I'm A Sad, Pathetic Stationery Junkie.

KreepyKen

7 hours ago, Misfit said:

You could say it is a cover, but it’s a notebook with that textured cover. Here is a link to understand it. 

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01LZTCMK4?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

Looks nice.

BTW, is that 112 sheets of paper (224 pages) or 112 pages (56 sheets)?

Not that I really need more paper!

“Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today, because if you do it today and like it, you can do again tomorrow!”

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Misfit

• inkypete

• A Smug Dill

• AmandaW

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just as I have started thinking I already have too many pens, and too many bottles of ink, I've realized the amount of unused notebooks I have hoarded. I think it is time to start seriously pondering the opportunity of starting using all of them.

If you are to be ephemeral, leave a good scent.

17 hours ago, Misfit said:

You could say it is a cover, but it’s a notebook with that textured cover. Here is a link to understand it. 

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01LZTCMK4?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

Ah, it's like a Circa!  I tried the Circa system, because I liked the idea of being able to move pages around, but when I discovered the bullet journal indexing technique I decided Circa wasn't worth the hassle and expense.  I think I was hard on my pages.  I had tried both Circa sizes.

Festina lente

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

The Filofax is 56 sheets. It doesn’t have discs, but the pages remove in a similar manner. 

Here is a photo, without flash unfortunately. 
large.A700365E-F755-4037-A548-66670E95B09B.jpeg.845ed5493ac36452cf8217588eaa3deb.jpeg

Posted Image

16 hours ago, Misfit said:

The Filofax is 56 sheets. It doesn’t have discs, but the pages remove in a similar manner. 

Here is a photo, without flash unfortunately. 
large.A700365E-F755-4037-A548-66670E95B09B.jpeg.845ed5493ac36452cf8217588eaa3deb.jpeg

So, IIRC, the price on Amazon was $19.95. That means that each sheet costs $.36. To me that's a very expensive pack of paper.

A while ago I purchased a disc hole-puncher at the second hand store for maybe $10.00. I use that to convert any sheet of paper, light cardboard.divider material, etc. to disc compatible "paper". That way I can choose any paper I want without paying a huge premium.

YMMV, of course.

Either way, enjoy the paper.

“Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today, because if you do it today and like it, you can do again tomorrow!”

Plus the cover.  I actually paid less because the price keeps changing, and I used credit card reward money. At the time I bought it, the Filofax A5 was $18.88, and rewards took it to $15.57. Granted, it’s still not cheap. I figure I can use my Levenger punch with the paper of my choice to add or refill.  

Posted Image

Went to my closest Daiso on the weekend. They have done a relay of the store - I hate the new layout. Didn't buy any stationery - I feel like I let the FPN team down.

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/7260/postminipo0.png

I was in the neighbour of Muji Chatswood last week, so I dropped in to have a look, and was surprised that the stationery and paper products section is all but gone. There was only one type of notebook still sold in the store, effectively these:

but with a revised label on the front of each five-pack, which now claims in English that the product is “anti-bleed-through”. I certainly don’t believe its performance in that regard would have improved since I tried it out three years ago.

As for Daiso, I noted late last month that one of three stores within walking distance from me has closed. It appears that some of its old range of notebook products, which the other two stores didn’t carry, has been picked up by the one that is not run by Daiso’s Australian office. Not the best (value-wise) of those products, of course. Also, it seems that all the Kokuyo Campus notebooks have disappeared from Daiso stores; as have the Maruman notepads and notebooks, but I was very surprised to see some Maruman Croquis drawing pads.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

I received a 5 notebook pack of Field Notes’ collaboration with the USPS celebrating the Mighty Mississippi in the mail today. They have graph paper. They have a set with Pony Car stamps, and Mariachi stamps collaboration as well that are new. The Title IX was first. 

As a Missourian, the Mississippi is important in that it provides the eastern border of the state. Like some Missourians, I claim it is the Missouri River that goes south to New Orleans and the Gulf of Mexico. The author William Least Heat Moon claimed this in his book Blue Highways. 

@inkypete You deserve a pass this time. 😉

Posted Image

On 6/10/2022 at 4:28 PM, Misfit said:

I look forward to seeing, assuming you post them, your ink tests on the FAF paper.

Well, time and again the Exacompta FAF 70g/m² paper — even on the verso side, on which the sizing seems to make it a bit more “fountain pen friendly” than the recto side — has proven to yield broader and less crisp lines, compared with Rhodia DotPad 80g/m² paper, when the same pen-and-ink combinations are used on both. Here's yet another example:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/364201-what-pens-are-you-using-today-in-2022/?do=findComment&comment=4548338

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

40 minutes ago, A Smug Dill said:

Well, time and again the Exacompta FAF 70g/m² paper — even on the verso side, on which the sizing seems to make it a bit more “fountain pen friendly” than the recto side — has proven to yield broader and less crisp lines, compared with Rhodia DotPad 80g/m² paper, when the same pen-and-ink combinations are used on both. Here's yet another example:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/364201-what-pens-are-you-using-today-in-2022/?do=findComment&comment=4548338

Yay!  Somebody actually used verso and recto in a sentence about leaf of paper. 

Ta!

1 hour ago, A Smug Dill said:

Good comparison.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

22 hours ago, inkypete said:

Went to my closest Daiso on the weekend. They have done a relay of the store - I hate the new layout. Didn't buy any stationery - I feel like I let the FPN team down.

My last Daiso visit was the same.  You didn't let us down, Daiso did.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

9 minutes ago, Misfit said:

Has anyone tried Odyssey Notebooks?

Funny you should mention them, because I bought a few last month at the Triangle Pen Show. However, life has been quite busy with a new job and I haven't delved into my pen show purchases beyond swatching the inks I bought and using the TWSBI I'd bought with one of Kirk Speer's custom grinds. 

I'll say this about that grind: I don't care for nibs wider than F, because anything larger just feels and looks sloppy-mop to me .... but Kirk's 45° Reverse Architect grind has given me a taste of just how *nice* a medium+ nib can be.

I plan to test my custom grind TWSBI with one of the Odyssey notebooks I bought. I'm just not sure what to write in it ... well, other than the ink test page at the back. 

(Edited: correcting phone typos.)

I usually go the boring route, and write the name of the pen, color of it, nib size, and the ink I put in the pen. 

The Well Appointed Desk blog had a post about Odyssey Notebooks. 

Posted Image

I got a composition notebook in a grocery pickup order. I can’t resist space themes. 

How do you start a notebook?  
large.E31B9C40-934B-4CC3-A41D-95A3AC0BE3CE.jpeg.f6d5d45816de0ef5cf9a32b4fc52a7a9.jpegI’m thinking I might find a favorite quote, plus the two radio stations I like, and write those on the first page. 

Posted Image

1 hour ago, Misfit said:

How do you start a notebook?

With an (at the time, devoid of content) index page?

With a short note to state what that particular notebook is for?

With a page at the very back for testing how various inks (or pen-and-ink combinations) perform on that paper, so when it comes time for actual use, I don't end up with pages of unsightly feathering or bleed-through that makes me want to throw the notebook away and start over?

I start by writing my name and mobile phone on or in it.