There Is So Many Video And Guide To Teach People How To Be A Lefty But

calvin_0

I'm a lefty currently trying to learn how to write with my right hand because my japanese teacher said it'll make writing the japanese character easier as all the stroke is design to be write with a right hand... and it seems like thats how english and fountain pen is design as well..

And so I try google on how to do that.. but all I find is just video and guide to teach people how to write with their left hand..

Why there is so many video and guide to teach people how to be a lefties but no video or guide to teach people how to be righty?

Why people want to be lefty? beside boxing, there is no advantages what so ever...

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• calvin_0

• sidthecat

• pajaro

• mitto

Top Posters In This Topic

Because lefties find it difficult to write with pens that are, most of the time, designed to be used by right handers and not the other way round.

:)

However, reading this might be helpful.

https://m.wikihow.com/Write-With-Your-Opposite-Hand

But forcing yourself to change hand may have bad effect on your brain. Please read this also:

http://www.anythinglefthanded.co.uk/being-lh/children/changing-left-to-right.html

Edited by mitto

Khan M. Ilyas

Because lefties find it difficult to write with pens that are, most of the time, designed to be used by right handers and not the other way round.

:)

However, reading this might be helpful.

https://m.wikihow.com/Write-With-Your-Opposite-Hand

But forcing yourself to change hand may have bad effect on your brain. Please read this also:

http://www.anythinglefthanded.co.uk/being-lh/children/changing-left-to-right.html

so because being lefty is hard so people wants to be lefty? that dont make sense...

anyway, i'm not worry about my brain function, if there is any side effect, i should have seen it by now since i been training my hand for 2 weeks now... i wonder when will it stop feeling weird when holding a pen with my right hand..

plus it's not like i dont use my right hand, i type with both hands and when needed to be, i can type with my just right hand.. so i dont see how learning to write with my right hand would produce any side effect...

Edited by calvin_0

In earlier decades, left-handed children would be forced to write with their other hand, and it messed them up. It affected eye-hand coordination, language and movement.

A superstitious artifact that Im lucky to have avoided.

That said, youll discover, if youre serious about it, that youll be able to pull letterforms instead of pushing them.

Or you could simply do the Da Vinci thing and write backwards. I dont do that, but I make certain letterforms in reverse, a thing I must have started doing in childhood. That might weird out your calligraphy teacher but it will make your scrolls interesting.

Edited by sidthecat

Teachers tried to make me write right handed, but they gave up. If it's easier for you to write Japanese characters, and if this is what you want to do, then I wish you success.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

so because being lefty is hard so people wants to be lefty? that dont make sense...

More like most handwriting training assumes right-handed users, leaving lefties out in the dark, gnashing their teeth. Thingie.

I'm a lefty underwriter, and don't find any problems with using fountain pens. My father apparently was left-handed, and forced to switch hands when he started school in the 1930s; he made sure that my first elementary school teacher backed off from the first. It's worked well for me, anyway.

I am a lefty and an overwriter..i think. I am not sure what left handed underwriting looks like. I know that my FP nib is used at a different angle than if it used right handed. I believe the nib wears down faster for left handed writers.

Trying to learn to write with the oposite hand would be mentally troubling to me.

Well, I am Asian, and I must say your teacher might be ; shall I say : somewhat prejudiced. All the East Asian language text are initially formed to be written by brush ( OK I can exclude the very early Chinese before brush were even created ) and while it might be oriented towards writing by someone using right hand as their primary hand, lefties is no issue with that. In fact I know of a calligrapher who's a leftie and he had no issue writing Japansese and Chinese either whether its with a brush or a ballpoint. And I have Japanese friends who are lefttie and I do not recall them needing to write with their right hand either.

A pointed brush should handle the same whatever hand you use, but Chinese calligraphy forms marks in a particular order to form a character.

I wonder if this teacher may have an insistence on exact imitation.

Well, as a lefty, I need to add...if the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body (it does), then only lefties are in their right mind. :yikes:

Well, I am Asian, and I must say your teacher might be ; shall I say : somewhat prejudiced. All the East Asian language text are initially formed to be written by brush ( OK I can exclude the very early Chinese before brush were even created ) and while it might be oriented towards writing by someone using right hand as their primary hand, lefties is no issue with that. In fact I know of a calligrapher who's a leftie and he had no issue writing Japansese and Chinese either whether its with a brush or a ballpoint. And I have Japanese friends who are lefttie and I do not recall them needing to write with their right hand either.

well, he might be... but he also a lefty... except when come to writing.. so I dont know.. I would like to think that maybe he know what he is talking about since he is a teacher for 30+ years..

to make thing cleared, he never insisted that I switch hands, he just suggest that I switch hand.. I decide to switch on my own, because I thinking about switching hands for a while now... Also I'm picking up actual cursive soon..

I am a lefty and an overwriter..i think. I am not sure what left handed underwriting looks like. I know that my FP nib is used at a different angle than if it used right handed. I believe the nib wears down faster for left handed writers.

Trying to learn to write with the oposite hand would be mentally troubling to me.

well I'm kinda an overwriter as well... but for some reason, it doesnt took much for me to start writing with my right hand... it just feel odd.. I'm guessing this is because I play video game alot, so my hand-eye coordination for both hand is already pretty good..

Teachers tried to make me write right handed, but they gave up. If it's easier for you to write Japanese characters, and if this is what you want to do, then I wish you success.

Mine, too. Teachers, that is. I don't know why they gave up, since clearly my left-handed existence was an affront to their very existence.

Southpaw overwriter here, but even though I can somewhat write (and play badminton!) righthanded, there are times when I wish I could write easily and fluently with my 'other' hand.

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

There is nothing bad with using you left hand to write, all the videos showing you how to do so, are evidence of this. A counter narrative if you will to the many decade attempt by handwriting teachers who couldn't accept that simply because left handlers only make up 10% of the population they must be abnormal. Being left handed is different, not lesser than being right handed, embrace it, because you will be able to become just as good at writing Japanese characters!

FP Ink Orphanage-Is an ink not working with your pens, not the color you're looking for, is never to see the light of day again?!! If this is you, and the ink is in fine condition otherwise, don't dump it down the sink, or throw it into the trash, send it to me (payment can be negotiated), and I will provide it a nice safe home with love, and a decent meal of paper! Please PM me!<span style='color: #000080'>For Sale:</span> TBA