I'm A Sad, Pathetic Stationery Junkie.

KreepyKen

I have a confession to make. I have not bought a new notebook for more than two weeks. I feel that I have let you all down.

Recognizing that you're not (or might not be) an addict is the first step in turning things around and shows that you're not too far gone yet.

I love the smell of fountain pen ink in the morning.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Misfit

• inkypete

• A Smug Dill

• AmandaW

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Because I had zero need to for extra paper, I visited an art school supply store in a city nearby and found Fabriano EcoQua A4 notebooks. For 2,5€ each they're neither cheap nor expensive, so I bought a blank one and a lined one. Now my Fabriano Ocra notepad isn't lonely anymore!

fpn_1527520185__fabriano_ocra_ecoqua.jpg

fpn_1502425191__letter-mini.png

Because I had zero need to for extra paper, I visited an art school supply store in a city nearby and found Fabriano EcoQua A4 notebooks. For 2,5€ each they're neither cheap nor expensive, so I bought a blank one and a lined one. Now my Fabriano Ocra notepad isn't lonely anymore!

fpn_1527520185__fabriano_ocra_ecoqua.jpg

Although it hasn't slowed my spending, I haven't needed to buy more paper since 2011 or 2012. That must've been when the hardwiring in my brain connecting the purchase impulse for paper to the need for paper got corroded. I would get it fixed except I can't afford the co-payment.

Edited by Bookman

I love the smell of fountain pen ink in the morning.

Sometimes I think I have too much stationery. (Primarily assorted letter papers; a few notebooks, but not many.) Then I check here and I'm comforted that it isn't too much at all.

And I write letters all the time, so I'm actually using it. It is all justified, right?

I just sent a bunch of stationery as part of an ink sample swap. The recipient was surprised by how much I sent. She thought it was a lot; I thought it was a small sample.

I think this is an inherited trait. When I got married and bought a home, my Mom order personalized, embossed stationery as a gift; it had my name, my spouse's name, our address. She'd previously made stationery for me of various kinds, nearly each time I moved. [i recently used some that she made for me in 1994. Yes, I still have it. A recently-released USPS stamp is a perfect match for it.] I still have some of the stationery dyes from my parents; my Mom's initials, my father's full name (which I remember seeing printed on calling cards). When I was about 10, my father had a rubber stamp made for me of my signature, which I'd just learned in cursive; he bought a purple-ink stamp pad to go with it. When I found a few old fountain pens (which got me into this whole mess, starting in high school), not only did they encourage me to use and enjoy them, my father made sure I had a bottle of his favorite ink (Quink Blue-Black) and pointed me in the right direction to the office supply store that would likely (and did) have Esterbrook nibs. And I remember winning "best correspondent" in summer camp in junior high because Dad and I wrote frequently; his envelopes were always fun and eye-catching.

(P.S. Anyone w/a US mailing address want a sample pack of stationery? I'll send some writing papers and cards and a few ink samples, if you'd like. Send me a PM. I'm happy to just send this, but if you feel like doing a mini-cleanup for your stash, we can make this a swap.)

Update: This pack was claimed immediately and on its way to a stationery junkie! I may offer up another sometime soon.

Edited by goodpens

I too have always loved the smell of paper and the smell of fresh paper from a bookstore. When I was a child my darling Aunt, a teacher, used to take me to the Dennison’s stationary store in mid-town Manhattan. This was always the highlight of my visits with her from our home in the deep burbs of upstate Hudson Valley NY. The company still exists as the Avery/Dennison you all know as the makers of all sorts of labels, but no more stationary stores. As a kid the Dennison store was a magical place full of all sorts of paper goods, cool school supplies, notebooks, stickers, and notepaper and envelopes of every kind.

What a great memory!

I really need to find a time machine and go tell my 20 year old self to stash away a few cases. They were dirt common and cheap(1) and with good quality carbon paper you could easily make 6-7 legible copies per pass.

-k

(1) No longer the case. Just looked :(

Is it bad that I actually still have a box of carbon paper?

Is it bad that I actually still have a box of carbon paper?

Carbon paper was awesome. My use case was not actually typing, but taking lecture notes. You see, I wasn't a big fan of getting up early and going to class (or going to class at all).

It didn't help that our printed material was useless and the statement of record *was* the lectures. If you got behind on that, you were toast.

So we bought the best, most touch-sensitive Pelikan carbon paper we could find and my then girlfriend(*) took notes in duplicate.

