I Hate Dot Grid Ruling!

Conan the Grammarian

If you prefer insane, go to Incompetech and print this --

http://incompetech.com/graphpaper/polar/thumbnail.gif

Or get one of those crazy notebooks (I forget who makes them, or where I've seen them) where the lines on the page are curved or slants up or down the page...

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bookman

• Diderot

• Astronymus

• PaganArcher

Or get one of those crazy notebooks (I forget who makes them, or where I've seen them) where the lines on the page are curved or slants up or down the page...

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

I saw those at the Miami Pen show a few years back. Sorry I didn't grab some then...no idea who made them, though.

• 11 months later...

I don't like being wrong, either ! I will offer penance by writing with a (gasp!) ballpoint pen for an hour. If my wife reads this, I'll never hear the end of it. Please don't tell on me.

I like college ruled, but I skip every other line. I also tried an unlined book and found my lines were straight, too.

Is it fair for an intelligent and family oriented mammal to be separated from his/her family and spend his/her life starved in a concrete jail?

The dot ruled notebooks are preferred for Bullet Journals. You can check out what's happening with them over at Reddit - r/bulletjournal

Mike

Dotted lines are okay but dot grid is too much.

Huh? Howzat work after the first line?

Add lightness and simplicate.

Presumably dot grid ordinarily assumes equal spacing on the X and Y axes, where dotted lines would have a much smaller X spacing.

X

Thanks for the links, Astron!

You are welcome. I thought by myself I shouldn't be the only one benefiting from these findings. Especialy the ones with the option to create your own custom pattern. Especialy if someone doesn't have a software like Illustrator or the neccessary skills at hand.

I hate dot grid paper too.

I prefer blank paper where I'm not bound by anything and I can let my creativity flow!

The dot ruled notebooks are preferred for Bullet Journals. You can check out what's happening with them over at Reddit - r/bulletjournal

Mike

Yeah, was intrigued by the idea of dot grid notebooks before, and bought my first one for a bullet journal this year. Works fine 'n' dandy.

My burble journal, though, is lined. Just seemed easier for longer-form writing. (And wider nibs)

31182132197_f921f7062d.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I used a dot-lined notebook for the first time last week at a conference I attended. I have to admit, I found it easy to use and liked the result. It allowed me to create outlines that were properly aligned on the vertical axis.

Mike

My choices are as follows:

1) Square grid (like Midori MD notebook has)

2) Dot grid

I hate lines (Ruled).

Whilst I love you a blank page looks, Unfortunately I am unable to write on white paper... I need reference lines :(

Javier

I hate dot grid too and I've noticed too how proper grid paper is being replaced by it which is really horrible. Hopefully Rhodia will keep making grid ruled paper!

Got a Rhodia and disliked it at first. I'd ever used dots before discovering fountain pens, it was always mechanical pencils and college rule. Later I came back to it and began to love how clean yet free it feels though I still like my lines. Oh well.

<b>Inked up:</b> Ranga 3C, Lamy 2000, Pilot Custom 74, Pelikan m205 , Platinum Preppy, Pilot Decimo<br><b>Inks currently using:</b> Troublemaker Blue Guitar, Nemosine Alpha Centauri, Noodler’s Navy, Aircorps blue black<br> Signature ink and pen: Noodler’s Navy + Lamy 2000

• 2 weeks later...

There are other people who hate dot grids!!!!! O_O

Writing on dot grid paper feels like hopping from stepping stone to stepping stone over a river, rather than walking across a smooth wooden bridge. Unfortunately, just about every other notebook out there offers only a choice of ruled, blank and dot grids without the option of square grid.... blargh.

[i'm ridiculously picky about my paper ruling. I'm relatively new to anything that isn't "regular rule" paper, but even before I discovered square grids, shopping for diaries and notebooks was always a pain because I couldn't stand any ruling wider than 5mm (and even then, only barely; my writing is the size of ant-tracks, and looks like formicids swimming in a white ocean on wide-rule paper). Now that I've discovered *light grey* 4mm square grid notebooks, I never want to use anything else again - and Force help me if they stop making them.]

• 1 year later...

I have tried and tried and I just can't seem to write straight on dot grid paper. Any hints as to how to train yourself to it? I always loved graph paper notebooks and lined paper notebooks. I see some advantages to the dot grid, but I would like to know more about why it is so popular now. I am sorry if this has been answered here and I did not see it. I am new to the Fountain Pen Network and do not know all the rules yet. thanks,..