for enlightening me. I am relocated to Beijing and am certainly happy to know that I could try out a MBlanc oblique here!

Initially, I was thinking of only B and BB nibs until I saw your writings!

Is it possible to eat shrimp with chopsticks?

And a little eye candy to get things moving:

~ Ghost Plane:

Nothing like a high-octane kick start to set a thread going down the on-line highway!

Thank you for those terrific images of your over-the-top lovely pens.

Looking at them, it's hard to believe that they aren't museum pieces, but actually are a craftsman's tools.

They are indeed eye candy, sure to delight any Montblanc fan.

The way you've placed the pens, across the molded slot in their presentation boxes, is appealing.

The two Skeletons complement one another with contrasting nib color and pen bodies.

Fascinating how both are Skeletons yet feature unique designs in the pen barrel.

Both nibs...and pens...are powerful statements about writing. Nothing cutesy or froufrou about them.

You've set a high bar for future posts of pen images.

As to chopsticks and steamed prawns...yes! They're routinely used here, with the logistics of removing the shell best left to one's imagination.

Tom K.

Do try the larger obliques. Simply allow the nib to find its sweet spot on the page. Close your fingers around it and write. It really is that simple.

Do try the larger obliques. Simply allow the nib to find its sweet spot on the page. Close your fingers around it and write. It really is that simple.

Thank you, Ghost Plane!

Thank you very much, Tom K for enlightening me. I am relocated to Beijing and am certainly happy to know that I could try out a MBlanc oblique here!

Initially, I was thinking of only B and BB nibs until I saw your writings!

~ minddance:

Yours truly worked in Beijing for 17 years, serving in life science faculties of universities in the Haidian District.

The superb service I received in both the Oriental Plaza (Wangfujing) and China World Trade Center Montblanc boutiques enabled me to discover Montblanc's strengths.

Upon visiting either of those boutiques (there are several other boutiques in Beijing, but they're smaller) it's possible that they might not have oblique nibs in stock.

However, that's not a problem, as they each have a set of tester pens, including obliques. They also have Bespoke tester pens.

If you don't mind, I might suggest bringing a sheet or two of your own favorite paper for use with the tester pens, as the paper supplied in boutiques doesn't match the high quality pens.

Three FPN members who have insight and experience with broader and oblique nibs are Ghost Plane, zaddick and Pravda. They're each familiar with possible configurations of broader nibs, as are many others.

Yes, both B and BB nibs are deeply satisfying nibs for daily writing, displaying quality inks well on heavier weight grades of paper.

What using OBBB nibs has taught me is that oblique nibs frequently add another dimension of line variation, such that any oblique, e.g. OBB, OB, OM or OF, is well worth considering.

The OBBB isn't available as a tester pen, although it may be obtained by nib exchange. An OF nib is currently available as a Bespoke special order. The other oblique nibs may be tested at a boutique.

The top image posted by Ghost Plane above shows a magnificent oblique nib on a large Skeleton nib.

It's definitely worth exploring oblique nibs prior to deciding which nib to use. That's much of the fun of visiting a Montblanc boutique — considering the possible.

I'm so pleased to know that you're in Beijing, where it's possible to examine the full range of Montblanc's current line of fountain pens, including limited editions.

Thank you for your very kind comment.

Tom K.

The angle on a modern oblique MB nib is 15 degrees. I think this is the standard across modern obliques from a factory. As noted, you don't need to have special skills, grip, or rotation to use an oblique from MB. They are worth the effort to try out in the store and even better to take home!

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

fpn_1509849128__dawn_redwood_and_full_mo

Dawn Redwood and Full Moon

fpn_1509849139__2_birthday_moon.jpg

64th Birthday Eve Moon

fpn_1509849486__sketch_tools.jpg

Sketch Tools

fpn_1509849671__lunar_exploration.jpg

Lunar Exploration

fpn_1509849849__sketch_pen.jpg

Sketch Pen

Here are my Montblanc OB and EF pens.

fpn_1509865755__montblanc_ob_and_ef_1.jp

Inks: MB Corn Poppy Red and Burgundy Red

fpn_1509865794__montblanc_ob_and_ef_2.jp

We have here an early 90's monotone 14C OB nib

fpn_1509865839__montblanc_ob_and_ef_3.jp

The EF has a slight architect point which gives some subtle line variation in an extra fine line which I really enjoy.

Happy birthday Tom. Looks like Zuji had a great time too with all that attention.

Edited by max dog

Happy birthday, Tom. ... BTW, 43 only. :)

Edited by Zdenek

"Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword, obviously never encountered automatic weapons." – General D. MacArthur

“Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm.” – W. Churchill

Happy birthday, Tom. ... BTW, 43 only. :)

~ Zdenek:

You gave me the very best gift of all — you restored my “youth”...a drop of 192 years!

Thank you!

Tom K.