-k

(*) Knew she was a keeper. Maybe that's why 30+ years later we're still married :D

So, is it a bad thing that I walked a mile, in the rain, to the Chicago Anderson Pens for a bottle of ink, then spent WELL over an hour in Chicago traffic to get to Kinokuniya, only to buy Midori and Tomoe papers, and some stationery? NONE of which I needed, BTW?

And that this added an hour in the opposite direction to my 3.5 hour drive home to Indiana?

Is this a bad thing?

Sharon in Indiana

Edited by sharonspens

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." Earnest Hemingway

I aspire to be you :-) You are the antithesis of a stationery junkie. Nobody properly infected with the bug would dream of making their own diary to better meet their requirements or save money. A truly sad & pathetic stationery junkie has shelves and cupboards full of pristine diaries & notebooks that are worth more than all the merchandise stocked by the largest stationery wholesaler & are actually useless for their needs. I am one such person :-(

Migo, I love you. I'm still like you.

David, I have been you - $150 in labor to save money.

BUT NOW - I am MIGO-DAVID I have spent thousands of labor-dollars to develop the perfect paper system, and I print it on my fountain pen friendly paper.

I am fulfilled.

OH but I still have a Techno Journal for my ink comparisons.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

I can support you on the Exacompta FAF deskpad misfit. It is both stylish and practical. I am onto my second refill and have several grid refill packs just in case.

So inkypete, I think you need to get some.

I was feeling smug reading this thread just now, thinking I hadnt bought any notebooks for a couple of weeks. Then I remembered that I bought one yesterday. Doh

I wrote on a blank sheet from my FAF pad with Lamy Dark Lilac. I can see the gold sheen on the paper. You hit it in stylish too.

Posted Image

I wrote on a blank sheet from my FAF pad with Lamy Dark Lilac. I can see the gold sheen on the paper. You hit it in stylish too.

Of course, that goes without saying. *smiles smugly*

My daily carry bag to the office, includes a fair amount of that.....

1- 12 oz bottle Pepsi

1-20+ oz stainless steel water bottle, chilled

1-Franklin planner

1-current book if I choose to read rather than write-currently a Sandy Koufax biography

1- red n black A4 wirebound

1-pack of writing supplies: This includes, but can change from day to day

Rhodia pads (A4) Blank, Grid, sometimes some Dot Pad

Basildon Bond - duke size

at least one miscellaneous pad approx A5 size

Tomoe River cream 52 gsm up to 100 sheets.

blotter paper

note cards - a few

envelopes - standard #10 business envelopes. Sometimes some smaller ones too.

Most recent letters received that I haven't answered. (3-4 at any given time)

other miscellaneous items.

oh, inked pens- currently 10.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

• 4 weeks later...

My Field Notes subscription notebooks arrived today. So cool with NASA space program notebooks. I expected reticle paper but they have grid paper. I wish they were lined.

But I still want some A5 Leuchtturm notebooks.

Posted Image

I travelled to a big city last week and didn't return with a new notebook!

I was smart and strolled around tje city center during lunch break and in that one open stationery shop I found (I long since stopped resisting stepping into every stationery shop in sight), I asked specifically for a Fabriano ocra pad, and they didn't have one, and I walked out without a new notebook!! I'm proud of me!

Though I'm about to finish my Blasetti notebook so... Hehe, who knows, you know? ;-)

I travelled to a big city last week and didn't return with a new notebook!

I was smart and strolled around tje city center during lunch break and in that one open stationery shop I found (I long since stopped resisting stepping into every stationery shop in sight), I asked specifically for a Fabriano ocra pad, and they didn't have one, and I walked out without a new notebook!! I'm proud of me!

Though I'm about to finish my Blasetti notebook so... Hehe, who knows, you know? ;-)

You should be ashamed of yourself! If that happens twice in a row you can longer be a part of this thread.

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/7260/postminipo0.png

You should be ashamed of yourself! If that happens twice in a row you can longer be a part of this thread.

Next post will have a picture of my fourth Fabriano notebook of this 2018!

My people!

I breathe Black n Red, and a Rhodia dotpad is slowly filling with inky goodness. What I need is a FP-friendly version of a Moleskine. The A4 B&R doesn't fit in a white coat pocket, and the A6 is much too small.

Physician- signing your scripts with Skrips!

I'm so tough I vacation in Detroit.

Stocked up on several Nanami Seven Seas notebooks a couple of weeks ago. Between my stock of them, my stock of Paper for Fountain Pens B5 hardcover notebooks and my stock of miscellaneous Tomoe River notebooks, I have enough TR notebooks to last about 20 years. (Don’t get me started on my Rhodes, Delfonics and Fabrianos...)