I'm A Sad, Pathetic Stationery Junkie.

KreepyKen

10 hours ago, taimdala said:

I've recently started keeping a "Focus Log" as a response to my constant question: "Where did all my time go?"

I use the pocket sized Moleskine Cahier notebook. I know--the paper is ivory and I hate how it changes the color of my ink and it will feather if I use anything broader than a Platinum Preppy <02> or Procyon Fine, but it's actually working well for the purpose.

I've been holding off subscribing to Field Notes but I started my first log on 01 May. It's not even 15 May, I have 16 days left, and I'm past the middle point of the Cahier.

I don't think that a single notebook will last me a single month. Not when I find myself writing ideas in it and little sketches and weather stats in addition to such drivel as:

0923 - 0945: swap clean dishes in dishwasher for clean, feed birds, get coffee

0945: Laptop open

0945 - 1230: cull emails, send responses, fall into online news rabbitholes ...

And other such nonsense.

All written with my needle fine Preppy <02>  nib, reminding me anew just how fabulous this 7 dollar pen can be.

How about sizing up to a hobonichi or Kokuyo jibun techo (a6)? They already have the hourly layout. Since it's standardized it can help visualize the time spent. If you tire of tracking, you could move to prioritizing/planning chunks of time.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Misfit

• inkypete

• A Smug Dill

• AmandaW

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

16 hours ago, dragondazd said:

How about sizing up to a hobonichi or Kokuyo jibun techo (a6)? They already have the hourly layout. Since it's standardized it can help visualize the time spent. If you tire of tracking, you could move to prioritizing/planning chunks of time.

I have a Hibonichi A6, actually! Thank you for suggesting it. I love using it to test inks on.

Unfortunately, my focus log entries regularly fill 2 to 4 pages per day. A Hobonichi would offer me only 25% - 50% of the space I would need. 

Yes, I did say 2 to 4 pages per day. 

I am highly distracted and distractable, alas.

Edited by taimdala
Typo.

Are these long entries something like an attorney, accountant or other professional that bills hourly uses to track time? Any notebook that has the ability to add pages could use something like that, even if it had a "standard" layout, such as a Franklin 2 page per day, or other similar notebook.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

I placed an order for 2 notebooks made by a company called Denik. I’ll post a photo of them once they arrive. No idea if they are fountain pen friendly. At first I wasn’t sure World Market had both, so I visited the Denik website, and left my email for a possible discount. Back at World Market, I found the two I wanted.  

Meanwhile Denik sent a couple emails, one indicating you could respond with questions. So I did, asking if the notebooks were fountain pen friendly. I’m kind of looking forward to the answer. You never know if notebook makers are aware of fountain pen use. 

edit here:

I got a reply that quoted a review from The Pen Addict. Only the widest nib had some ghosting. I went to that site and read the review. The person replying said she used a fountain pen on her Deniks. They use a percentage to help to build schools. 

Edited by Misfit
Posted Image

So this came, and though I haven't used it yet, I like the feel of the paper.  I am wondering if the one by the same company with the Life L. paper title and the green cover feels different, or if the only difference is whether or not the paper is lined.  Thanks!  

I'm excited to use this - it feels much more suitable than some of the papers, like Clairefontaine, that I find too slick.

large.IMG_1571.JPG.e7922b1b772f418ce4dea12ea3e56f1a.JPG

Festina lente

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

I need to migrate my month in my bullet journal and only have a few pages left so decided to start a new one.  I went to the shelf and found I only had lined journals available, no dot journals.  Tore up my spare stationery box in the closet - more lined journals.  

I had been using Endless Recorder notebooks as I like the paper and they come pre-numbered, but I would have to wait about a week for one to arrive.  No local stores carry anything suitable.  I like Peter Pauper, too, but those would have taken until the 2nd to arrive.

I discovered the Amazon fairy could get some I had never heard of to me today.  Not knowing which I would prefer, I got three - well, technically, four, as one is a double-pack.  Thought I might return the ones I didn't like, but they'll get used eventually as long as I don't croak first, so I'm keeping them all. Some of them seem a bit too  large, but they all have nice thick paper.

large.IMG_1577.JPG.f623950f0002226e1a957ed53f04b481.JPG

Festina lente

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

On 5/29/2022 at 3:33 PM, essayfaire said:

So this came, and though I haven't used it yet, I like the feel of the paper.  I am wondering if the one by the same company with the Life L. paper title and the green cover feels different, or if the only difference is whether or not the paper is lined.  Thanks!  

