Just Got An Montblanc Bohème Bleu

Driften

I just got a brand new Montblanc Bohème Bleu (M) in the mail yesterday. When I first opened the box I was shocked to see how small it was. It still looks small on my desk. It's strange when compared to my Franklin-Christoph 45 XLV it's really the same size. (see pictures) I have used the F-C many times as my goto pocket pen and I was getting the Bohème to serve that role. I normally pair up the pen with a Rhodia Dotpad #12 and its almost the same size and works great for cargo pockets. When the Bohème is posted its longer then my 146 unposted (I normally use the 146 unposted). So it really fits me fine. I can use the Bohème unposted but would normally not for this pen. I had filled a cartridge with MB UNICEF Blue, but the pen seems to be on the dry side with that ink. I loaded a cartridge with Kon-Peki and will see how that works out. The M nib is very smooth and nice to write with. Looks a little smaller compared to the 146 nib, but it's fine. The clip on the cap does not line up with the nib completely, its only a few degrees off and does not bother me, but would have expected more from a pen of this list price range. I am happy I did not pay list price on this pen, for the price I got it for I am happy with the pen. At least so far. I am liking how the nib extends and the cartridge hatch works. It would be nicer if it was easier to clean or could use a converter, but I knew that before buying it.

I was about to find some specs on the pen but not all of them so here are my measurements:

Section: 9.6mm-10.3mm

Body:13mm

Capped: 110mm

Body with nib: 110mm

Posted: 135mm

25gr inked

http://driften.dragonsightsoftware.com/images/MB-Boheme-1.png

http://driften.dragonsightsoftware.com/images/MB-Boheme-2.png

With a F-C 45XLV and MB 146.

http://driften.dragonsightsoftware.com/images/MB-Boheme-3.png

http://driften.dragonsightsoftware.com/images/MB-Boheme-4.png

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Driften

• meiers

• Erik Dalton

• penwash

Congratulations, and hope you enjoy using it. I really like the design of these pens, particularly the shape of the cap. Have you tried the Boheme Blue ink? A stunning match with that stone!

I chose my user name years ago - I have no links to BBS pens (other than owning one!)

~ Driften:

Thank you for sharing this good news with us.

The comparison photos are especially appreciated.

Seeing the pens with their caps and posted is interesting.

I like your amphibian penholder!

May your Bohème Bleu provide much writing pleasure.

Tom K.

The Boheme is a great cartridge fountain pen. I came very close to acquiring one several times. And medium nibs have their charm. May we see a writing sample please?

Driften wrote: The clip on the cap does not line up with the nib completely, it is only a few degrees off...

That issue can be easily addressed.

Edited by meiers

Congratulations, and hope you enjoy using it. I really like the design of these pens, particularly the shape of the cap. Have you tried the Boheme Blue ink? A stunning match with that stone!

No I have not seen any Boheme Blue ink around. I first tried it with Montblanc UNICEF Blue and it did not work as well as I hoped. I then filled an empty cartridge with Pilot Kon-Peki and its been much better. This nib seems to run a bit dry compared to my 146's.

My UNICEF issue could have been from not flushing the nib first, but then I flossed the nib and flushed it with converter and dipped then nib and it still was not the best experience. So the next morning I flushed and changed to Kon-Peki that I have used a lot. That works better with no skilling or stalling.

I found that the nicer standard converters don't fit the Boheme, I had to use a junk one without the metal at the tip to mate up. Then that one did not like working unless you could put pressure on the body of the converter while turning the knob. So not the best when the body of the converter did not extend above the pen when the nib is extended. I need to get a different converter or do buy some long cartridges to cut the end off to be an extender for the bulb syringe.

~ Driften:

Thank you for sharing this good news with us.

The comparison photos are especially appreciated.

Seeing the pens with their caps and posted is interesting.

I like your amphibian penholder!

May your Bohème Bleu provide much writing pleasure.

Tom K.

Thanks Tom, I am liking it and for pocket cary it will work good. I prefer writing with my 146 when at my desk. It is a fun pen...

Driften wrote: The clip on the cap does not line up with the nib completely, it is only a few degrees off...

That issue can be easily addressed.

Mine has the same "nut" around the post that Chrissy does on hers with the little dots, not the one like the earlier models that have more of a an area for a split screwdriver might fit into. Not sure how easy it would be to do... Mine is not as such a big deal position though so I can live with it, at least for now.

Montblanc has cleaning cartridges for this pen. Even though the cartridges are marketed as one time use only, the plastic is flexible enough to refill and continue cleaning the Boheme.

