I'm A Sad, Pathetic Stationery Junkie.

KreepyKen

4 hours ago, A Smug Dill said:

Should've bought more of those $2 Clairefontaine Age Bag A4 books…

In my top 5 notebooks - use the A5s everyday. $2 A4 is an amazing bargain.

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/7260/postminipo0.png

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Misfit

• inkypete

• A Smug Dill

• AmandaW

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

7 minutes ago, inkypete said:

In my top 5 notebooks - use the A5s everyday. $2 A4 is an amazing bargain.

They are. I did end up with 30 (for journalling, not calligraphy practice).

My calligraphy practice pad problem is already on the way to being solved. I now have a quantity of the paper ordinarily used for making cheque books. It was cut to the wrong size for the offset press - sort of A4 plus a bit - for their process it wasn't worth fussing with. No bleed, transparent enough, smooth enough. Now to get it made into pads. And when it's trimmed it will be perfectly A4. :wub:

Will work for pens... :unsure:

Confession.  It's been two months since I last purchased an A5 journal.  Waiting for the new TR to arrive at retailers.  In the interim I promise to get another Stalogy. 

Add lightness and simplicate.

43 minutes ago, Karmachanic said:

Confession.  It's been two months since I last purchased an A5 journal.  Waiting for the new TR to arrive at retailers.  In the interim I promise to get another Stalogy. 

Lift your game. Buy something not because you need it just because you like it.

2 minutes ago, inkypete said:

Lift your game. Buy something not because you need it just because you like it.

I think the 24 A5 Journals in hand, TR 52, TR 68, from  Elia, Musubi, Taroko and Nanami, in addition to Stalogy indicate the lack of need.  The liking part is waiting for Sanzen TR. 😀

17 hours ago, A Smug Dill said:

If you say so. I'm pretty sure the 50-sheet A4 Planning Pads from Daiso, notwithstanding having pale blue gridlines 5mm apart, is sufficiently thin for the lines of your guide sheet to show through. Those pads are available in both landscape and portrait orientation, assuming the binding for the pad is at the top of the page, for $3.10 a pad (although I'm not sure what Daiso's prices are in Western Australia these days; I always thought the chain's pricing is consistent nationwide).

large.1971621813_DaisoA4PlanningPadwithAmandasitalicguidesheetshowingthrough.jpg.fab2b9de7851864aa7dbc6ce31957aca.jpg

(I only have the landscape version.)

(Hmmm, I have no idea why the JPG compression seems to have such issues with the typed text in cyan.)

Speaking strictly for myself, I think it's less a matter of JPG compression and more a matter of contrast. The cyan is *nearly* same value as the paper pictured behind it. Perhaps to avoid this, one might add a 1 pixel black stroke around the text? Or just use a darker cyan?

Also, I need to find a Daiso near me! I love the pad pictured!

• 3 weeks later...

Just noted this from another thread and wondered why, as a sad, pathetic, stationery junkie, I never knew that the right hand page of a notebook is called the recto. How did I not know that? Don't want all my friends here to be as embarrassed as me so now you all know before it matters. left hand page is called the verso.

The front or face of a single sheet of paper, or the right-hand page of an open book is called the recto. The back or underside of a single sheet of paper, or the left-hand page of an open book is known as the verso.

1 hour ago, inkypete said:

Just noted this from another thread and wondered why, as a sad, pathetic, stationery junkie, I never knew that the right hand page of a notebook is called the recto. How did I not know that? Don't want all my friends here to be as embarrassed as me so now you all know before it matters. left hand page is called the verso.

The front or face of a single sheet of paper, or the right-hand page of an open book is called the recto. The back or underside of a single sheet of paper, or the left-hand page of an open book is known as the verso.

This is when I tell you that it isn't a 'page', but a 'folio'.

From Merriam-Webster dictionary app

It sounds like an old fashioned term. Thanks to @inkypete for sharing this with his fellow Stationery Junkies. 

62918DC2-ED2A-40D2-AA28-0F7F08467881.png

Posted Image

15 minutes ago, Misfit said:

From Merriam-Webster dictionary app

It sounds like an old fashioned term. Thanks to @inkypete for sharing this with his fellow Stationery Junkies. 

62918DC2-ED2A-40D2-AA28-0F7F08467881.png

It is commonly used in book publishing, proofreading, and copy editing.

1 hour ago, ParramattaPaul said:

It is commonly used in book publishing, proofreading, and copy editing.

And here on FPN.  That aside, I'll report the purchase of a 300 sheet Basicos MR A5, because just in case.

4 hours ago, ParramattaPaul said:

This is when I tell you that it isn't a 'page', but a 'folio'.

Hmm not quite.  A page is one side of a leaf, or sheet.  A folio, from the Latin folium, meaning leaf, is a sheet of paper folded once in the middle, making four pages of a book.

7 hours ago, Karmachanic said:

Hmm not quite.  A page is one side of a leaf, or sheet.  A folio, from the Latin folium, meaning leaf, is a sheet of paper folded once in the middle, making four pages of a book.

Yes, and if my memory serves me correctly from graduate school (which was literally over fifty years ago) a group of folios bound together with the fold on the inside, along the "gutter", consitute a "signature." I'm not absolutely sure about that, but I don't have the time right not to look it up!

1 hour ago, yubaprof said:

Yes, and if my memory serves me correctly from graduate school (which was literally over fifty years ago) a group of folios bound together with the fold on the inside, along the "gutter", consitute a "signature." I'm not absolutely sure about that, but I don't have the time right not to look it up!

Parts of a Book Deconstructed (bookprinting.com)

I looked it up for you. 😊

11 hours ago, Karmachanic said:

And here on FPN.  That aside, I'll report the purchase of a 300 sheet Basicos MR A5, because just in case.

OH SQUEEEEE!!!!!!

I've been looking for this notebook ever since Barnes & Noble stopped carrying them and after Miquel Rius's US webstore stopped selling these direct.

THANK YOU for posting the proper name it's marketed under these days. I'm down to my last dozen of these. Thank you thank you thank you. ♥ ♥ ♥

17 hours ago, inkypete said:

You will also see this usage if you look at descriptions of prints and drawings in museum or auction catalogues.

Festina lente

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

1 hour ago, taimdala said:

I'm down to my last dozen of these.

The No 4 300 sheet disappeared for a year or so in the UK.  I plan on buying one a month for the next five.

5 hours ago, ParramattaPaul said:
5 hours ago, ParramattaPaul said:

I looked it up for you. 😊

Thanks, geezers like me need all of the help we can get. I just noticed the spelling and grammar mistakes I made in that post. I really was in a hurry!

If your signature is made from four sheets folded together to make eight leaves (sixteen pages), then your signature is also a quire.

A set of 24 (sometimes 25) identical sheets of paper (1/20 of a ream) is also a quire, and so is the part of a church reserved for the choir.

Why the English language has so many different meanings for the same word is still a mystery to me, but it's fun to have knowledge of such esoteric terms.

DB

21 hours ago, Karmachanic said:

The No 4 300 sheet disappeared for a year or so in the UK.  I plan on buying one a month for the next five.

IKR?!

The availability of the 300sheet/600 page soft bound journals has been spotty, then dwindling to nothing, in all the retail locations where I live for about 2 years now. I'm not sure if this is MQ's way of phasing out this version of the notebook or if it's only supply-chain issues fouling production of new stock.

Either way, life has taught me that if you find something that works for you, buy multiples if you can. Life has also taught me that my tastes are not mainstream enough to ever trust that whatever I like will ever be made again the following year. So I tend to hoard what I like.