I'm A Sad, Pathetic Stationery Junkie.

KreepyKen

58 minutes ago, A Smug Dill said:

I bought a couple of these storage boxes from Daiso several weeks ago on a whim, before I had any idea I would be buying so much — or any — of the usually high-priced Graf von Faber-Castell inks and Jacques Herbin inks that were suddenly available at unexpectedly favourable promotional/clearance sale prices. They turn out to be very neat for exactly that:

large.1557986259_DaisoWideCasegoodforstoringGvFCandJacquesHerbininks.jpg.472b9feba5055d4afff3ff43b6558fcd.jpg

Those are nice. Do they stack? 
I SO wish we had Daiso shops here.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Misfit

• inkypete

• A Smug Dill

• AmandaW

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 5/23/2021 at 11:37 AM, mizgeorge said:

Those are nice. Do they stack? 

Yes. There are indentations on the lid to accommodate the four bean-shaped feet from other identical units. 

Edited by A Smug Dill
Whoops, wrong shape

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

• 3 weeks later...

Managed to get to Daiso this weekend. First time for a while thanks to covid lockdown.  No FPs so a little disappointed but managed to snare a few B7 noters in grid rule. These Apica clones are such good value for quick notes. Also grabbed a couple of A5 20 ring clear binders. They fit the Daiso and Muji refills so very handy at the price. I could spend an hour plus in store browsing Daiso stationery.

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/7260/postminipo0.png

I ordered 10 packages of A4 Tomoe River paper to trigger a 10% discount.  My brother paid for half of it, so we bother get 500 sheets of the paper in 5 packages each. 

Posted Image

• 2 weeks later...

The good, the bad, and the horrible.

My wife found stuck away, two glued top paper pads w/no front or back; 15 & 20 sheets, that had to be from the '80's....she told me I'd given them to her..........Must have been back when I was a Ball Point Barbarian....12 or more years ago.

I have still some bond paper that was way too good of a Juki Dasiywheel printer....in I might when the moon is green, have written a letter***. Zander's Bank Post matt 80g, that writes just a slight tad better than new.

***I was a One Man, One Pen guy...had a P-75...in case I ever got bit by a letter. So one saves good ammo.

The Bad....some old in plastic covered typewriter paper..that waited years for the day**...having always good results with typewriter paper....was so disappointed, that it ended up in the printer paper after one line each with three pens.

** Sigh Cubed, to think better paper may have ended up in the printer in an emergency, and that stuff was sitting up top of a four inch paper drawer. 

The Horrible...cubed....those two paper pads have no watermark, so I can never find them again.:crybaby:

Especially when the inks shade better on it ,than Clairefontaine Triomphe.

Sometime in the '80's the Golden Age of Paper died...and no one noticed, ... in there was no net to inform the world.......

This is the second batch of '80's papers that were cheap enough not to cost beer money to a Ball Point Barbarian that I've found (thanks to the wife for one).....back when even cheap paper was coated. ........... I so wonder how the very good to best papers wrote. :(

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

This week I was given 2 boxes of Southworth's Hampshire Vellum by my mother-in-law who is cleaning out closets. Year-to-date I've definitely bought or been given more stationery than I have used.

I'm de-cluttering my den.  I know have a 3 mbox full of unused, unloved stationary that is going to my son and his two boys.  There is also at least 2 kg of stationary odds and sods that no one would want in the recycling bin.  I still have enough stationary, paper, notebooks and journals to keep me well supplied for at least the next 3 years.

3 hours ago, Bo Bo Olson said:

The good, the bad, and the horrible.

My wife found stuck away, two glued top paper pads w/no front or back; 15 & 20 sheets, that had to be from the '80's....she told me I'd given them to her..........Must have been back when I was a Ball Point Barbarian....12 or more years ago.

I have still some bond paper that was way too good of a Juki Dasiywheel printer....in I might when the moon is green, have written a letter***. Zander's Bank Post matt 80g, that writes just a slight tad better than new.

***I was a One Man, One Pen guy...had a P-75...in case I ever got bit by a letter. So one saves good ammo.

The Bad....some old in plastic covered typewriter paper..that waited years for the day**...having always good results with typewriter paper....was so disappointed, that it ended up in the printer paper after one line each with three pens.

** Sigh Cubed, to think better paper may have ended up in the printer in an emergency, and that stuff was sitting up top of a four inch paper drawer. 

The Horrible...cubed....those two paper pads have no watermark, so I can never find them again.:crybaby:

Especially when the inks shade better on it ,than Clairefontaine Triomphe.

Sometime in the '80's the Golden Age of Paper died...and no one noticed, ... in there was no net to inform the world.......

This is the second batch of '80's papers that were cheap enough not to cost beer money to a Ball Point Barbarian that I've found (thanks to the wife for one).....back when even cheap paper was coated. ........... I so wonder how the very good to best papers wrote. :(

You  and the residents of the EU and probably many other places are still  lucky  in comparison to people in the United States.  Many times I see some Clairefontaine or Oxford Optik paper/notebooks  in the EU at a fraction of what it would cost me to get it  in the United States.   

What hurts  even more is when  you see a company like Oxford,  offering a pack of filler Optik-paper in the EU at half the cost of  the US filler copy-like-paper, which is  neither Optik  nor even deserves to be paper :)

For the EU version, Oxford provides details like the paper weight 90g/m2 ..etc. For the US version, they just tell you it is filler paper. I feel like the Rodney Dangerfield of paper most of the time.:lticaptd:

Sorry about that, but up to a couple weeks ago, I'd said mail from Germany to the US was dirt cheap against from the States to here..............how ever due to lack of Convid flights.....what use to cost @E4-5 now costs E15.

