Review Of Lamy Aion

RustyDarkMatter

Maybe you're right, I missed that page and got carried away with only the Aion's marketing material. Lamy has been doing this all along, it seems to have come strongly for the Aion due to the recent posts on facebook.

All this chat about Lamy's marketing and going over their website and facebook page has brought me dangerously close to getting a Lamy 2000, which I never thought I

The lamy 2000 is a solid pen and the makrolon has a great feel to it. Makes you wish there were more pens out with that material.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RustyDarkMatter

• s_t_e_v_e

• IndigoBOB

• AidenMark

The lamy 2000 is a solid pen and the makrolon has a great feel to it. Makes you wish there were more pens out with that material.

If I simply read the description of Makrolon on paper I would think, "No, that's not for me." But in the hand I like it a lot - it is for me. And I agree - I wish it was found in more pens, too. As far as the 2000 is concerned I think I'd prefer to have the grip section made of Makrolon too.

Right now I have a Lamy Persona in Makrolon in use. I really like its near weightlessness in hand.

If I simply read the description of Makrolon on paper I would think, "No, that's not for me." But in the hand I like it a lot - it is for me. And I agree - I wish it was found in more pens, too. As far as the 2000 is concerned I think I'd prefer to have the grip section made of Makrolon too.

Right now I have a Lamy Persona in Makrolon in use. I really like its near weightlessness in hand.

some of the Lamy Profils were made from the same material I believe.

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

I've held it once and found it pleasant. The way the cap clicks in place is quite satisfying. I stayed away from it only due to the small nib and the tapering steel section. I found it too clean of a design for me. I'll have to try one again to decide. I do like the features it offers.

I've held it once and found it pleasant. The way the cap clicks in place is quite satisfying. I stayed away from it only due to the small nib and the tapering steel section. I found it too clean of a design for me. I'll have to try one again to decide. I do like the features it offers.

The L2K is still one of my favorites, but the design was a little too clean for me, too. The convex shape had nothing around to act as a wedge, no flares, no shelfs, so it didn't agree with me at the time when I was shopping for long distance workhorse pen.

Hence my reservations about this one which shares the same clean design, but nonetheless does still make me curious.

I'm heading to a fountain pen shop to pick up a Lamy Safari, which practically holds itself in my hand, so I'll have to give the Aion a test feel.

Edited by IndigoBOB

Thank you for the review. I am surprised how people say how comfortable it is and how it doesn't slip. I do want to try it out in the future, but would like to hear more feedback.

Reminds me a little of the Faber-Castell loom, which I couldn't hold long without cramping. Does the section add that much grip?

I am hesitant about convex shaped sections. I liked the Lamy 2000, but the convex shape and lack of anything else made it less comfortable for me. The Loom was similar and that was a chore for extended writing sessions for me.

It is a curious looking pen and surprisingly lovely as it is minimalist in its design. I don't know the designer, but maybe he really liked fountain pens lol. The reviews so far seem to say he knew what he was doing.

Still ridiculous they don't even include a converter, though. That's my gripe.

I own a loom and the grip section of the Aion is thicker and slightly more comfortable. I usually get hand cramps when a grip is too thin and I need to put extra pressure just to hold it, which is the problem i have with the L2K. I don't have that problem with the LOOM because it is thick enough for me. The only complaint I have about the LOOM's grip section is that the ridges can make my middle finger feel raw during longer writing sessions.

In my video, I stated that I can use the grip even with greasy potato chip fingers, which is real. In practicality, I eat lunch at my desk and I will need to write randomly and with the Aion's grip section I still can maintain my grip regardless what was eating. The grip section is hard to explain, it is rough but not uncomfortable. perhaps the best way to describe it is like extremely fine sandpaper. I hope this helps.

I mean no disrespect to the very accomplished designer but I'd rather put my money on a pen made by a pen designer/artisan who actually knows the ins and outs of a pen and it's actual purpose than on a pen that has primarily been made to add to the portfolio of the designer and charge more money.

You're free to dislike the pen or Jasper Morrison's designs, but this criticism is nonsense.

Here is a list of Lamy's designers. Perhaps Gerd Muller shouldn't have designed the beloved 2000 because he came from Braun designing food processors? Perhaps Lamy shouldn't have got Mario Bellini to design the Imporium because of his architect background?

Looking at the list, how could you say that world-famous Jasper Morrison is unsuited to designing pens but other world-famous designers were suitable?

I own a loom and the grip section of the Aion is thicker and slightly more comfortable. I usually get hand cramps when a grip is too thin and I need to put extra pressure just to hold it, which is the problem i have with the L2K. I don't have that problem with the LOOM because it is thick enough for me. The only complaint I have about the LOOM's grip section is that the ridges can make my middle finger feel raw during longer writing sessions.

In my video, I stated that I can use the grip even with greasy potato chip fingers, which is real. In practicality, I eat lunch at my desk and I will need to write randomly and with the Aion's grip section I still can maintain my grip regardless what was eating. The grip section is hard to explain, it is rough but not uncomfortable. perhaps the best way to describe it is like extremely fine sandpaper. I hope this helps.

Thank you for the thoughtful response. I went to a pen shop, but they didn't have the Aion there yet. I was hoping to have some feedback, but unfortunately I do not.

I don't grip my pens tight at all. That's why I love the Lamy safari charcoal, which I basically let rest free-weighted in my hand with my fingers relaxed out.

