Hello everyone,

I hope you are having a pleasant day, this is my first post so it's possible that what I'll ask may seem puerile and possibly amounting to faux pas, please pardon my ignorance if any of that happens.

Who I am ?
I am student from India, who has a very important exam coming up in 6 months. I own 2 lamy safari's and 2 pilot metropolitan's.

Why am I here ?
Where I live and where I grew up we barely have anyone who uses fountain pens. I started with them not as a show of elegance but because I had a tendency to right softly and ball point pens require certain pressure which made me uncomfortable. So for me it's necessity, I cannot write with anything else.

What do I want?
Im looking for buying a new fountain pen. I'm not rich by any account but I saved enough money over my the years to afford a pen upto price of lamy 2000. The only consideration for me is that it should be able to write for a really long sessions and I guess that necessitates certain degree of smoothness.

My question to you respected readers !!

What would be the one pen you would buy if you were in my position that being you can afford only one pen upto price of lamy 2000 and you have to write with it maybe the whole day and looks don't matter at all maybe the feels does to a certain degree, but just one pen which you could buy, for the most important exam of your lives ?

( please note that ink capacity is not to trump over writing experience in this scenario, just the writability is the first and foremost concern rest are secondary and I like lamy safari's they do the job but I feel I could do better)
(Also kindly note I'm not pressing for lamy 2000 but it's the only pen whose price I know in the ocean of other availabilities, so it's price is for reference)

I'm not sure if any of you will find time to answer this, but I thank all of you in anticipation.

Regards,

Edited by Oyerane

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Oyerane

• Sailor Kenshin

• Honeybadgers

• EMQG

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Two pens fit the bill - the platinum 3776 century and the lamy 2000.

Honestly, there are a ton of cheaper pens that fit the smoothness bill with steel nibs. I am an ENORMOUS fan of what I consider the benchmark for all fountain pen steel nibs - the faber castell loom.

I don't think the lamy 2000 is anything special as far as writing goes. Yes it's smooth and lovely and well made and a piece of modernist art. But its nib has no flex at all, there's no softness, it's just a nail. If you don't LOVE the way it looks, the way it writes won't change your mind. If you love how it looks (like me and many others) it will not disappoint.

The platinum 3776 is not quite as nicely made but can be had with a wide variety of nibs, some soft, and the pen itself just has much more presence. It's also a spectacular writer.

As far as a pen that can be used every single day, the 2000 has a large ink capacity, a great clip, durable materials, snap cap, it's kind of a quintessential piece of modernist design, form follows function in every way.

Another pen to consider is a TWSBI VAC700R. Steel nib, but it's no harder than a lamy 2000's nail, and it's also got good build quality and plenty of presence. Cheaper too (TWSBI nibs are awesome)

if I were to point someone to a first fountain pen, the Loom takes the cake in terms of spectacular fit and finish, feel in the hand, and writing performance, for the price. Followed by the 3776 with a soft fine nib.

If I were going in to my MCAT and only had one pen available, my lamy 2000 EF would definitely be in my bag, not my visconti.

Also look at the pilot vanishing point. Similar to the lamy 2000 but with a retractible click gold nib, a little more softness, less ink capacity, it trades punches with the lamy 2000 all day in give-and-take.

Vintage pens are also a consideration - talk to greg minuskin or nathaniel at thepenmarket.com. A good vintage pen has a lot more presence and character than many modern pens and can be had very reasonably. I love my scheaffer craftsman, 14k, a little soft, lovely writer, spent $45. My statesman snorkel was $85 and might be one of the best writers I own.

Edited by Honeybadgers

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

Thank you what you just said makes a lot of sense.

The exam I'm giving is not technical and more like bar exam which means it's going to be lengthy which requires fast writing. Do you think platinum 3776 and fb loom would fit the bill ?

I live in a farmhouse disconnected from civilisation as the circumstances shall have it, the only way for me to buy any of it is through amazon india. However the loom, platinum 3776 and lamy 2k, available here. Would you like to further narrow down your recommendation ?

What does "Need A Wilson For This Cast-Away" even mean? Sorry but is that a common thing in India?

lol. I use it in the sense of a movie called "cast-away" starring tom hanks, i meant is as an euphemism for someone helping me, I realise it was bad decision to use this. It is not a common thing in India at all.