Mohawk has a very good reputation from what I read.

I do have 8-10 little boxes of Southworth**; which as a combo laser & ink jet is decent.............all laser&ink jet papers are a compromise.....so not quite as good as laser.

** From the last time I visited the States a decade ago.

Strathmore makes a 100% cotton paper if you don't care for shading. 100-50% cotton is too absorbent for shading inks.

In I chase shading inks, I stay away from 100-50% cotton.

25% allows shading.

Stay away from Roesler, it's a feather paper. Luckily outside of a writing pad, I'd only bought single sheets of it's better paper. One was so sinfully good to write on they would make it illegal to use on Sunday in Kansas:notworthy1:.............a real feather champ.:crybaby:

It Ice Cream Soda was much too sinfully good to enjoy on Sunday; so they made it illegal for Sundays....a week or two later the Ice Cream Sunday was invented.)

The ice cream soda was invented in Denver in the late '70's. Some one with a hangover came by to get the cream and soda cure, and they were out of cream, so the guy put ice cream in on top of the soda.

Coke was a cocaine loaded cure for morpheme addiction. The 'noobie' behind the counter didn't know it was to be made with still water and filled it with soda water............and a best seller was invented through ignorance.

They made 9-pins illegal because men gambled at it, so Bowling was immediately invented, different ball, pins, and scoring system on the 9-pin alley. Different game not the illegal 9-pins.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

2 hours ago, Bo Bo Olson said:

Ice Cream Sunday

FDA (For Da Record) 😁

That would be Ice Cream Sundae.

Robert McCay Green is reputed to have "invented" the ice cream soda in 1872, in Philly.

As for Coca-Cola, well, look that up if interested.

Back to stationery. Adding to the stash, an A5 Stalogy arrived yesterday.

Add lightness and simplicate.

As a kid growing up in Aruba in the 60s, we'd share: one would buy the soda, the other the icecream. Combine and split: icecream soda the cheap way...

a fountain pen is physics in action... Proud member of the SuperPinks

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

Bought a new stapler and I love it. Went plier style rather than traditional desk base.

Needed to start a new notebook today so rummaged through my stock and dragged out an Apica CD11 (A5). Haven't had one in circulation for a while and I sort of forgot just how nice the paper is in this range. Probably the best value A5 notebook on the market, all things considered.

On 6/27/2021 at 2:40 PM, Karmachanic said:

Robert McCay Green is reputed to have "invented" the ice cream soda in 1872, in Philly.

Got info, I'd have to dig out, but not worth it, that Denver was where it was invented......My murderous heroine goes into that ice cream shop to have one.

But it don't matter....I like it with root beer (more than Coke), which is hard enough to find in Germany that I enjoy a root beer alone as a special treat.

@ 1960- 61 I remember getting an ice cream float back when Color TV was still middle class, for 15 cents, when I couldn't afford a quarter for an Ice Cream Sunday. A hot fudge Sunday cost then a big thirty-five cents.

That was the era where the Coke and Pepsi war, forced Coke to go from the traditional 8 oz bottle to Pepsi's 10 oz....then Pepsi up their bottle to a big 12 oz....of today.

43 minutes ago, Bo Bo Olson said:

Ice Cream Sunday.

Yes dear. Whatever you say dear.  🤪

Chocolate-sundae-pin-1.thumb.png.49555ddaddd6e914e388ebce6b8fafb7.png

Add lightness and simplicate.

The things advertising will do to get someone's attention.

Looks like I have to get some chopped nuts...for my Sunday...if we ever have summer here in Germany.

The coldest May in 62 years...two years before I landed here the first time.

Mid June, a week of hot, up to for us a hot 94....much of the rest of the time 82F.

Now putting on a light cotton sweater at heavy rainy 63 F....that or put on a long sleeve shirt.

8 hours ago, Bo Bo Olson said:

Looks like I have to get some chopped nuts...for my Sunday...if we ever have summer here in Germany.

C’mon... we have had at least 4 or 5 really nice summer days😜...at least here in the Upper Rhine Valley...and I think it has been over 30 degrees a few times.

• 2 weeks later...

Went to Officeworks today to get some ink for my printer. While I was there I grabbed a pack of Clairefontaine A5 ruled notebooks, black cover, twin pack. I'm not sure why. I just felt like I should.

On 6/30/2021 at 8:50 AM, N1003U said:

C’mon... we have had at least 4 or 5 really nice summer days😜...at least here in the Upper Rhine Valley...and I think it has been over 30 degrees a few times.

Yep one day of 94 F....or @ 34.5C.....One day only....

Broke out the AC late, and only used it 3-4 days....In a lot of the time this 'summer' I've been wearing a light cotton sweater....even put it on a couple nights in July and one afternoon.

We just had the coldest May in 62 years....July was not far behind and July follows that trend.

The American physiological border is 90 F to

be hot. In Germany that is 30 or 86 F.....a cool and comfortable American summer day.

All the rain and cool Canada and America needs is here in extra rainy Germany....Even more rain than on a wet year...............city floods, surprised the rivers haven't been flooding.

Lat couple years we had late summer and fall droughts. We got enough ground water now to hinder that.

More than likely too much rain for the crops.....