Pen With Line Variation For Note Taking/everyday Use

Andr

I'm looking for a pen with line variation that I can use for taking notes.I want it to write fine and preferably not very wet I have a small budget ~$35. The only pens I've seen that I've seen that fit the criteria are Noodler's Ahab/Konrad, Nemosine Singularity and Pilot Plumix, which of these would be the best for note taking and are there any other pens that fit the criteria.

Edited by Andr

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• LizEF

• ParkerDuofold

• Bo Bo Olson

• dan in montreal

Hello Andr,

The only pen on your list that comes with a nib actually designed to give you a little line variation would be the Noodlers pens... the others do not have nibs designed for any flex and it is foolhardy to expect a duck to bark. ;)

I never did like that flex test in pen reviews; using pens with standard nibs. :huh: :angry:

Be well and enjoy life... and best wishes for your studies. :)

- Anthony

Yes, as above flex or stub/italic?

I've tried a fine stub by R. Binder but the line variation was not as marked compared to broader stubs, and I don't think flex pens would suit daily note taking. I've heard of people using the so-called architect EF/F nibs but I have no direct experience.

I'm looking for a pen with line variation that I can use for taking notes.I want it to write fine and preferably not very wet I have a small budget ~$35. The only pens I've seen that I've seen that fit the criteria are Noodler's Ahab/Konrad, Nemosine Singularity and Pilot Plumix, which of these would be the best for note taking and are there any other pens that fit the criteria.

Andr, as stated above, of these, only the Noodler's pen allows flex. I've never used either model. I don't know how fine the nib writes when not flexing, and I've read that it's pretty stiff, requiring a lot of pressure to flex.

Nemosine Singularity (optionally) and Pilot Plumix both come with stub nibs, and the "line variation" is not the same as flex line variation, and with a stub, you have no choice of whether to have line variation or not - it's always skinny one way and fat the other. With a flex nib, you can always choose not to flex it, thus getting a finer line. So, whether either of these would do something you enjoy really depends on what you mean by "write fine". The Nemosine .6mm stub will certainly write small, but I wouldn't exactly call it fine. I'm an EF person, but I do really enjoy the .6 stub, FWIW, but I don't think I'd want it as my only note-taker.

I fear what you really want is a Pilot Falcon SEF or SF, but that's well outside your budget. :(

Hello again, Andr,

Just to follow-up... you may want to check out FPR... they're having a 15% off sale today for fp day...

https://fprevolutionusa.com/products/fpr-indus-fountain-pen

I have a black and a burgundy Indus... one with a flex nib and like them both a lot... especially for the price.

What is more, I find the flex nibs from FPR a little softer than the ones from Noodlers.

Again, if you buy today; you'll save 15%.

Be well. :)

- Anthony

I'm impressed with the steel nibs on my Ebonite FPR Himalaya. They are sold as 'Flex' but aren't really, in the traditional sense. Yet they have a lovely springy bounce and are a lot of fun to write with. The only thing that you might not like about the pen is that the ink flow is generous. This can be mitigated by using a drier ink like Pelikan for example. The pen itself is medium size. Lightweight and very comfortable in the hand.

You can pick one up from Kevin at Fountain Pen Revolution for around $30. They often have special offers that are worth keeping a look out for.

Verba volant, scripta manent

Here's an alternative. Try one of these pens from Fountain Pen Revolution, the FPR Darjeeling for $12.75 or the Kanwrite Desire for $16.15. Both come with #6 nibs. Order your choice with an F or M nib and then add a #6 flex nib for less than $8. The flex nib isn't a true flex nib, but it is flexible and will give you the line variation you're looking for. All these prices are sale prices that end today. I'm not affiliated with FPR, just a satisfied customer.

I love the smell of fountain pen ink in the morning.

Andr, as stated above, of these, only the Noodler's pen allows flex. I've never used either model. I don't know how fine the nib writes when not flexing, and I've read that it's pretty stiff, requiring a lot of pressure to flex.