Edited by Oyerane

lol. I use it in the sense of a movie called "cast-away" starring tom hanks, i meant is as an euphemism for someone helping me, I realise it was bad decision to use this. It is not a common thing in India at all.

If I remember correctly, Wilson was a volleyball? Very hard to write with those... :lol:

You really have quite a few options here, but I'd be inclined to recommend a TWSBI, a Vac 700R or a Diamond 580. Both have massive ink capacities, and both write really nicely. Not everyone's a fan when it comes to the brand - but I've found them very reliable, they're significantly cheaper than a Platinum 3776 or a Lamy 2000, and have a larger ink capacity than the F-C Loom!

I got the movie reference. Pretty good. :)

Speaking of a lower price, but good writers anyway: a TWSBI Eco would work. I have one with a fine point, it's reliable and flows well. Even less expensive, a Platinum Plaisir. It uses cartridges but they have a large ink capacity, and come in many body colors with either fine or medium points. I have multiples! Just take some extra Platinum cartridges along and you should be okay. Welcome aboard and good luck.

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

If I remember correctly, Wilson was a volleyball? Very hard to write with those... :lol:

You really have quite a few options here, but I'd be inclined to recommend a TWSBI, a Vac 700R or a Diamond 580. Both have massive ink capacities, and both write really nicely. Not everyone's a fan when it comes to the brand - but I've found them very reliable, they're significantly cheaper than a Platinum 3776 or a Lamy 2000, and have a larger ink capacity than the F-C Loom!

Wilson indeed was a volleyball and it also was a personified virtual friend of the cast-away so it was in that context i intended to post this but clearly it was not the right choice. Anyways thank you, for you recommendation, I'm inclined towards TWSBI too, but i have never seen it in india leave apart use it. Although it is available on amazon india and is quite affordable.

There are plethora of reviews available but they almost are contradictory to one another, so can you tell me from your personal experience if you find them smooth, the only consideration being good writing experience(not ink capacity). The price is also not a consideration since i will be using it day and night and i don't want to sacrifice quality over price as in long term i think it will even out. (still price being upto or less than lamy 2000 for reference)

Thank you for your time.

I got the movie reference. Pretty good. :)

Speaking of a lower price, but good writers anyway: a TWSBI Eco would work. I have one with a fine point, it's reliable and flows well. Even less expensive, a Platinum Plaisir. It uses cartridges but they have a large ink capacity, and come in many body colors with either fine or medium points. I have multiples! Just take some extra Platinum cartridges along and you should be okay. Welcome aboard and good luck.

haha finally someone who gets it :) ,

thank you for taking time to reply to this and for your recommendation. Anyways like i just mentioned, i will be buying this pen and will use the hell out of it, so i don't want to sacrifice writing experience over price that is to say i don't mind paying more money as long as it writes well but if these pens are indeed the kind you can use day and night, months after months then i would definitely consider it even if they are cheaper. (the reference for price being lesser than lamy 2000). ( I just have been saving since quite a while normally i would leap for cheapest available but right now i can spend quite liberally)

the considerations i have are only writability, i just write softly and hence i need pen which are little on the smoother side. But ill consider your recommendation.

Thank you

Edited by Oyerane

Nice and reliable pens that do not break the bank would be the Pilot Custom 74 and 91.

You could also get many steel-nibbed, but still nicely writing, pens for less money though, as many have already observed.

Nice and reliable pens that do not break the bank would be the Pilot Custom 74 and 91.

You could also get many steel-nibbed, but still nicely writing, pens for less money though, as many have already observed.

Thank you for your suggestion :)

haha finally someone who gets it :) ,

thank you for taking time to reply to this and for your recommendation. Anyways like i just mentioned, i will be buying this pen and will use the hell out of it, so i don't want to sacrifice writing experience over price but if these pens are indeed the kind you can use day and night, months after months then i would definitely consider it. (the reference for price being lesser than lamy 2000). ( I just have been saving since quite a while normally i would leap for cheapest available option)

the considerations i have are only writability, i just write softly and hence i need pen which are little on the smoother side. But ill consider your recommendation.

Thank you

With its lightweight aluminum body, the Platinum Plaisir can take being carried around. It also has the Platinum type of cap (found on their more expensive pens) that ensures it will write even if you leave it alone for a few days. Inexpensive enough to buy a back-up, good-looking, and the fine point is very smooth (so is the medium, but I don't know how big your handwriting is).

