Nanowrimo 2017 - Support Group

sandy101

I find myself gearing up to particiapte in NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month) in November 2017.

I'm currently reading No Plot? No Problem and considering logistics.

Considering the aim is to produce a 1st draft, I'm considering doing this longhand - probably in pencil and maybe FP. The second draft can be done on a PC

Anyone else thinking of participating, or have any thoughts or recommendations?

We could use this thread as a support group - or to brag.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sandy101

• displacermoose

• sharonspens

• colrehogan

I don't recall seeing this in the past, but earlier this week I saw an email for a support group being offered by my university. I am sure it is from someone in English, but the call for members was sent university wide.

Sharon in Indiana (Ball State)

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." Earnest Hemingway

I'm participating, but in a less intense way. I've been working on a novel off and on (mostly off) for about three years. It's a de-stressor and something to help me keep my sanity. My goal isn't necessarily to finish it (that would add pressure that I don't want), but just to write on it some every day for the month. I should be able to make some significant progress, and hopefully the concerted effort will help me get into a habit that will be sustainable long term.

For tools, I use Apica CD Premium notebooks (A5) and my fountain pens. I write with the same pen/ink for the whole day and then switch to something different the next so I can see how much progress I'm making. Today was my Pilot Custom 823 with tsuki-yo. Only three pages, but between Halloween, medical problems for one child, a birthday for another, and a full-time job I'll take whatever I can get.

Yet another Sarah.

I'm participating, but am using a 1901 Smith Premier No. 4 typewriter with no shift keys, no tab keys, and has a double keyboard. And it is a blind typer, which means that you can't see what you are typing until you lift the platen. I am continuing to work on what I started last year.

Smith Premier No. 4

I've considered trying NaNoWriMo this year. But I don't know whether I will be able to make up the schedule for how many pages per day I'd have to average with the amount of traveling I have to do (and that may be compounded even more -- I talked to my husband around 7:30 this evening and he got some sort of cryptic phone call that his mother might have a pulmonary embolism -- but she wasn't admitted to the hospital, so we're not sure what's going on... :unsure:).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

That's why I'm doing my modification. There is no way in heck I could meet the standard goal, and if I tried it would be a source of Yet More Stress. I've been saying I would do it for years, so I decided I've had enough of all or nothing and came up with something I can manage that is still in the spirit of the event.

Now if I can just get the toddler to sleep I can see how much I can crank out before I pass out.

Today's pen and ink: Franklin-Christoph Intrinsic sporting a narrow stub with J. Herbin Lie de Thé.

Yet another Sarah.

10,000 words done with a variety of fountain pens, with a variety of inks. I'm using the new Paperblanks Flexibooks - the ultra came with 240 pages and a soft, rather than a hard cover. The paper is fountain pen friendly and slighty water resistant. I dripped a little water on a page, some words ran, but the water did not soak through and wreck the other side. I'm averaging 200 words a page and just hit page 50.

Pens used so far - MB William Shakespeare, Parker 45, Italics Parson's Essential and Captain's Commission, Caran D'ache Madison, Platinum #3776, Faber Castell Loom and Visconti Rembrant.

Grab pen - write with it till time, or ink runs out and then grab next pen. Start new session with different ink to last. This is the total opposite to the one pen experiment - and at the end of the month I'll see if I've gravitated towards certain models.

As for the novel itself - its linear, and poorly written - but a shape is starting to emerge. I think the redraft will start with a list of essential scenes and build form there. I can't help thinking that I'm making very big mistakes with my approach, but that's the process.