I think the design looks great for how minimal it is. It does look kind of funny with how substantial looking the body is juxtaposed by a smaller sized nib, but hey, they're easily interchangeable.

I look forward to trying it out and seeing it in person.

• 3 months later...

I dont know you guys, but in mine Lamy Aion the cap is a little loose after the pen is capped.

Its only mine or that is common / know issue of the Lamy Aion?

Nice review! For a while I thought about buying a Lamy Aion, but went for the cp-1 instead. Cheaper, slimmer design and it also has the spring-loaded clip! (just like the Lamy 2000 and apparently now also this Aion).

Edited by RazorJack

I dont know you guys, but in mine Lamy Aion the cap is a little loose after the pen is capped.

Its only mine or that is common / know issue of the Lamy Aion?

Ive seen a couple of other folks complain about this problem. Youre not alone.

• 4 weeks later...

Helpful review, thanks for your time and efforts. I particularly enjoyed hearing how comfy the larger grip area is. Comfortable grip is essential to me and I will certainly check this pen out.

Very nice review, thanks. I am looking forward for comparative pics.

I've been using the pen for about ten days now, doing quite a lot of writing and tons of editing, and's clearly growing on me. The B nib is nice, bit it's the overall design that is very satisfactory. The pen suits my hand perfectly, it's long enough so I don't have to post, and the (non) section is a perfect feature (I love the 2K for this reason, and the Asa Nauka too).

What I do appreciate it's the price tag. For some reasons (well, no section, the idea of a simple tube of material...) the Aion reminds me of the Porsche Design P3135, too expensive for me, or of the Romillo Sil. So I am very happy with the Aion.

For some reason I do not miss a piston filling mecanism (using refilled cartridges) and the cap does not annoy me for now.

amonjak.com

post-21880-0-68964400-1403173058.jpg

free 70 pages graphic novel. Enjoy!

Ive seen a couple of other folks complain about this problem. Youre not alone.

Recently joined the Aion club, but my first one went back for replacement. The cap was so loose I could shake it off.

Either there were QC issues in the early caps or some factory rejects ... er hum ... re-entered the market.

Make sure test first or buy from an online store with good return policy

In my case, the retailer sent a replacement pen within 2 days and gave me 30 days to return the broken one. The cap on the replacement pen works perfectly.

Less is More - Ludwig Mies van der Rohe

Less is a Bore - Robert Venturi

Recently joined the Aion club, but my first one went back for replacement. The cap was so loose I could shake it off.

Either there were QC issues in the early caps or some factory rejects ... er hum ... re-entered the market.

Make sure test first or buy from an online store with good return policy

In my case, the retailer sent a replacement pen within 2 days and gave me 30 days to return the broken one. The cap on the replacement pen works perfectly.

Unfortunately that will not be possible in my case: Ive bought it in Canada in a brick&mortar store and I live in Brazil, so not practical returns in my case.

Unfortunately that will not be possible in my case: Ive bought it in Canada in a brick&mortar store and I live in Brazil, so not practical returns in my case.

Darn.

Might be worth writing to Lamy and ask if you can buy a new cap. It seems to be the cap that has the issue in some early models. The cap is not supposed to be loose or freely rotate at all.

You're free to dislike the pen or Jasper Morrison's designs, but this criticism is nonsense.

Here is a list of Lamy's designers. Perhaps Gerd Muller shouldn't have designed the beloved 2000 because he came from Braun designing food processors? Perhaps Lamy shouldn't have got Mario Bellini to design the Imporium because of his architect background?

Looking at the list, how could you say that world-famous Jasper Morrison is unsuited to designing pens but other world-famous designers were suitable?

Well, on one hand, the original poster could be right. If one plucked from the crowd a young designer, who exclusively used CAD tools and never touched a pen, then they might produce a very heavy pen, useful for signing flamboyant signatures under contracts but not suitable for extended writing (one or two Faber Castel pens make great emergency hammers or bludgeons in situations of violent conflict, but you wouldn't write a novel with one) or a pen with razor-sharp metal parts pen suitable for shaving pencils (get back in line Lamy Studio).

What I like about Morrison, is that, unlike some 'all about me' designers of the past 30 years, his approach is to involve himself in the entire creation of the object including the industrial processes that are involved. In his books, he rejects the idea of a designer of being a mere provider of form but someone who should also understand the parameters that, say injection moulding, place around the design.

So, in the case of JM, I agree with @milkb0at too.

I'm still getting used to this pen, and I wouldn't rush to judgement yet, but the balance of the pen alone shows me it is designed by someone who understands how to use one.

• 4 years later...

An excellent and thoughtful review. Thank you.

Reading this gives me to think that the Lame Studio is a better option. It has non of the disadvantages of this pen and many of the advantages. Such as a pop off cap and a shape which allows the choice to grip the pen at the width that is most comfortable.

Some folk complain that the chrome section is slippy. I have never found that.

My main moan about Lame is their robot made nibs which are merely batch tested for quality control. The range of nib widths for each size as rather wide. So I have medium nibs which are almost broad and medium nibs which are towards fine. Additionally some arrive nicely tuned, but mostly they need a polish with 0.5 micron fiche to get as good writing experience. When tuned I find they are exceptional writers. 

No one talked me out of buying one, so I got a second-hand red Aion, and I'm glad I did.  Cap posts fine.  M nib writes as it should.  

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.