• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• crosshatch

• TSherbs

• k3eax

• jekostas

Yikes! the amount of ink that's on his hands is a real drawback for me, personally! :yikes:

<i>Many boys will bring you flowers. But someday you'll meet a boy who will learn your favourite flower, your favourite song, your favourite sweet. And even if he is too poor to give you any of them, it won't matter because he will have taken the time to know you as no one else does. Only that boy earns your heart-Leigh Bardugo

. Please assume no affiliation, as I'm just a pleased customer. IG: Lenses and pens_

So Brian Goulet says that Monteverde doesn't have a contract with Jinhao, but another company that just happens to have the exact same molds as those used to make the Jinhao 992. Not seeing much of a distinction, there.

In all honesty I'd probably prefer the Monza be made by Jinhao, I've had consistently good results with pens from that brand.

Well technically he could be correct. JInhao also had many of their pens OEM produced by others, considering the fact that the 992 pretty much take the Delike nib unit and the fact that it's almost identical to the Lorelei. it could be OEM designed and manufactured by a certain factory who do all the backend work; not an uncommon practice in industrial scale production and certainly not new to fountain pen industry. This does not take away the fact that the two are pretty much the same pen in general. Now I can understand his position regarding business, but he did in previous videos voice his distinction and decision not to trade the Jinhao 599. So its kind of self defeating for the company to turn around and trade something like the Monza, might be because the company do not deal with Sailor pens .. but .. well ..

Goulet once sold the Monteverde Limonada, which was a rebadged Jinhao 599 in brass.

http://blog.gouletpens.com/2015/09/monday-matchup-67-monteverde-limonada

Reviews and articles on Fountain Pen Network

CHINA, JAPAN, AND INDIA

Hua Hong Blue Belter | Penbbs 456 | Stationery | ASA Nauka in Dartmoor and Ebonite | ASA Azaadi | ASA Bheeshma | ASA Halwa | Ranga Model 8 and 8b | Ranga Emperor

ITALY AND THE UK

FILCAO Roxi | FILCAO Atlantica | Italix Churchman's Prescriptor

USA, INK, AND EXPERIMENTS

Bexley Prometheus | Route 54 Motor Oil | Black Swan in Icelandic Minty Bathwater | Robert Oster Aqua | Diamine Emerald Green | Mr. Pen Radiant Blue | Three Oysters Giwa | Flex Nib Modifications | Rollstoppers

Well technically he could be correct. JInhao also had many of their pens OEM produced by others, considering the fact that the 992 pretty much take the Delike nib unit and the fact that it's almost identical to the Lorelei. it could be OEM designed and manufactured by a certain factory who do all the backend work; not an uncommon practice in industrial scale production and certainly not new to fountain pen industry. This does not take away the fact that the two are pretty much the same pen in general. Now I can understand his position regarding business, but he did in previous videos voice his distinction and decision not to trade the Jinhao 599. So its kind of self defeating for the company to turn around and trade something like the Monza, might be because the company do not deal with Sailor pens .. but .. well ..

I'm not disagreeing with you or Brian. I'm asking what the practical difference would be.

It should also be noted that newer versions of the 992 now come with the transparent feed, so the differences at this point are down to the nib engraving and street price.

At 2:25 into the Youtube presentation Brain speaks about the Monza's failure as an eyedropper.

The Monza even cracks like a 992.

Looks like a 992

Smells like a 992

Cracks like a 992

.... :glare:

honestly, the look on Brian's face, and the tone of his voice, and the freebie bottle of ink all suggest to me that he knows that they got kinda screwed by Yafa on this one. He must have opened the box and said, "@^#%." And now he is just trying to dump what stock he can with the ink enticement. Now the pen is a cheap add-on to an ink purchase.

