Pen With Line Variation For Note Taking/everyday Use

Andr

I get line variation from the Plumix as it comes with a M calligraphy nib. I got a Noodlers Ahab, and don’t really like having to press to get variation. It must depend on writing style.

The trouble with the Plumix is the oddly shaped cap that you don’t want to lose.

Posted Image

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• LizEF

• ParkerDuofold

• Bo Bo Olson

• thiagojp

It's also possible to find a Pilot Prera Iro-Ai with the same CM nib as the Plumix for just under $30 on Amazon.

As for FPR, the reviews on the site praise their flex nibs as surpassing Noodler's. But their stub nibs have barely any visible variation in writing. You can just barely pull it out with demonstration hatch lines.

:lol: Sounds like a lotta work just to yell at you. Let's just hope the pen works well. Maybe I'll make a video and we can laugh at how poorly I write compared to the person in the video I posted. :blush:

:D

That's just as well because there's already a queue for people waiting to yell at me.

I think you'll like it. :thumbup:

PLEASE DO a video if you're so inclined... :D ...or at least a regular review... I should do one myself... if I can ever find the time. :unsure:

Enjoy... I hope. :D

- Anthony

:D

That's just as well because there's already a queue for people waiting to yell at me.

I think you'll like it. :thumbup:

PLEASE DO a video if you're so inclined... :D ...or at least a regular review... I should do one myself... if I can ever find the time. :unsure:

Enjoy... I hope. :D

- Anthony

:) It's due to arrive next Thursday or Friday (why pay for shipping when you can practice patience? :lol: ). I should probably start figuring out an ink to put in it... Something that shades. I wish there was a list of inks that create an outline at the edges of the letter when you use a flex nib - love that effect, but I'm not sure any of my inks will do that.

:) It's due to arrive next Thursday or Friday (why pay for shipping when you can practice patience? :lol: ). I should probably start figuring out an ink to put in it... Something that shades. I wish there was a list of inks that create an outline at the edges of the letter when you use a flex nib - love that effect, but I'm not sure any of my inks will do that.

It be here. What ink should I put in it? I narrowed it down by removing 9 inks I know I don't want to put in it... :lol:

1. Akkerman #09 Laan van Nieuw Oost-Indigo
  2. Akkerman #10 IG
  3. Anderson Pens Oshkosh Denim
  4. De Atramentis Document Blue
  5. De Atramentis Indigo Blue
  6. De Atramentis Pigeon Blue
  7. De Atramentis Steel Blue
  8. Diamine 1864 Blue Black
  9. Diamine Blue Lightning
  10. Diamine Classic Green
  11. Diamine Eau de Nil
  12. Diamine Misty Blue
  13. Diamine Regency Blue
  14. Iroshizuku Asa-gao
  15. Iroshizuku Fuyu-syogun
  16. Iroshizuku Kiri-same
  17. Iroshizuku Yama-budo
  18. J. Herbin Emeraude de Chivor
  19. J. Herbin Poussiere de Lune
  20. KWZ #17
  21. KWZ #27 IG
  22. KWZ Brown Pink
  23. Montblanc Leo Tolstoy Sky Blue (LE)
  24. Montblanc Permanent Blue
  25. Montblanc Royal Blue
  26. Noodler's Dumas Tulipe Noir
  27. Noodler's FPN Van Gogh Starry Night Blue
  28. Noodler's Shah's Rose
  29. Platinum Pigmented Blue
  30. R&K Solferino
  31. Robert Oster Blue Denim
  32. Robert Oster Blue Night
  33. Robert Oster Blue Sea
  34. Robert Oster School Blue
  35. Sailor Nioi-sumire
  36. Sailor Sei Boku
  37. Sailor Yama Dori
  38. Visconti Blue
  39. Waterman Audacious Red
  40. Waterman Harmonious Green
  41. Waterman Inspired Blue

...? The pen is warming up while I eat a very late breakfast (am starving). Then I'll wash it and check back for opinions....

Getting back to the OP, if this is for quick note-taking, and if you don't really want a flex-nib, you can try to get something which is springy, such as the Platinum Balance ou Cool pens. They are sturdy and they will give you some line variation (not very much, but if you are going to use the pen to take notes, you should be fine).

If you want to go with a stub, the TWSBI (on the Eco, for example) and Pilot 1.1 nibs (on the Plumix or 78G) are good. Lamy also has 1.1 nibs for the Safari. All good options.

My personal experience with Noodler's and FPR flex nibs have been... quite ordinary. Even after tweaking the feeds, they are not the most reliable nibs / pens. I use them to draw and to write greeting cards and such. Notes? Not so much.

Certainly a Noodlers is the last thing you want to use to take notes quickly (quick for an Ahab or Konrad is it taking less than half an hour to et it writing, in my experience), and if the OP won't have something to lean on while taking notes, then they can forget about getting any line variation from a Noodlers barely flex nib in any case.

I've never had a problem with my Ahab...with out a Mod it's for super flex hard....semi-flex pressure needed to spread tines.

But I am use to semi-flex....and someone coming in from nail could easily a fat line.

A Safari is IMO with a 1.0 stub would be way too wide for note taking.

A Western F can be used to take notes....even if stubbed.

I think Japanese nibs which are @ 1 size narrower than some western nibs....would be too narrow to really notice. I see no real patterns when I look at a Western EF stub...which would be a Japanese F.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

OK, I posted my first impressions here. For the purposes of this thread, I actually think this could be a good pen* to fit the OP's needs, if his pen / ink / location don't conspire to make it blurp constantly like mine does (see the other post for details). Beyond that problem, the nib is fine and stiff enough to be able to take quick notes, but the flexing is quite easy, so one could use that to make headers or underlines or whatever. Also, it seems to be a wet writer, but I don't know if that's because mine is too wet and blurps, or if that's normal (you'd think a flex pen would be a bit wet, so the OP's desire for both not too wet and flex are probably self-contradicting).