With its lightweight aluminum body, the Platinum Plaisir can take being carried around. It also has the Platinum type of cap (found on their more expensive pens) that ensures it will write even if you leave it alone for a few days. Inexpensive enough to buy a back-up, good-looking, and the fine point is very smooth (so is the medium, but I don't know how big your handwriting is).

i am attaching my writing sample

thank you for your feedback.

post-139773-0-64655600-1509640654_thumb.jpg

Edited by Oyerane

I used Parker 45 fountain pens through four years of university. It is still an excellent "workhorse" pen. That was 1968. Were I beginning college, in year 2017, I would carry two Pilot Metropolitan fountain pens. Both would be loaded with Pilot Black ink, as it flows well and is forgiving of neglect. (I like medium nibs for school.)

Edited by Sasha Royale

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

i am attaching my writing sample

thank you for your feedback.

Okay...I'm just a big fan of the Plaisirs. ;)

But I also have two of the Platinum 3776. Your writing shows you'd probably like the Fine nib.

I used Parker 45 fountain pens through four years of university. It is still an excellent "workhorse" pen. That was 1968. Were I beginning college, in year 2017, I would carry two Pilot Metropolitan fountain pens. Both would be loaded with Pilot Black ink, as it flows well and is forgiving of neglect. (I like medium nibs for school.)

thank you for your suggestion :)

Okay...I'm just a big fan of the Plaisirs. ;)

But I also have two of the Platinum 3776. Your writing shows you'd probably like the Fine nib.

hahaha i would definitely give it a try, is there significant difference in writing of both or is it just aesthetics, ?

Two pens fit the bill - the platinum 3776 century and the lamy 2000.

Honestly, there are a ton of cheaper pens that fit the smoothness bill with steel nibs. I am an ENORMOUS fan of what I consider the benchmark for all fountain pen steel nibs - the faber castell loom.

I don't think the lamy 2000 is anything special as far as writing goes. Yes it's smooth and lovely and well made and a piece of modernist art. But its nib has no flex at all, there's no softness, it's just a nail. If you don't LOVE the way it looks, the way it writes won't change your mind. If you love how it looks (like me and many others) it will not disappoint.

The platinum 3776 is not quite as nicely made but can be had with a wide variety of nibs, some soft, and the pen itself just has much more presence. It's also a spectacular writer.

As far as a pen that can be used every single day, the 2000 has a large ink capacity, a great clip, durable materials, snap cap, it's kind of a quintessential piece of modernist design, form follows function in every way.

Another pen to consider is a TWSBI VAC700R. Steel nib, but it's no harder than a lamy 2000's nail, and it's also got good build quality and plenty of presence. Cheaper too (TWSBI nibs are awesome)

if I were to point someone to a first fountain pen, the Loom takes the cake in terms of spectacular fit and finish, feel in the hand, and writing performance, for the price. Followed by the 3776 with a soft fine nib.

If I were going in to my MCAT and only had one pen available, my lamy 2000 EF would definitely be in my bag, not my visconti.

Also look at the pilot vanishing point. Similar to the lamy 2000 but with a retractible click gold nib, a little more softness, less ink capacity, it trades punches with the lamy 2000 all day in give-and-take.

Vintage pens are also a consideration - talk to greg minuskin or nathaniel at thepenmarket.com. A good vintage pen has a lot more presence and character than many modern pens and can be had very reasonably. I love my scheaffer craftsman, 14k, a little soft, lovely writer, spent $45. My statesman snorkel was $85 and might be one of the best writers I own.

I like your idea about vintage pens and i got in touch with nathaniel at pen market.com, i think ill find what i am looking for. Thanking you for your suggestion.

hahaha i would definitely give it a try, is there significant difference in writing of both or is it just aesthetics, ?

It is actually a bit of both.

The 3776 has a somewhat soft gold nib and the Bourgogne and Chartres Blue models are made of a stunning translucent material (acrylic, I think). Of course they are also available in basic black!

Whereas the Plaisir is lightweight aluminum with a steel nib. You will notice a difference writing, but the Plaisir is still a very nice pen, especially given the price.

I would go with the Lamy 2000. As it's a piston filling pen it holds more ink than most cartridge/converter pens so will need to be filled less frequently. On the other hand if you wanted a pen that you could carry spare cartridges for then go for a cartridge/converter pen. If you like your Lamy Safaris then maybe consider a Lamy Al-Star or even LX as an upgrade?