Looking To Find A Blind Cap

sidthecat

Of course I blame the cat for making off with it, but it could be anywhere, so I need to find another. Its a BCHR ringtop, but an atypical one: a bit thicker than normal so the cap from the parts pens Ive acquired is too small. Parkers are not my area of expertise but I like this pen and Id like it to be complete and the cats arent talking.

Heres the difficulty: the pen is marked as follows:

Geo. S. Parker Lucky Curve Fountain Pen

Janesville, Wis. USA

Pat. # 1-9-94-6-2898

1-2-05-6-6-05-4-2-11

Does anyone know what this thing is? I wonder if its actually a Duofold labeled as the earlier pen.

I hope the wisdom of the crowd can give me a clue.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidthecat

• inkstainedruth

• FarmBoy

• Brian-McQueen

Of course I blame the cat for making off with it, but it could be anywhere, so I need to find another. Its a BCHR ringtop, but an atypical one: a bit thicker than normal so the cap from the parts pens Ive acquired is too small. Parkers are not my area of expertise but I like this pen and Id like it to be complete and the cats arent talking.

Heres the difficulty: the pen is marked as follows:

Geo. S. Parker Lucky Curve Fountain Pen

Janesville, Wis. USA

Pat. # 1-9-94-6-2898

1-2-05-6-6-05-4-2-11

Does anyone know what this thing is? I wonder if its actually a Duofold labeled as the earlier pen.

I hope the wisdom of the crowd can give me a clue.

Do you have pix? Because it does sound a lot like a pen I have which turned out to be a Duofold (although mine says "Pat. 4-25-11" but doesn't have the other numbers). It too was labeled as "Lucky Curve" but I couldn't find anything in the Lucky Curve article on parkercollector.com. So I posted a description of the pen (I hadn't bought it at that point, because I didn't know enough and was afraid the cap was a little, um, fragile looking) and got told it was a 1926 Duofold (and that because it ONLY said "Lucky Curve" on the imprint, that narrowed down the date). So check that site's article on Duofolds.

As for finding a replacement blind cap, I'm not sure who to contact for a pen that old.

I've been lucky -- our cats don't seem interested in playing with the pens or ink vials. Although we DO have a mouse in the kitchen we haven't been able to catch yet -- and it seems inordinately fond of chewing on the bar of hand soap next to the soap dish.... :huh: And apparently managed to trigger one of the traps without getting caught.... (I keep telling my husband that just putting the traps out isn't enough -- you also have to BAIT them.... :wallbash:)

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Mice aren't quite that dumb...you have to make it worth their while to walk into a trap.

Yeah, I kinda told my husband that. I think he's worried that if I bait the traps with peanut butter which is what someone told my mom years ago, it will attract bugs (we had a bad problem earlier in the year with ants, and I swear that if we don't get stuff out to compost quickly enough it actually generates fruit flies --not just attract them... :().

We tried to get one of the cats to investigate, but she wasn't having any part of it -- not after all the years we've spent trying to teach her to NOT jump on the counter :headsmack: (when we first got her, she even went after stuff on the stove...). Now, my OLD cat -- she was a mouser. When we brought home the rescue Maine Coon (abused former show cat) *her* reaction was to go out every night for a week, stay out ALL night, and leave a dead mouse on the front steps when she came back in -- with its head bitten off! :o Never was quite sure whether Obilot was trying to train the big stupid galumph we brought home on how to be a "proper" cat, because Byron really didn't understand social situations (he really was pretty dumb -- one of those cats that gets along in this world on good looks), or making a political statement: "How dare you bring that idiot home and make a fuss over him? I'm the REAL cat in this house -- even more that dippy sister you saddled me with! See what an effort I make on your behalf?"

Ironically, my mother used to do pharmaceutical research, so was used to dealing with lab mice. She didn't like them much (she preferred the lab rats) -- but she *collected* mice -- mostly ceramic ones (go figure).

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I have a sufficiency of cats and I haven't seen any rodents in some time. They're useless against flies, though. I've had flycatchers, but nobody in this lot is interested.

But I'm sure you're not interested in my cats: here's the pen in question, next to another Lucky Curve for purposes of comparison. It's the burly one with the chasing.

fpn_1508988970__lucky_curves.jpg

Not a Duofold

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

Not a Duofold but how to manage a blind cap for this lovely pen?

Have you tried a Duofold Junior blind cap on the pen? Or a NS Duofols blind cap?

Or have you thought of the possibility that there might be someone who could custom make the blind cap for you?

Edited by mitto

Khan M. Ilyas

Perhaps I can move the headboard and see if it's there. Who knows what was sitting around the factory when they were putting these things together?

I'm not convinced that it's not a Duofold, although it may be just a Lucky Curve (mine is a crossover model) or a Jack Knife or other pre-Duofold pen that used the Lucky Curve feed. Even though the clip is clearly wrong for both a Parker and a ringtop: I think that's what's throwing everyone off.

If you can wait that long, there's always the L.A. Pen Show in February. Richard Lott has more pen parts than you'd ever imagine. Good luck.

Edited by pen lady

Clip is added. What makes it a Duofold?

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

Its a Duofold if the stamp says it is, but in the case of this pen, it doesnt. Thats the annoying part. It seems that Parker built its ringtops with bits and bobs from other short pens.

Thats a very good tip about the LA Pen Show. I dont want to end up with a bunch of old pens that Im not going to use, and I confess Im not a huge fan of this brand.

Its a Duofold if the stamp says it is, but in the case of this pen, it doesnt. Thats the annoying part. It seems that Parker built its ringtops with bits and bobs from other short pens.

Thats a very good tip about the LA Pen Show. I dont want to end up with a bunch of old pens that Im not going to use, and I confess Im not a huge fan of this brand.

What I was told about my Lucky Curve is that it's only after 1926 that they start having the "Duofold" name as part of the imprint.

The clip is definitely an add-on. Somebody wanted to preserve all his (or her) options. I have an old prewar Reform that's even stranger: it has a ringtop AND an integral serpent clip. Nobody was going to lose that sucker.

Sid:

I got a recommendation from another FPN member to try Roger at custompenparts.co.uk to fabricate a replacement blind cap for a vintage Montblanc of mine. I located an original replacement, so I didn't try Roger, but I'm passing the info on.

With your pen in hand, or a set of very precise measurements, I think a number of bespoke pen makers could machine a replacement cap for you. Their willingness and pricing is another question of course.

I'd say it's a Jack Knife Safety 24 1/2 (where the 1/2 means it is chased). A blind cap that fits will potentially be marked 4, 4 1/2, 24, or 24 1/2. The correct blind cap would be one marked with either 4 1/2, or 24 1/2.

It doesn't appear to be big enough to be a 25 1/2, but I could be wrong.