Nemosine Singularity (optionally) and Pilot Plumix both come with stub nibs, and the "line variation" is not the same as flex line variation, and with a stub, you have no choice of whether to have line variation or not - it's always skinny one way and fat the other. With a flex nib, you can always choose not to flex it, thus getting a finer line. So, whether either of these would do something you enjoy really depends on what you mean by "write fine". The Nemosine .6mm stub will certainly write small, but I wouldn't exactly call it fine. I'm an EF person, but I do really enjoy the .6 stub, FWIW, but I don't think I'd want it as my only note-taker.

I fear what you really want is a Pilot Falcon SEF or SF, but that's well outside your budget. :(

By fine I meant the thinnest line the pen can make. I use a Japanese fine nib and it's perfect for my style of writing.

Yes, as above flex or stub/italic?

I've tried a fine stub by R. Binder but the line variation was not as marked compared to broader stubs, and I don't think flex pens would suit daily note taking. I've heard of people using the so-called architect EF/F nibs but I have no direct experience.

I know the nibs are very different, but I can't say for sure what I want because I've never wrote with either type.

Flex seems better suited for me, but the cheaper ones seem to have a lot of problems with their feeds. So stub/italic seem like the best choice but I can't find anything that gives good variation and isn't too broad. Probably looking in the range of 0.8-1 mm.

Hello again, Andr,

Just to follow-up... you may want to check out FPR... they're having a 15% off sale today for fp day...

https://fprevolutionusa.com/products/fpr-indus-fountain-pen

I have a black and a burgundy Indus... one with a flex nib and like them both a lot... especially for the price.

What is more, I find the flex nibs from FPR a little softer than the ones from Noodlers.

Again, if you buy today; you'll save 15%.

Be well. :)

- Anthony

OK, you convinced me. I put one in my cart on Amazon. I have to wait until today's package arrives before I can order (in case I need to add something else). It better be worth my $16, or I'll have to yell at you. (Just kidding.) ;) If I like it, I'll probably give it to a friend who's a teacher a thinks her students would go ga-ga over flex...

While waiting for my other shipment to arrive, I decided I should look at reviews of this FPR Indus. I found this:

...based on that, this is indeed the sort of thing the OP wants! Very nice. Looking forward to trying it out. :D

LizEF, that is a pretty impressive nib....don't know which one.

You can do an Ahab Mod, to your Ahab, which is grinding two half moons out of the side of the nib, and that improves a rather stiff 'flex' IMO semi-flex nib to first stage of of Superflex, what I call Easy Full Flex, the stage under Wet Noodle.

I have mostly old German pens from the '50-60's and are semi-flex and or maxi-semi-flex that I write normally, the line variation is flair....not quite what that vid showed. And way over your budget.

There's many more ground to flex nibs than there use to be....good luck. And the price seems right.

WoW...FPR...has snuck into my awareness....sort of behind the power curve.

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

LizEF, that is a pretty impressive nib....don't know which one.

According to the video title, it's the flex nib that comes on the FPR Indus. I'm hoping that's true (and the stock nib), because I just placed my order for one. :)

Don't worry, Anthony - I have no idea where you live... ;)

...It better be worth my $16, or I'll have to yell at you. (Just kidding.) ;) ...

:lticaptd:

That's alright, Liz... you can yell at me if you want to,...

...but I live in Jersey... so I doubt I'll notice. ;)

- Anthony :D

...Don't worry, Anthony - I have no idea where you live... ;)

:lol:

Maps are available in most NJ gift shops... in the legend, refer to the attraction known as the "One man crazy house." :D

Btw, that's a great video... it's amazing what you can get out of a pen when you know what you're doing. :D

- A.C.

One can write 'normal' with superflex if one is lazy....and has a lighter hand. :rolleyes: :blush:

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

I ended up putting an FPR flex nib on my TWSBI Eco that i use for note taking and am pretty happy with it, the feed does not line up perfect, and there is some issues with ink supply, but that is most likely due to the feed in my Eco being for the fine nib.

Maps are available in most NJ gift shops... in the legend, refer to the attraction known as the "One man crazy house." :D

:lol: Sounds like a lotta work just to yell at you. Let's just hope the pen works well. Maybe I'll make a video and we can laugh at how poorly I write compared to the person in the video I posted. :blush:

TWSBI ECO with 1.1 stub will be a reliable writer with a little line variation in your price range.

I agree. It's more of a medium width stub nib and it's great for everyday use and notes.