Year Of The Rooster - Question

laverst1

Hi All.

I wonder if anyone can help me with what a quick question? I phoned Cross but the guy I spoke to didn't know the answer.

I bought my wife the Cross, Year of the Rooster pen for her 40th birthday. She loves it but feels that it writes a bit broad for her taste. I would like to replace the nib and I wondered what nib is compatible. I have checked through the forum and from doing so I believe that the pen is essentially a Townsend. Is that correct? If so then I assume any Townsend nib would fit? I have checked prices and if that is the case then it looks like for what would be about an extra £30, I would be as well buying a whole new Townsend pen with a fine nib then swapping the nibs over with my wife.

Can anyone confirm my assumptions please? I would be very grateful.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Poision Pen

• MrThoth

• SpecTP

• laverst1

Yes. It can be done. However, I always suggest "no cost" options, whenever possible. Can she first try writing with lighter pressure ? The result will be finer ink line. It costs nothing. Nib replacement remain an option.

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

• 1 month later...

I too have this pen. And for sure I will be swapping out the way-to-broad “medium” nib for one of their fine nibs. The B&M store from where the pen was purchased will order one for me. They can also be bought right from Cross.

Nakaya Aka-tamenuri Long Cigar, standard fine two tone nib/ Nakaya Aka-tamenuri Piccolo, soft medium stub in two tone/ Nakaya Aka-tamenuri Neo Standard, medium cursive italic/ Sailor Pro Gear fine/ Sailor Pro Gear medium cursive italic/ Pelikan M800 extra fine/ 1954 Monte Rosa medium left oblique/ Nakaya Naka-ai, medium left oblique, Heki-Tamenuri/Sailor Realo ll, medium left oblique/ Cross Townsend “Year Of The Rooster” medium/ Pilot Vanishing Point, fine.

Oh....and why oh why did Cross not have that Swarovski Crystal sit higher outside of the cap? All the sparkle is buried way to deep. Pity.

Nakaya Aka-tamenuri Long Cigar, standard fine two tone nib/ Nakaya Aka-tamenuri Piccolo, soft medium stub in two tone/ Nakaya Aka-tamenuri Neo Standard, medium cursive italic/ Sailor Pro Gear fine/ Sailor Pro Gear medium cursive italic/ Pelikan M800 extra fine/ 1954 Monte Rosa medium left oblique/ Nakaya Naka-ai, medium left oblique, Heki-Tamenuri/Sailor Realo ll, medium left oblique/ Cross Townsend “Year Of The Rooster” medium/ Pilot Vanishing Point, fine.

One more thing. Does anyone post their “Year Of The xxxxxxx” pens? I would like to but I am thinking it would damage the finish on the barrel. Opinions?

it depends on the pen. not all of the 'Year of xxx' Cross pens are Townsend style. My year of the snake and year of the goat are two different styles. I think the year of the snake can post, but not sure the year of the goat can.

• 3 months later...

Here's a list of the "Year Of" Cross pens that I own, and their body styles:

Year of the Dragon 2012: Sauvage

Year of the Snake 2013: Apogee

Year of the Horse 2014: Sauvage

Year of the Goat 2015: Sauvage

Year of the Monkey 2016: Sauvage (man oh man, I'd love to see this beautiful teal color on a Townsend...)

Year of the Rooster 2017: Townsend

Year of the Dog 2018: Townsend

My guess is that they'll stick with the Townsend body going forward, but that's just a guess.

MrThoth

Scribe, Master of Mystic Lore, Young Curmudgeon

Does anyone know if they've actually discontinued the Sauvage? It's not on their website anymore~

I don't have any solid information, but that's my suspicion. I don't recall seeing any Sauvage pens on their website or in their catalogs for a long time now -- I'd say the Year of the Monkey 2016 would be the last new one I remember. And that would explain why they switched to a different body style for the Asian Zodiac pens.

MrThoth

Scribe, Master of Mystic Lore, Young Curmudgeon

• 4 months later...

Cross sure does work in mysterious ways. I would say there is some indication hat Sauvage was a success-

1. It seems to have been well-liked during its lifetime (judging from reviews), and

2. More importantly, it seems to have held its value in the after-market. The market is not awash with used pens. Even the surplus "new old stock" whilst discounted, is not discounted to any vast degree. They're not giving them away.

What I don't know, of course, is what the cost of that success was. Maybe, like the Signature, it was too expensive to make. Enameled crocodiles don't come cheap and python ivory is virtually unobtainable.

Nevertheless, it seems odd to me that the shapely Sauvage should be discontinued. And yet, and yet... it really does seem to have disappeared down the ink well of history.

I suppose the top brass might have decided Cross had that part of the market covered and what they needed more were new issues at lower price points. If so, it is a shame. I think the extinction of Sauvage--and the abolition of Apogee--in purely pen terms, were sad losses both.

Edited by Braxfield

"They come as a boon and a blessing to men,
the Pickwick, the Owl and the Waverley Pen."