I'm A Sad, Pathetic Stationery Junkie.

KreepyKen

3 hours ago, Bo Bo Olson said:

Yep one day of 94 F....or @ 34.5C.....One day only....

Broke out the AC late, and only used it 3-4 days....In a lot of the time this 'summer' I've been wearing a light cotton sweater....even put it on a couple nights in July and one afternoon.

We just had the coldest May in 62 years....July was not far behind and July follows that trend.

The American physiological border is 90 F to

be hot. In Germany that is 30 or 86 F.....a cool and comfortable American summer day.

All the rain and cool Canada and America needs is here in extra rainy Germany....Even more rain than on a wet year...............city floods, surprised the rivers haven't been flooding.

Lat couple years we had late summer and fall droughts. We got enough ground water now to hinder that.

More than likely too much rain for the crops.....

and next week doesn’t look much better...

And then there is that old farm saying:

“Ist der Mai kühl und nass, füllt’s den Bauern Scheun und Fass,”

but it doesn’t say what happens if it keeps raining into June and July.

Last weekend, I was explaining to someone the old American saying “Knee High by the Fourth of July” (a rough benchmark for corn growth), but it doesn’t seem to translate so well.

What does all this have to do with being a stationery junkie, the reader might reasonably ask?

I don’t know, either, but the crappy weather in N Central Europe sure has given me extra opportunity to write and shop for new papers. I have really put a dent in my Amatruda Amalfi stock, and I need to re-order some Fritz-Schimpf Feinpost.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Misfit

• inkypete

• A Smug Dill

• AmandaW

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 hours ago, inkypete said:

Went to Officeworks today to get some ink for my printer. While I was there I grabbed a pack of Clairefontaine A5 ruled notebooks, black cover, twin pack. I'm not sure why. I just felt like I should.

One can never have enough FP-friendly paper at the ready, and A5 is a convenient size.

Well done.

A pen club friend sent a link to Nanami showing the Seven Seas Writer notebook in stock. After resisting it, $32 after all, I caved after a day, and ordered one.  Sad and pathetic. 

Posted Image

On 6/29/2021 at 5:26 PM, Bo Bo Olson said:

The things advertising will do to get someone's attention.

Looks like I have to get some chopped nuts...for my Sunday...if we ever have summer here in Germany.

The coldest May in 62 years...two years before I landed here the first time.

Mid June, a week of hot, up to for us a hot 94....much of the rest of the time 82F.

Now putting on a light cotton sweater at heavy rainy 63 F....that or put on a long sleeve shirt.

Must be an American thing…

F9072BDD-D086-4F6A-ADED-03BC4BBDA831.png

Posted Image

Should also have whipped cream on top of it....which is where one puts the cherry. and a drizzle of chocolate  or other sweet sauce, caramel, butter scotch or such.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

I’m always a sucker for Space themed notebooks. I found this one at Walmart. The pattern is called Race to Space, and it’s made in Vietnam. 

88C57E46-ABB9-43F1-A6CC-177FB3CFA552.jpeg

Posted Image

I was looking at notebooks on the Target app. I saw a few that were the game Animal Crossing themed. In the description they mention the textured paper is good with ballpoint pen, fountain pen and pencil. Fountain pen! 

Posted Image

1 hour ago, Misfit said:

I’m always a sucker for Space themed notebooks. I found this one at Walmart. The pattern is called Race to Space, and it’s made in Vietnam. 

88C57E46-ABB9-43F1-A6CC-177FB3CFA552.jpeg

Oooh! I need to look for one. Thank you! 

1 hour ago, Misfit said:

I was looking at notebooks on the Target app. I saw a few that were the game Animal Crossing themed. In the description they mention the textured paper is good with ballpoint pen, fountain pen and pencil. Fountain pen! 

Target has amazing deals in the store at the moment.  A stationery person who wants to be happy and not sad should visit Target and buy some of them  Vietnam made,  unison  composition notebook (not sold online), for 50 cents each  and   write write write  to their heart's delight

Unfortunately the Animal Crossing version is $12.99.  It’s cool though, with details that make it worth more than composition notebooks. Target does have cool composition notebooks.  Hopefully I can get there either tomorrow or very soon. 

Idea!  Some of the items I want at Target are on a deal that gets a $5 gift card. I could go in, shop, check out. Take to car, go back in, and use $5 gift card on the Animal Crossing notebook. 

Posted Image

My daughter   was  not  that  fond of composition notebook as well when I sent her a text about the deal.  

More  for cheap old me,  then :) 

I have some composition notebooks I got, and haven’t used. I’m good at that: buying notebooks and not using them. I do like to write letters, and have 10 pen pals or maybe a dozen. 

