Any Pen Lovers In Oxford, Uk?

7is

Hello! It's just a thought but maybe there is someone living in Oxford or its proximity who would fancy meeting up, and sharing thoughts, experience and finds over a cup of tea or coffee?

--karl

Edited by 7is

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Filadams

• Toolattack

• 7is

• eckiethump

How easy/hard is it for you to get to Fleet, Hampshire? We have a meet up there on the 3rd Saturday of most months which is organised through Facebook.

Thank you dapprman! It's tempting and not too far away after all. I may pop in at some point. Thanks again!

I imagine there are at least 12 fountain pen users in Oxford. Scout out an amenable venue/coffee shop. Pick a date/time. Print up some A5 notices and stick'em on notice boards around town. Go to the venue. Put a nice white A4 pad on the table with a couple of pens and an ink bottle. See who shows up.

Next thing you know - Oxford Pen Club. Could happen. :)

Add lightness and simplicate.

• 2 years later...

A few years later... I'm in Abingdon, enjoy using fountain pens and have a few cheaper pens. Would be up for a meetup in Oxford sometime.

• 1 month later...

Hi there, new user on the board but long time lurker. I'm based in Oxfordshire and would be great to have a coffee and talk pens because Lord knows noone else wants to talk to me about them haha. I have a small collection, a few fountain pens, technical pens from my drafting days and mechanical pencils because they are all tools at the end of the day! 

• 9 months later...

Awesome. I'll DM you about meeting up sometime. Ata and I met up a while back which was great fun. We will try and meetup again sometime. We've also both joined the Fountain Pen UK Facebook page which is very active and social, so would recommend checking that out.

There is a very good pen shop in Oxford, Pens Plus, the staff are very helpful as is Paul the owner. It was, I believe the former Reg Philips pens shop. They attend a few of the UK pen shops as well.

Eric

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge (Charles Darwin)

http://www.wesonline.org.uk/

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/30/2022 at 10:02 AM, eckiethump said:

There is a very good pen shop in Oxford, Pens Plus, the staff are very helpful as is Paul the owner. It was, I believe the former Reg Philips pens shop. They attend a few of the UK pen shops as well.

Eric

Yes indeed. We visited last time we met up and spent a good amount of time in their. One of their members of staff was very friendly and was very much a fellow enthusiast. We were passing pens back and forth with her to try them out. They have a tester set of Montblanc 146 pens which was great fun.

On 11/7/2022 at 9:00 PM, Filadams said:

They have a tester set of Montblanc 146 pens which was great fun.

I have one of these for sale, for anybody interested 🙂

The staff I have met at shows are "pen people", as is Paul the owner. Unlike The Pen Shop, whose staff in my experience were only interested in selling modern pens, none whatsoever in vintage pen.

Eric

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge (Charles Darwin)

http://www.wesonline.org.uk/

• 3 months later...

Paul is a very nice guy and always tries to help customers. As well as new stock, Pens Plus sells a few ‘preloved’ (not necessarily vintage) pens at competitive prices. I would recommend that anyone wanting to start a pen club in Oxford speak to Paul, as he will know some other local collectors/enthusiasts and may have some useful ideas to help it become a success.

On 3/6/2023 at 10:42 PM, Filadams said:

Great idea. I'll go in for a chat next time I'm in Oxford.

Hope you get something going

• 4 weeks later...

Last minute unofficial Oxford Pen Meet on Saturday 15th at 11am at the Old Fire Station in the centre of Oxford.

All welcome to join, just send me a message so I can make sure we have enough space. We'll try to organise one more in advance sometime soonish.

• 2 weeks later...