I'm A Sad, Pathetic Stationery Junkie.

KreepyKen

16 hours ago, D B Holtz said:

Why the English language has so many different meanings for the same word is still a mystery to me,

When I read Crystal's The Stories of English I learned so much about precisely this topic.  Etymologically different but similar sounding words abound!  I had always though of English as a hodgepodge of French and Anglo-Saxon and had no clue as to the extent to which Old Norse played a role.

Plus, variety makes for more diverse writing styles and poetic options!  :)

Festina lente

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Misfit

• inkypete

• A Smug Dill

• AmandaW

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, taimdala said:

IKR?!

?

I take the reappearance of the A5 300 sheet as a positive sign.  On the other hand a pallet  may well have been discovered in the far reaches of a dusty warehouse.  We'll see.

Change is inevitable.  I find it best to keep a relaxed mind and adapt to that which I have no power to change.

Add lightness and simplicate.

I ordered a Nuuna notebook with the Moon on the cover from Cult Pens because they have a 10% off sale until tomorrow.  Plus they had the best price on the Retro 51 Escape fountain pen. 

Posted Image

I am having trouble finding standard size bordered letter sheet paper from anyone other than Crane.  My old letter sheets were William Arthur, but it seems as if they have been subsumed into Crane.  I have tried some other companies, and always ended up choosing between bordered half-sheets and unbordered letter sheets. Yes, I want personalization, but they can be embossed rather than engraved.  Though I do still have my old plates around somewhere....  I am not willing to pay Crane prices.

Along the way I discovered that two companies, American Stationery and Merrimade, appear to be the same company, with the same products, but are aimed at different price points.   

It's so hard knowing exactly what one wants, sometimes.  Especially when it used to be easily available at the neighborhood stationery shop -- oh wait, that's gone, too.  

:(

Edited by essayfaire
typo

Festina lente

2 hours ago, D B Holtz said:

@essayfaire - That book sounds interesting.  I'll see if I can get it from my library.  DB

I hope you can - I enjoyed it and learned a lot. These days my library seems to have fewer books, and I find myself buying things off Alibris and abebooks more than I should have to.  When I'm lucky they can ILL.

Festina lente

On 1/30/2022 at 3:14 AM, ParramattaPaul said:

It is commonly used in book publishing, proofreading, and copy editing.

Good to know since I’m pondering proofreading as a work at home job. 

Posted Image

18 minutes ago, Misfit said:

Good to know since I’m pondering proofreading as a work at home job. 

I can recommend it, especially you live near a university and advertise yourself and your service on student bulletin boards and websites. That is what an associate does to supplement his retirement income and for mental activity.

8 hours ago, essayfaire said:

These days my library seems to have fewer books

Yes that has happened here with some libraries. Others are still great! I found I was able to join up in another shire which has actually expanded it's collection.

Will work for pens... :unsure:

11 hours ago, AmandaW said:

Yes that has happened here with some libraries. Others are still great! I found I was able to join up in another shire which has actually expanded it's collection.

I joined the State library in order to use their Interlibrary Loan.  Even though my normal library is in the same network, the State Lib.  seems to have access to more participating institutions and never charges for anything.

At one point, years ago, I paid to become a booster of the library at the local university so that I could access their books as well.

Festina lente

• 2 weeks later...

I ordered these from Amazon, and they arrived quickly with no Prime membership. On the left is an AstroReality notebook, on the small side at 5.9” x 3.9”. It has a flexible spine to help it lay flat, though how well it will do that on its own is a mystery at present. It has 192 blank pages.  I prefer ruled, but I wanted the Apollo 11 notebook. A Saturn V rocket is on the cover. 

On the right is a “PU leather” notebook with 6 rings inside. It has blank Kraft color pages, perhaps a shade darker. It’s 7” x 5”, and has 80 sheets.  I got it to put stickers in. I have some from pen companies, Rickshaw Bags, and some a friend sends me in her letters. 

Both notebooks came in boxes. The AR notebook box is a nice style and a good weight. The red notebook’s box has a cutout with edges that frame the compass rose.  That box is a bit flimsy. Both boxes were in great shape. 

I also got a composition notebook from Walmart with palm leaves on it.  It’s so easy to put notebooks in Walmart grocery pickup orders. 

B8134718-07E2-4FFE-9AF1-3FF32822C35F.jpeg

9A555CD5-3524-4B17-A85B-ECF21DB67650.jpeg

Posted Image

An email about snow coming, plus my Mom’s prescription being in impelled me to get to Walmart this evening. It’s being remodeled as far as a new floor. But not in the office supply area.  So I picked up in person the notebooks I’d put in my grocery pickup order. 

Before them, I must say if anyone is interested in the AR space notebooks, the Apollo 11 is the outlier. It has cardboard covers.  I got the Mars one for Christmas that is larger, and nicer. 

Onto my goodies from today. On the left is the Exceed notebook.  It has the nicer 78 gsm paper. It is cream colored.  It has an expandable inner pocket, and a black ribbon bookmark. It has 96 sheets. 

On the right is a Pen+Gear notebook with perforated pages, made in Vietnam. It also has an expandable pocket inside, and one ribbon bookmark the same color as the strap.  It has 160 pages. 

Both notebooks are lined, and pocket size. The mystery is what will I do with them?  I saw a post on the blog Notebook Stories about a reader’s notebook. Some fold corners on the page of a quote they plan to write down later. I would use slips of paper to mark those pages.  Or write the pages on some neat Oxford index cards I got awhile back. The floral covered one would be the leader in writing down book quotes. 

70AF95F9-5214-4A63-9F50-08AFA67BBEBC.jpeg

Posted Image

Having a stash of spare stationery proved to be useful yesterday because I needed a project and had no hope of getting out to acquire supplies. (I'm stuck at home with my co-morbidities as the virus is now being allowed to take off here.) The chosen thing to do was a 'Currently Inked' book. I already have a digital Log of all my pens - I know every detail of each one's history including every ink that's ever been in them and when* - but that doesn't tend to keep front of mind what I have inked.  (*Except for one PenBBS 323... I don't even remember inking it.)

That idea required an A5 fountain pen friendly notebook. Totally sane to be able to grab a new Rhodia off the shelf just like that.

The result is visual, I can look through and choose something to write with and be reminded that I'm not allowed to ink another pen until all 62 of these have been written empty and cleaned. :blush:

large.currently_inked.jpg.f7e482b4b2e9839547e3e0d2c8ba7076.jpg

I’ve wanted some of those A5 Rhodia notebooks that come in the rainbow of colors. I could never decide on a color. It was nice to get to see them at The Pen Place back when pen club met just outside the store. 

Posted Image

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone bought anything this week because they wanted rather than needed it?

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/7260/postminipo0.png

Yeah.  I bought some ... oh, wait.  You meant stationary.

Never mind.

1 hour ago, inkypete said:

Anyone bought anything this week because they wanted rather than needed it?

I won a pen that I don't really need. Does that count? This is my third attempt to acquired it. Or fourth, I forgotten. Determination in the face of every manner of cancelled and messed up order. I still want one cos Smug has one.

Sadly no paper. Or inks. Or much else. The shops are empty of things to buy. You want pasta with that? :lticaptd:

Not many people out there either - we're all staying home - there's no point in going out and The Virus has arrived. That's about the only thing that's easy to get...