*Unless it doesn't last, but I see no reason it ought not to, just mentioning since I just barely got this pen.

Edit: It was all my fault - I thought I had the nib and feed well-seated after cleaning (they're a very, very tight fit), but they weren't quite in all the way. At Anthony's suggestion, I tried again and got them to go in a hair farther. After 7 minutes of writing, no sign of blups, and the ink color is more normal, the flow not as wet. I can now recommend this without concern as something that would meet the OP's needs - he just needs to know that the nib and feed are really tight, so if you take them out for cleaning, make extra certain you've got them back in all the way!

Edited by LizEF

It be here. What ink should I put in it? I narrowed it down by removing 9 inks I know I don't want to put in it... :lol:

Go to random.org. Enter 41, the number of inks you have, and spin the wheel of fortune.

To hold a pen is to be at war. - Voltaire

Go to random.org. Enter 41, the number of inks you have, and spin the wheel of fortune.

Thanks! Too late for this time, but good idea for the next time I get all indecisive (with inks, that's pretty common :blush: ).

:lol:

Maps are available in most NJ gift shops... in the legend, refer to the attraction known as the "One man crazy house." :D

Btw, that's a great video... it's amazing what you can get out of a pen when you know what you're doing. :D

- A.C.

As opposed to a postcard I saw years ago (probably in one of the rest areas on the Garden State Parkway) showing "the NJ State Airforce": a close up of a mosquito.... B)

Back on topic: I would also suggest a Noodler's FPC. They're smaller than Konrads, so that may be an issue (but cheaper, at just over $16 US). I found that I get more flex out of the smaller nibs than I do out of the #6 nibs on my Konrads.

If you want line variation, rather than flex, the Nemosine Singularities are pretty inexpensive (the other Nemosine pens are a bit on the heavy side for me -- YMMV). If I could find a pen color I liked well enough, the .6 mm stub is very nice (I got to try all the nib widths except for the .8 mm pens a while back in Birmingham Pens).

There's also the possibility of vintage pens with oblique nibs, but not sure what would be in the budget (I'll suggest those over flex nibs for vintage, which are likely to be budget breakers...).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

When I take notes, I want a NAIL.

I want to take notes without any distractions, and a flexy nib is a distraction.

When I want to write flexy, I use a different pen with a flex nib, usually a G nib in an oblique dip pen holder.

The other option is a CI nib like a Lamy 1.1

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

When I take notes, I want a NAIL.

I want to take notes without any distractions, and a flexy nib is a distraction.

:thumbup:

I find nails to be better for fast note taking. The only non-nail nib I use for note taking is a M200/205 springy steel Pelikan.

As opposed to a postcard I saw years ago (probably in one of the rest areas on the Garden State Parkway) showing "the NJ State Airforce": a close up of a mosquito.... B)

:lol:

Yeah, it's also been called the state bird... but the mosquito is not without competition. There was a referendum a few years ago on whether we should should endorse the mosquito or the greenhead fly as our state "mascot."

It was a landslide for the greenhead fly in the coastal/wetlands districts, but the mosquito won out in all of the larger, inland districts. :D

Btw, the Singularities are good pens, too. :thumbup:

-Anthony

EDITED to correct quote.

Edited by ParkerDuofold

Pilot Plumix. Pilot prera with an italic nib. Generally they write mediumish with line variation. Usually a medium italic or stub is the smallest nib that gives very noticeable line variation. The fine stubs I have , not that much. These are OK pens.

For real fun, Sheaffer Prelude with an italic nib, Montblanc 144 with an italic nib or a Parker 51 with broad stub. They are the ones I use for everyday line variation. Note taking, a Pelikan K400 ballpoint.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

maybe you should save some money and get a pilot falcon or even a pilot elite (E956s). Both have soft nibs (falcon's is softer) and they are great pens in general with 1k gold nibs and the do not need tweaking as much noodlers need in order to write properly. Plus, noodlers tend to leak more easily.

I prefer something that doesn't flex for quick note taking. Although I can get away with my Pelikan 140 which has a bit of flex.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

A Safari is IMO with a 1.0 stub would be way too wide for note taking.

It's actually not that wide. I've used it for that very purpose for years. Depends on your handwriting, I suppose.

• 2 weeks later...

I love writing with interesting nibs, and it seems to me that thats what you want. In your budget, how about a dip pen? You will get the best hairlines and best swells with them, but loose the practical carry-it-everywhere a fountain len has. Not for note taking, but for leisure.

For note taking the best cost-ratio benefit in my opinion is not a flex nib. There is no modern flexible nib, only a few elastic or springy nibs, and most waaay outside your price range. I dont recommend Noodlers ( even though I began with a Noodler Ahab) because they have very poor QC and usually require extensive adjustments to write minimally decent, if at all. And also require huge strength to flex, wich isnt very comfortable.

I have a Pilot plumix and it is a lovely fine stub, but crisper than western stubs. A good modern stub is a Lamy Safary with a 1,9; 1,5 or 1,1 stub. They are not very crisp but have a very good line contrast and are quite user friendly. Plus you can buy one pen and several nibs, and switch as you like. Another good option is a Sheaffer calligraphy kit, it usually comes with 3 different italic nibs ( F, M and B) and is quite cheap. Or a Manuscript pen. I heard Kaweco calligraphy kits are good but I have never tryed it, so cant really back them up, but they do have good reviews.

Anyway, have fun writing! Welcome to that addiction, youll see how it will grow and grow...