I Hate Dot Grid Ruling!

Conan the Grammarian

Is there a link on the web for printing out lined sheets to be used "under" a plain sheet - I believe it's referred to as a guide sheet?

Would you, or some other kind soul put it up?

Thanks.

I'm remaking my own guide sheets in Photoshop. One will have 9mm spacing and the other will have 7mm. The double-margin guide lines will be both left and right, one at 2cm and the other at 3. I will post them today on an external link at full resolution and you can download them and see if they work for you. The ones I have now have 10mm and 8mm spacing and the margin guides are .75 and 1.25 inches. Maybe I'll post those as well.

I love the smell of fountain pen ink in the morning.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bookman

• Diderot

• Astronymus

• PaganArcher

I'm remaking my own guide sheets in Photoshop. One will have 9mm spacing and the other will have 7mm. The double-margin guide lines will be both left and right, one at 2cm and the other at 3. I will post them today on an external link at full resolution and you can download them and see if they work for you. The ones I have now have 10mm and 8mm spacing and the margin guides are .75 and 1.25 inches. Maybe I'll post those as well.

Thank you for the links, I shall have a look.

Thank you for your efforts; I really do appreciate it.

Here is the link to my new guidelines for 9mm spacing. This is the link to the 7mm guidelines. The right and left margins are at 2cm and 3cm. The lines are roughly 1mm wide, and the spacing is measured from the top of one line to the top of the next. