Conklin Duragraph Screw In Nib Unit, Replacement Options?

rogerbikeswim

Conklin Duragraph Fountain Pen, Amber - 1.1 MM Steel Stub Nib

Hello, I recently purchased this pen recently for $32 on Amazon. I'd love to know what my options are for swapping between the screw-out nib units for this pen. I obviously know that I can get the Conklin replacements. I'm wondering if it uses a standard size that can be swapped out for those of different manufacturers.

I tried my Franklin Christoph nib - no joy there. It the FC unit just spun in place.

Also, I looked for this information before hitting you guys up. I'm also interested in how to find this out for myself next time. Where can I find what nib units are swappable.

Thanks.

post-139032-0-34193900-1508796762_thumb.png

post-139032-0-76528500-1508796779_thumb.png

post-139032-0-12304200-1508796793_thumb.png

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sansenri

• rogerbikeswim

• amberleadavis

• clonehappy

You can just pull the nibs out of the units and switch them. You don't need to keep them together as a unit for the pen to write, you're making this way, way too complicated on yourself.

Edited by jekostas

Nib units are not interchangeable because the collars differ. But your #6 nib is interchangeable with other #6s. I've got a #6 Fountain Pen Revolution Flex nib in my Conklin Duragraph right now. Another #6 FPR Flex nib is in my Jinhao x450. The Conklin nib that came with my Duragraph is in my Edison Collier. One of my Collier nibs is in my Nemosine Singularity. All the #6 nibs I own are interchangeable. You'll have to pull the nib and feed out of the collar to swap the nib out, but keep using the Conklin's feed and collar.

I love the smell of fountain pen ink in the morning.

And then someone yells "fruit basket upset" and you have to swap them all to different pens.

I have a similar assortment but I would have to go look at them to be able to tell you which nib is in which pen. I move them around until I find a combination that I really like.

To hold a pen is to be at war. - Voltaire

That's a pretty pen and you got a good deal on it. The cracked ice version was one of the first "expensive" pens I got--- little did I know what it would lead too!!

We Are Our Ancestors’ Wildest Dreams

OCArt - This is the most expensive pen I've purchased for myself. It's a beautiful pen. But it's got a major flaw, it's all goofy after being posted. All the weight is at the back of the pen. And I've got big ogre hands that need a big, heavy, posted pen!

I'm still loving it. And learning more about what I like for the next time I need something shiny.

Thanks.

Edited by RogerW

You can just pull the nibs out of the units and switch them. You don't need to keep them together as a unit for the pen to write, you're making this way, way too complicated on yourself.

Nib units are not interchangeable because the collars differ. But your #6 nib is interchangeable with other #6s. I've got a #6 Fountain Pen Revolution Flex nib in my Conklin Duragraph right now. Another #6 FPR Flex nib is in my Jinhao x450. The Conklin nib that came with my Duragraph is in my Edison Collier. One of my Collier nibs is in my Nemosine Singularity. All the #6 nibs I own are interchangeable. You'll have to pull the nib and feed out of the collar to swap the nib out, but keep using the Conklin's feed and collar.

And then someone yells "fruit basket upset" and you have to swap them all to different pens.

I have a similar assortment but I would have to go look at them to be able to tell you which nib is in which pen. I move them around until I find a combination that I really like.

It sounds like I was mistaken. I would have sworn I had read posts about being able to swap specific nib collar/units between a few brands. I've taken a liking to stub nibs, and they need a strong flow of ink. I assumed that using the feed that is sold with a stub nib would probably be wetter and a better fit for the replacement nib.

I have, however, swapped out many Jowo #6 nibs. I've used the Goulet nibs, Nimosine, and Franklin Christoph so far. Thanks.

• 4 weeks later...

I bought the same pen last month with the Stub nib. I found that nib not pleasurable so I had decided to change into a Jowo cursive italic nib and it works wonderfully.

The nib alone fits well with the Conklin feeder and it is friction- fit. Don't need a nib with a unite. All no 6 JOWO/KNOX/BOCK nibs will fit without any trouble.

Edited by Cjayant

• 2 years later...

My Conklin Duragraph has the same dryness / skipping. I cleaned the feed / nib and flossed the nib (tines seem very tight). I would like to replace the nib and the feed, but with something other than Conklin. Are there entire units that I can screw in to the Duragraph (like an Edison)?

i also have a duragraph i got for about $35 that came w a conklin 1.1 stub... it's fine and of course got me started down a stub rabbit hole... i use it for my shimmering inks... currently Kyanite du Nepal. not my best pen but it seems to perform fine

My Conklin Duragraph has the same dryness / skipping. I cleaned the feed / nib and flossed the nib (tines seem very tight). I would like to replace the nib and the feed, but with something other than Conklin. Are there entire units that I can screw in to the Duragraph (like an Edison)?

I don't know why you want to replace the whole unit, but the jinhao x450 feed fits the Conklin Duragraph (the nib doesn't however, or at least in my Conklin they all came loose), and the FPR flex nib (#6) or Noodler's also fit. But of course the plastic feeds can't keep up as well if you intend on flexing.

I axed my Conklin nib in favour of an Edison nib and feed. It needed a bit of shoe-horning, but it's far more reliable.

It sounds like I was mistaken. I would have sworn I had read posts about being able to swap specific nib collar/units between a few brands. I've taken a liking to stub nibs, and they need a strong flow of ink. I assumed that using the feed that is sold with a stub nib would probably be wetter and a better fit for the replacement nib.

I have, however, swapped out many Jowo #6 nibs. I've used the Goulet nibs, Nimosine, and Franklin Christoph so far. Thanks.

yes you can swap the nib collar units between some brands, but not Conklin.

The threading seems to be proprietary or at least so far no-one has found what collar fits (Jowo and Bock collars do not fit they have a different threading). Your best bet is pull out nib and feed from your Conklin, change nib but use the same original feed and put both back in. The nib must be a size 6.

As mentioned above, no. So far a collar with same threading has not been found.

Your best solution is described above, you need to pull out nib and feed (read or watch some videos on line on how to do it, it's not difficult at all) and swap it with some other size 6 nib you like.

I have a couple of the modern Conklin nibs (as shown in RogerW's photo) and they are bad, very soft, will bend away from the feed and cause all sorts of skipping trouble.

Ditch it... and get a spare Jowo or Bock to swap in (Edison nibs also ok, they are rebranded Jowos)

• 2 weeks later...

I have the same Amber Durograph. Even found a matching ballpoint for it. Have a couple others as well. The problem with Conklin Durograph is the nib is (bleep). It seems to write dry because the tines are good tight. Be careful trying to spread them, it is very easy to spring these nibs. The metal is not good. I changed all of mine out for Jowo nibs.

Ink flow through the feed is fine but can be adjusted by using a wetter or dry ink.

I have yet to find a screw in nib unit that is compatable with these. I read somewhere that Conklin is going to be putting Bock nibs in their pens.

Also if you get a pen with one of Conklin’s Flex nibs, the nib unit will not take a standard #6 nib. You have to buy a standard Conklin nib unit put it in your pen and add your choice of nib.

I’m probably going to misspell this, but you can get Conklin pens and nibs from. Speerbob. He’s a member here and sells on e’bay under that name. Very reasonable, Very Reliable.

• 8 months later...

I know this topic is a few years old, but I can add that a FC nib and feed will not friction fit in a Conklin Duragraph collar. They will go in and write but the FC nib will slide out at the first chance. I am just getting a Conklin replacement unit from Speerbob. Hopefully, they are Jowo these days.

• 1 year later...

Hope I am not doing something wrong by reviving this, but I'm having this exact issue with my brand new (literally arrived yesterday) Conklin Duragraphs Rainbow Medium and 1.1 stub in Abalone Nights. They were early birthday gifts too lol. I've tried 3 - 4 inks, all just won't flow hardly at all. I took the entire thing apart and did a thorough cleaning, but it either skips or writes dry as (bleep) or just stops flowing all together.  The review of the stub from 2015 says it's a wet flow which I was hoping for, but mine is just awful. 

I don't have time to do insane maintenance every day on both pens just to get them to write for 2 minutes with a 2 year old super active toddler, so I'm hoping I can return these for store credit to Goulet and just go with a different pen.  I loved these for the look, and the reviews weren't bad, but I dont want to mess with modifications that void warranty and all :-\ But it seems thats my only option other than new nibs, but I dont think it's the nib, it seems like the feed/converter just not flowing much or at all at times. I'm new to decent quality fountain pens (had cheapies in the past and the best one I have is a TWSBI 580 from years ago and it NEVER has issues but its a fine point and wanted a couple others on hand with different nibs) and my ideas on why these Conklins aren't flowing may not be right, but it really does seem like converter/feed issues.  I can force the ink each time and it'll write ok then just stop flowing *shrug*.  So I guess was just curious if yall had any ideas/suggestions? 

I believe current nibs are Jowo, I can confirm if you send a photo of the underside of the feed (Jowo feeds have a particular shape). Fast action to avoid tinkering, get another nib, or return the whole pen. Also in my experience if you want a pen that writes without needing to do insane maintenance every day the best strategy is move away from clones… and get a good pen! One good pen is better than 20 cheapy clones… unless you get very lucky or are ready to get your hands dirty.

2 hours ago, sansenri said:

One good pen is better than 20 cheapy clones… unless you get very lucky or are ready to get your hands dirty.

Do you have suggestions on a pen in this realm that is in the 150ish and under range?  That's the price limit I can go with if I can return these. They all have reviews that say "great pen writes wonderful" but isn't always the case for everyone heh, so was just curious if you have any recommendations on a pen that doesn't require a ton of maintenance but will write with all kinds of inks? Thank you for your reply btw. I'm still trying to learn which brands are worth going for and all, at least in my price range.

On 4/7/2022 at 9:32 AM, sansenri said:

I believe current nibs are Jowo, I can confirm if you send a photo of the underside of the feed (Jowo feeds have a particular shape). Fast action to avoid tinkering, get another nib, or return the whole pen. Also in my experience if you want a pen that writes without needing to do insane maintenance every day the best strategy is move away from clones… and get a good pen! One good pen is better than 20 cheapy clones… unless you get very lucky or are ready to get your hands dirty.

I just got a Conklin and yes the nibs are #6 JoWo but unfortunately the feed is just the cheapy plastic feed. And I believe that this is the actual problem. I also have a Monteverde with the same set up and same skipping problem. My question would be if the JoWo feed would fit in the housing? I would love to switch.