Quite a few dealers' web sites have on offering the Monza at prices of up to $20. One comes to believe that these dealers have a low view of the pen purchasing community's level of market awareness..Is this low view justified? Are there sufficient numbers of unaware purchasers to justify this re-branding of a sub-two dollar pen as a marketing ploy? Are we here on FPN a better informed minority whose purchasing avoidance is of little concern to those marketing the Monza?

honestly, the look on Brian's face, and the tone of his voice, and the freebie bottle of ink all suggest to me that he knows that they got kinda screwed by Yafa on this one. He must have opened the box and said, "@^#%." And now he is just trying to dump what stock he can with the ink enticement. Now the pen is a cheap add-on to an ink purchase.

IIRC, the free ink deal was in place before the Monza went on sale on their website and applies to all Monteverde pens.

Of course, maybe the issue is that he's unhappy with the general quality control of Monteverde pens and is trying to dump more than just the Monza inventory. But that's just speculation.

crosshatch wrote:

IIRC, the free ink deal was in place before the Monza went on sale on their website and applies to all Monteverde pens.

My response:

Crosshatch, Brian's Monza offering differs from that of his offerings for other Monteverde pens. The Monza is actually a give-away to promote the sale of ink while for the higher priced Monteverde's, the ink is a give-away to promote the sale of pens. In short, it seems to me that there is a recognition that the Monza is not widely marketable at $16 on its own..

Edited by k3eax

• 1 month later...

Crosshatch, Brian's Monza offering differs from that of his offerings for other Monteverde pens. The Monza is actually a give-away to promote the sale of ink while for the higher priced Monteverde's, the ink is a give-away to promote the sale of pens. In short, it seems to me that there is a recognition that the Monza is not widely marketable at $16 on its own..

I'm confused. The deal is that you get a free bottle of ink with any Monteverde pen. The Monza is a Monteverde pen. You can't add on a Monza with any ink. Like all the Monteverde pens, you buy the pen, and you can choose from a limited selection of Monteverde inks to get for free.

I'm confused. The deal is that you get a free bottle of ink with any Monteverde pen. The Monza is a Monteverde pen. You can't add on a Monza with any ink. Like all the Monteverde pens, you buy the pen, and you can choose from a limited selection of Monteverde inks to get for free.

I think the point was that many people actually value the ink more, so they see the savings the other way. It's a package deal, so one can view it whatever way one wants. The value is in the eyes of the beholder.

I think the point was that many people actually value the ink more, so they see the savings the other way. It's a package deal, so one can view it whatever way one wants. The value is in the eyes of the beholder.

Agreed, but that's the buyer's opinion and point of view (one with which I agree).

That doesn't mean it's good evidence that Brian thinks the Monzas are (bleep) pens. He's just treating the Monzas like any other Monteverde pen, and it's likely, since this is how things often go on the business end, that he has an arrangement with Monteverde for the giveaway, as Monteverde wants to promote their inks.

And you know what? Monteverde makes excellent inks. The way they refreshed the line is remarkable.

Reviews and articles on Fountain Pen Network

CHINA, JAPAN, AND INDIA

Hua Hong Blue Belter | Penbbs 456 | Stationery | ASA Nauka in Dartmoor and Ebonite | ASA Azaadi | ASA Bheeshma | ASA Halwa | Ranga Model 8 and 8b | Ranga Emperor

ITALY AND THE UK

FILCAO Roxi | FILCAO Atlantica | Italix Churchman's Prescriptor

USA, INK, AND EXPERIMENTS

Bexley Prometheus | Route 54 Motor Oil | Black Swan in Icelandic Minty Bathwater | Robert Oster Aqua | Diamine Emerald Green | Mr. Pen Radiant Blue | Three Oysters Giwa | Flex Nib Modifications | Rollstoppers

I've been impressed with their inks. Good lubrication that makes my pens glide nicely across the page. Some of the more saturated ones leave some awful crud on the nibs and feeds of my wetter writers, but it doesn't affect writing performance much. I just get annoyed at the wasted ink when I wipe the crud off the pen periodically.