I need to try the “write, write, write to my heart’s delight.”  Maybe I’d use my notebooks then. 

Posted Image

13 hours ago, Misfit said:

I have some composition notebooks I got, and haven’t used. I’m good at that: buying notebooks and not using them. I do like to write letters, and have 10 pen pals or maybe a dozen. 

I need to try the “write, write, write to my heart’s delight.”  Maybe I’d use my notebooks then. 

We have similar affections, or is it afflictions?

At the moment, my plan is to take most of what I have, to the Commonwealth Pen Show in September and sell them off. Originally I thought I would sell them here on FPN but with the classifieds down and our local pen group (Boston Pen People) not yet meeting, I don't have much flexibility. I have no intention of going on the bay and shipping costs for anything less than a large order pretty much negates most of the cost savings I might offer.

Oh well, at least I don't have to worry about an expiration date! LOL

Oh, I have a ton of ink and pens to sell too!

“Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today, because if you do it today and like it, you can do again tomorrow!”

I went to Target about an hour before closing. I didn’t locate 50¢ composition books. I found the Animal Crossing journal. Instead of the buy, go out, come back, I purchased all. I got a $10 gift card!  

I have played the game Animal Crossing, and like leaves and trees.

image.jpg

Meanwhile my Nanami order arrived today.  The Seven Seas Writer is a very, very nice notebook. 

Posted Image

Are you like me? Every time I see a notebook or pen being used on TV or in a movie I try hard to recognise what they are.

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/7260/postminipo0.png

1 hour ago, inkypete said:

Are you like me? Every time I see a notebook or pen being used on TV or in a movie I try hard to recognise what they are.

No, I'm not.  I confess that my knowledge in the absence of an obsession is too limited to allow me to identify on sight any of the vast majority of pens or notebooks without seeing a logo or label.

On 12/4/2020 at 8:31 PM, Runnin_Ute said:

I realized this afternoon that I only have a few sheets left of Tomoe River 52gsm (A4) in the current opened package. Time to get at least one more. I do have at least one to open up.....

hey Friend, I have some. Will on you.

On 7/18/2021 at 8:56 PM, inkypete said:

I notice them, unfortunately I don’t always recognize the vintage pens. I do notice them. Sometimes I see nibs in shapes that aren’t nibs. 

Posted Image

On 7/18/2021 at 9:56 PM, inkypete said:

OMG, yes!

There was an episode of Elementary where the victim tried to defend herself with a fountain pen. It broke into pieces and the pieces were found at the scene. When Holmes held them up in their evidence bag, I thought to myself that it broke in a really weird place for a fountain pen.  And the break itself looked odd.

It snapped off in the middle of the barrel and it looked like it got sawn in half. Seriously, it looked as if someone had simply taken a Dremel disc to it and sawed straight through until it came out the other side.

Would a fountain pen barrel do that if someone used it to stab someone? And would it break in such a way that it would be a clean straight break? I mean, if it was going to break, I would think it would give way where the barrel screwed into the section and depending on the pre-existing stresses imposed on the pen from screwing/unscrewing/overtightening, the break would be jagged, as the stress fractures cracked and met each other at intersecting points.

If I were the prop department, I would definitely have taken a fountain pen and try to stab a clothed martial arts rubber mannequin with it to break the pen in a realistic manner, pieces and all.

And later on in the episode, when the crime was shown in flashback, I tried to identify the pen in the victim's hand. (Jin Hao Bulow, maybe?)

It was frustrating! I was watching it on Hulu with my hubby and he had the remote control. I couldn't just make him sit through my going back and forth and back and forth on the scene, just to ID a fountain pen. I know it wasn't a Visconti, because the clip was definitely NOT the perfect arc of a Visconti.  It wasn't a Mont Blanc because it didn't have the signature MB star on the cap finial. It didn't quite look like a Sailor, either. Maybe a Diplomat Explorer? No, the silhouette is too girthy for an Explorer.

And so on.

Heck, for all I know, they took a disposable FP and spray painted it black to make it look fancy. If I could just remember the name of the episode, I could spin it up on Hulu on my laptop and replay the scene to my heart's content.

That might seem excessive but then again, I'm also the sort that tries to read the titles of the books on bookcases in the background whenever they occur in movies and tv shows.

whenever I traveled for work I always littered the house with hidden love notes for my wife to find while I was away.  post it notes or postcards usually.  Then i saw a video from Vanness showing little notecards from E Frances called Little Notes.  They come in several cool designs and are perfect for the aforementioned love notes.  Grabbed two designs.  so yeah.. true to the theme.... pathetic stationery junkie.  (but they are really cool)  :)   E. Frances famous Little Notes®- 85 sweet little cards to be used unsparingly – E. Frances Paper (efrancespaper.com)