I'm excited to use this - it feels much more suitable than some of the papers, like Clairefontaine, that I find too slick.

large.IMG_1571.JPG.e7922b1b772f418ce4dea12ea3e56f1a.JPG

I have this pad but with a red cover -- I am pretty sure the only difference is the lines/dots/etc., but that the paper is the same.

It's great paper.  Very unique.  Subtle texture and pretty decent shading/sheen.

Herbin Perle Noir 100ml.  Last week £11; this week £15.60.   30ml for £10.80.   All local.  So I ordered a 500ml bottle f0r £35 from Italy, including shipping.  What the heck. 

Should last at least a couple'a weeks. :wacko:

Keeping ahead of the 'flation.  Paper's next.

Add lightness and simplicate.

2 hours ago, Karmachanic said:

Herbin Perle Noir 100ml.  Last week £11; this week £15.60.   30ml for £10.80.   All local.  So I ordered a 500ml bottle f0r £35 from Italy, including shipping.  What the heck. 

Should last at least a couple'a weeks. :wacko:

Keeping ahead of the 'flation.  Paper's next.

Take pictures I'm motivated to find out how to use 500 mL of ink in a few weeks. 😁

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

12 minutes ago, amberleadavis said:

Take pictures I'm motivated to find out how to use 500 mL of ink in a few weeks. 😁

+1 😉

Co-founded the Netherlands Pen Club. DM me if you would like to know about our meetups and join our Discord!

Currently attempting to collect the history of Diplomat pens.

12 hours ago, amberleadavis said:

I'm motivated to find out how to use 500 mL of ink in a few weeks

BBBBBBBB Pelikan nib would be a big help.

5 hours ago, Karmachanic said:

BBBBBBBB Pelikan nib would be a big help.

Or taking up brush calligraphy as an alternative.

Large brushes of course.

“Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today, because if you do it today and like it, you can do again tomorrow!”

1 hour ago, Gloucesterman said:

Large brushes of course.

Absorbent paper would help as well.  Soak it up!

Perhaps watercolor with FP ink?

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

All these “rats and mice” products don't even amount to nearly all of what I bought in LCdC's recent (”La Couronne du Comte 2.0”) clearance sales, as it shed a large number of low-priced products and even entire brands from the shop's catalogue.

(The Aurora limited edition pen was not part of that sale.)

Now, that is some astoundingly neat and careful packing. In spite of all the heavy stuff inside that huge box, not a single thing was out of place on arrival. Full marks to the staff at La Couronne du Comte for that aspect of order fulfilment!

large.762446162_LCdCclearancesaleshaulpart1(exterior).jpg.c6439135da2623da7628c33c17d89143.jpg

large.976374118_LCdCclearancesaleshaulpart1(interior).jpg.007874d6b59bb4eedd8620f7b8984557.jpg

There are 2,890 sheets of Exacompta FAF desk pad 70g/m² dot grid paper in those two towers at the rear. I thought they were of the Rhodia brand, but never mind; it's still made by Clairefontaine in France. I guess I'll find out soon enough how they perform, compared with the Rhodia DotPad 80g/m² paper, which sadly changed some time round 2019-2020.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

@A Smug Dill I have a No. 3 Exacompta FAF pad, and really, really like it. I hope you enjoy yours as much. 

I considered getting the smaller version from LcDc, but could not spend the minimum for an order at the time. 

Posted Image

8 minutes ago, Misfit said:

@A Smug Dill I have a No. 3 Exacompta FAF pad, and really, really like it. I hope you enjoy yours as much.

Thanks! I certainly hope so too, haha, what with nearly 3,000 sheets of that paper, which I'm hoping would be a fit replacement for Rhodia DotPad as my ‘standard’ paper for ink reviews, nib testing, writing samples, etc.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

I have the blank, grid, and dot grid paper. The dotted paper seems heavier. The other two paper types have handled my beloved stub and italic nibs well, on both sides. The dotted does a great job. I write on it. I look forward to seeing, assuming you post them, your ink tests on the FAF paper. 

Posted Image