Selling part of my pen and ink collection: https://alwayssunnyalwaysreal.wordpress.com/for-sale/

Aurora Optima Mare | Diplomat Aero (SOLD) | Diplomat Excellence A Skyline (SOLD) | Faber-Castell E-Motion Pure Black (SOLD) | Franklin-Christoph Model 20 Translucent Bronze (SOLD) | Franklin-Christoph Pocket 66 Antique Glass (SOLD)

Graf von Faber-Castell Classic Grenadilla (SOLD) | Graf von Faber-Castell Tamitio Black/Rosé (SOLD) | Karas Kustoms Ink Red Aluminum (SOLD) | Lamy 2000 (SOLD) | Lamy AL-star CopperOrange | Lamy Scala Dark Violet | Lamy Scala Glacier | Montegrappa Fortuna Mosaico Marrakech (SOLD) | Omas Ogiva Alba Green

Parker IM Midnight Astral | Pelikan Classic M120 Iconic Blue | Pelikan Classic M200 Demonstrator | Pelikan Classic M200 Green-Marbled (SOLD) | Pelikan Classic M205 Blue-Marbled (SOLD) | Pelikan Souverän M400 Black-Green/Black-Red/Tortoiseshell-White (SOLD) | Pelikan Souverän M400 Tortsoiseshell-White | Pelikan Souverän M405 Black-Blue-Silver (SOLD) | Pelikan Souverän M600 Violet-White | Pelikan Souverän M605 Solid Dark Blue | Pelikan Souverän M805 Stresemann (SOLD) | Pelikan Souverän M1000 Black-Green (SOLD) | Pilot Falcon Black/Rhodium (SOLD)

Pilot Vanishing Point Blue Carbonesque (SOLD) | Platinum 3776 Century Nice Pur | Sailor 1911L Anchor Gray/Fresca Blue/Key Lime/Royal Tangerine/Stormy Sea (SOLD) | Sailor 1911S Color Blue (SOLD) | Sailor Professional Gear Slim Four Seasons Yukitsubaki Snow Camellia (SOLD) | TWSBI ECO Transparent Green | TWSBI ECO Transparent Yellow | TWSBI Diamond 580AL Blue/Lava Orange (SOLD) | TWSBI Vac 700 (SOLD) | Visconti Homo Sapiens Steel Age Midi (SOLD) | Visconti Van Gogh Sunflowers (SOLD) | Waterman Carène Ombres et Lumières | AND MORE!

The Boheme is a great cartridge fountain pen. I came very close to acquiring one several times. And medium nibs have their charm. May we see a writing sample please?

I measured the line with and it comes out at a 0.5mm where the M nib on my 146 was 0.6mm. So its a little finer but not down to the F size.

Here are two samples from synopsis notes from my next novel...

This one is using the Mb UNICEF Blue and as I go the ink is fading lighter and even more so on the back.

http://driften.dragonsightsoftware.com/images/MB-Boheme-WS1.png

This one has Kon-Peki and is doing just fine after several pages of writing. It's coming out a lighter shade then from the wetter 146M nib but I like this shade.

http://driften.dragonsightsoftware.com/images/MB-Boheme-WS2.png

Montblanc has cleaning cartridges for this pen. Even though the cartridges are marketed as one time use only, the plastic is flexible enough to refill and continue cleaning the Boheme.

It's my understanding the cleaning cartridges are no longer made.

Thank you for the writing sample. That is a very nice nib.

Medium nibs are seductive indeed.

Edited by meiers

Thank you for sharing your good news with us. I wish you many years of happy writing.

The size compuarisons and writing samples were really helpful.

Thank you for sharing your good news with us. I wish you many years of happy writing.

The size compuarisons and writing samples were really helpful.

Your welcome. I use a spreadsheet to compare pen specs and knowing the sizes would have been helpful. But that specs and balance points don't often tell a complete story. I love my 146 much better then the specs would suggest. If I only looked at specs a Sailor 1911 Large would be about the same, but the weight, balance, feel, construction puts a 146 in a different class of pens.

I still go back to the measurements to see how I might like a pen... when you don't have a local pen store you have to go by something...

Thank you for the writing sample. That is a very nice nib.

Medium nibs are seductive indeed.

I think I would have got a B or OB if I could have but when a pen is discounted and can buy at $375 new, a M is more then nice enough! I also happen to like the M in my 146. My second 146 is getting reground from a B to an OB Cursive Italic so I have that size covered.

Congrats on your new pen! I played with one for what seemed like hours at a MB boutique in Vegas earlier this year but just couldn't make the jump. Maybe if a lightly used one at the right price (like $375!!) came by...

I recently got one and I love it. It's a perfect pocket-size pen for carrying, but that retractable nib mechanism is amazing!

Here's a size comparison with another lovely pocket-sized pen:

23819934978_c5270e76df_c.jpg

- Will
Restored Pens and Sketches on Instagram @redeempens

Congrats on your new pen! I played with one for what seemed like hours at a MB boutique in Vegas earlier this year but just couldn't make the jump. Maybe if a lightly used one at the right price (like $375!!) came by...

It was a new for that price. The guy still has more in blue, black, and the gold model with the red stone.

It was a new for that price. The guy still has more in blue, black, and the gold model with the red stone.

Where did you find it at that price, if I may ask? I've been wanting one for a while...