Lecai Acrylic Eyedropper With Waterman #2 Wet Noodle (Also Stock Review)

Honeybadgers

Down to about 1/4 full and it has not burped. Also it refuses to dry out when left for a few days and overall is a pretty much perfect pen.

This thing is a real beast of a daily carry pen. It can hold a swimming pool full of ink and actually use it - I'll report back if this thing actually decides to finally burp.

It sounds good this last one, I ordered one, it seems very good with an vintage nib

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Honeybadgers

• truthpil

• abuomar

• fountainpen51

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks, Honeybadgers, this is the third pen you've talked me into lately haha.

I should have it by the end of the week. Just wish it had a clip or some kind of nub to keep it from rolling off the desk.

fpn_1451608922__truthpil_signature_small

Thought I'd pop in to mention that I've experienced minor burping with this pen pretty consistently once it's down to ~1/4 capacity. It doesn't bother me, because I expect it to happen with eyedroppers. I'd be interested to know if your newer version of the pen can consistently avoid burping--that'd be pretty great!

Maybe you could set the feed a little tighter to the nib with boiling water or a low candle. I offically finished the pen without any burping at all!

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

Maybe you could set the feed a little tighter to the nib with boiling water or a low candle. I offically finished the pen without any burping at all!

That's amazing!!!

That's amazing!!!

Yep, I've never had that happen with a single eyedropper pen in my collection before.

This pen is a freaking marvel. Find yourself a #2 flex nib and ENJOY this pen!

(bear in mind that I did have to use a low candle to bend a feed that I got with the $5 delike bent nib package)

Edited by Honeybadgers

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

Mine arrived and I got the kind that takes 7 turns to take the lids off. :(

Ebay seller to avoid: https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Transparent-Acrylic-Fountain-Pen-0-5mm-Nib-For-Glitter-Colorful-Ink-Xmas-Gifts/282671073324?hash=item41d082482c:g:h8oAAOSwLdNZy1Sk

Edited by AmandaW

Will work for pens... :unsure:

Yep, I've never had that happen with a single eyedropper pen in my collection before.

This pen is a freaking marvel. Find yourself a #2 flex nib and ENJOY this pen!

(bear in mind that I did have to use a low candle to bend a feed that I got with the $5 delike bent nib package)

Honeybadger, please share the link to the eBay listing where you bought your Lecai from. I'd like to get one and would prefer the ones which take 7 turns to uncap.

Try turning the lid and body at the same time, it will shorten the number of turns to separate, even if it is not so comfortable. I noticed that I also ordered the 7-lap spin.

So thankful I ended up with the two and a half turn version, but that was ordered within China. It's really marvelous little pen, smaller and lighter than I expected.

Honeybadger, please share the link to the eBay listing where you bought your Lecai from. I'd like to get one and would prefer the ones which take 7 turns to uncap.

It may not be as simple as that: when you're dealing with high volume eBayers in China, they may have a mixed assortment of newer and older stock - and may not be willing to do a search to find what you want!

So it's a (bleep) shoot?

I suspect so - but you can always try asking the individual vendors, and see if any of them bother to answer you!

I wonder if what makes this pen burp-free is the nib unit which has a clear o-ring making a nice seal. Also the tons of threading all over the place in the section.

For my first test run I just filled it 1/4 of capacity and did the little eyedropper trick of turning the pen nib down before fully tightening the barrel into the section. Not even a hint of burping or overly wet flow! I think this pen has cured my fear/hatred of eyedroppers.

I wonder if what makes this pen burp-free is the nib unit which has a clear o-ring making a nice seal. Also the tons of threading all over the place in the section.

For my first test run I just filled it 1/4 of capacity and did the little eyedropper trick of turning the pen nib down before fully tightening the barrel into the section. Not even a hint of burping or overly wet flow! I think this pen has cured my fear/hatred of eyedroppers.

What's the point of doing that 'eyedropper trick'? And how do you do it exactly? Fill the barrel with ink, then screw the section with nib halfway in then turning the whole thing nib-side down before tightening the nib-section all the way?

Were yours ordered from Taobao? If yes, can I have the link for it on Taobao please?

What's the point of doing that 'eyedropper trick'? And how do you do it exactly? Fill the barrel with ink, then screw the section with nib halfway in then turning the whole thing nib-side down before tightening the nib-section all the way?

Were yours ordered from Taobao? If yes, can I have the link for it on Taobao please?

It can take a while for ink to saturate the feed of an eyedropper pen so that it's primed and ready to write - you are, after all, adding the ink straight into the barrel. Turning the pen upside down before fully tightening the nib section *forces* some ink down into the feed, and speeds up the process. I sometimes also like to dip the exposed nib and feed (but not the grip section) of an eyedropper pen into the ink bottle - for much the same reason.

It can take a while for ink to saturate the feed of an eyedropper pen so that it's primed and ready to write - you are, after all, adding the ink straight into the barrel. Turning the pen upside down before fully tightening the nib section *forces* some ink down into the feed, and speeds up the process. I sometimes also like to dip the exposed nib and feed (but not the grip section) of an eyedropper pen into the ink bottle - for much the same reason.

Won't ink from the barrel seep/leak out of the section threads when you turn the pen nibside down and before fully tightening the section?

Yes, you do the trick just as you described, but do it over the open ink bottle or a paper towel because a drop of ink might come out the nib.

Here's a tutorial with pictures:

https://www.penchalet.com/pen-how-to/how_to_fill_eye_dropper_fountain_pen.html

Yes, I order all my Chinese pens on Taobao. I bought this Lecai pen, a Penbbs 266, and some Delike pens all from this seller and am very pleased:

https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a230r.1.14.19.2d965439uxena&id=546584426721&ns=1&abbucket=11#detail

Won't ink from the barrel seep/leak out of the section threads when you turn the pen nibside down and before fully tightening the section?

The ink won't leak out of the section threads (on a decent pen anyway), but rather out the nib. That not only primes the nib and feed with ink but also helps alleviate the internal pressure issue that causes burping once the pen heats up in the hand.

I'm going to use the pen to grade 100+ student papers tomorrow and will let you know what happens.

Edited by TruthPil

The ink shouldn't leak from the section threads as long as

(1) there's a fair bit of threading between barrel and grip section (which is usually the case for eyedropper pens);

(2) you've got sufficient silicone grease spread over the threads; and

(3) you've already threaded the grip section a fair way in to the barrel.

@TruthPil is right, though: you will get some ink dripping from the nib and feed, so you need to be prepared for this!