I'm A Sad, Pathetic Stationery Junkie.

KreepyKen

I meant to post this photo back when I bought the notebooks, but didn't get around to it. But today is photo uploading and posting, so here it is. The notebook with the leaves was one I wanted to go back and get another. But alas, it wasn't there when I got back to check the closeout on school supplies. Next time I'm in Walmart, I might check and see if said notebook is in stock at full price. The pattern was on more colors than black.

fpn_1541475408__kodak_november_2018_057.

Posted Image

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Misfit

• inkypete

• A Smug Dill

• AmandaW

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm just a recreational user and know i can stop any time. My real issue isnt my own weakness but rather the enablers around me...the people who know i enjoy notebooks and give me anything they happen to get at any meeting or conference. Piles of stuff i cant use and my wife is the worst offender. That doesn't count toward excess. ☺

You can never have a problem having too many notebooks (not that there is such a thing) but you take a risk having too few.

+1

If you haven't got enough to leave in your will, something is amiss. :D

Engineer :

Someone who does precision guesswork based on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge.

What if you don't leave a will at all?

No spare piece of paper on which to write one?

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

@bemon, 'snap' as in snapshot (photo), or as in it snapped under the weight of all the notebooks on the shelf?

I don't see any image/photo in your post.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

@bemon, 'snap' as in snapshot (photo), or as in it snapped under the weight of all the notebooks on the shelf?

I don't see any image/photo in your post.

As in I didn't realize the photo didn't post from my phone :)

post-130536-0-42384100-1541694450_thumb.jpg

Very nice! I like your tastes (and sadly I don't have your budget for leather goods).

Thanks! If it's available in leather, chances are I have it. Whatever "it" may be.

Wow... your shelves look better stocked than some of the stores in TO. Nice collection!

Thanks! If it's available in leather, chances are I have it. Whatever "it" may be.

A high end notebook store in the house. :thumbup: Any favorite brands?

Engineer :

Someone who does precision guesswork based on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge.

What if you don't leave a will at all?

It is personal and a possibility.

No spare piece of paper on which to write one?

That is just shocking stock management. :lol:

Engineer :

A high end notebook store in the house. :thumbup: Any favorite brands?

I've tried a few different brands (As you can see) but I always end up coming back to Leuchtturm notebooks. The medium hardcover size. I put them in a leather wrap from OneStar Leather, and that's my daily jotter for work and current favourite. I've been using it for two years now and it's housed the last 6-7 Leuchtturm books I've filled.

I've tried the Rhodia Web Notebook in an Edison leather wrap. The paper was nicer than Leuchtturm, but I missed the table of contents and page numbers which I use for referencing meeting notes.

I also tried Life, Moleskine and Manufactus and a few others I can't recall at the moment. Leuchtturm just seems to have the best combination of fountain friendly paper and features. Not the best paper, but more than acceptable.

Not pictured is a Bugatti leather wrap because it's too big for my shelf, and laptop bag. Plus I can't find a decent notebook for it. But I used it for years before I discovered fountain pens. It's got a nice full grain cow leather finish to it. Also not pictured is a Danier Leather portfolio that perfectly fits a flip notebook (Rhodia I think) and my iPad Mini which I used a fair amount for work a few years ago before the nature of my job changed and I started carrying a Laptop rather than my iPad.

So long story short, the medium hardcover L1917 notebook and the OneStar Leather cover. It wasn't cheap, but it's incredibly well made in both quality of leather as well as construction. I'm always happy to recommend them.

Edited to add that the 4 pen sleeve at the bottom of my shelf by Van der Spek Leather is another quality find. I keep my EDC pens in there. I've got a box full of leather pen pouches that I keep my collection in, and Van der Spek is one of the highest quality sleeves I've got.

Edited by bemon

@bemon

Fantastic. :thumbup:

I too use the L 1917, mine is the Hardcover Notebook Medium BiColore Anthracite-Light Blue. I make notes in it using 0.5mm 4B lead.

Occasionally, the Rhodia is put into service too.

Will get a nice cover on my travels next year.

Engineer :

@bemon

Fantastic. :thumbup:

I too use the L 1917, mine is the Hardcover Notebook Medium BiColore Anthracite-Light Blue. I make notes in it using 0.5mm 4B lead.

Occasionally, the Rhodia is put into service too.

Will get a nice cover on my travels next year.

Glad to meet another fan- I'd imagine the L1917 would work a better than the Rhodia Web with a pencil due to Rhodia's coating. Though I use lead so rarely that I could be way off base.

Glad to meet another fan- I'd imagine the L1917 would work a better than the Rhodia Web with a pencil due to Rhodia's coating. Though I use lead so rarely that I could be way off base.

Touche.

The 4B would glide on almost any paper. :D

You can also consider the Rhodiarama/Rhodiarama GoalBook instead of the Web.

Thinking about it, I shall probably get a cover with grey outside and blue inside.

Engineer :

So long story short, the medium hardcover L1917 notebook and the OneStar Leather cover. It wasn't cheap, but it's incredibly well made in both quality of leather as well as construction. I'm always happy to recommend them.

I only have one leather cover, for loosely A5-sized journals of various brands. OK, actually two, since I bought one for my fiancée and one for myself on the same Amazon order, without have seen or touched the product in person first. They're from Oberon Design in the US. They look lovely, but a bit too stiff for my tastes to the touch; international return postage costs from Australia are so high that it wouldn't be worth it for me to send them back for a refund.

Edited to add that the 4 pen sleeve at the bottom of my shelf by Van der Spek Leather is another quality find. I keep my EDC pens in there. I've got a box full of leather pen pouches that I keep my collection in, and Van der Spek is one of the highest quality sleeves I've got.

The DiLoro leather two-pen cases (again, bought on Amazon sight unseen) are astoundingly good; and the effective price of US$10 each I paid in the first lot of ten was a total steal! The black one wasn't in stock at the time, so I only got the brown and red ones in the first lot, but the product quality is so good, as soon as I saw the black one in stock on Amazon I ordered it at the full price.

For pen carry cases of higher capacity, the Visconti Dreamtouch ones are excellent. We have three (one with 12-pen capacity, two with 6-pen capacity) at home, and have been using them for years, and we absolutely love them.

The Sailor 5-pen leather carry case I just received seems very good quality on first impressions, and I got it for probably half the price at which it's currently listed on nibs.com.

The Sailor and Visconti pen cases are great but DiLoro price has now more than doubled. :(

Engineer :

... but DiLoro price has now more than doubled. :(

Has it? I just went and had a look on Amazon.com which I don't often do any more, since all Amazon's sites except amazon.com.au will no longer accept orders with Australian delivery addresses and it's still US$19.95, which was the list price for the DiLoro Nappa leather two-pen case both times I bought the product.

It's just that the first time around, they had a peculiar '10OR50OFF' promotion going on, in which if I recall correctly:

Total number of eligible units

from that product listing

Discount
Just oneNo discount
210% off the total price
315% off the total price
420% off the total price
525% off the total price
630% off the total price
735% off the total price
840% off the total price
945% off the total price
10 or more50% off the total price

so I just thought, what the hell, I'll buy ten. I actually paid US19.95 plus shipping for the black one later.

I also did the same for the DiLoro single-pen leather sleeve. Compared to the quality of the DiLoro two-pen case, it was junk, but then that's unfair of me; compared to other single pen cases below the price of US$10 each, it was acceptable.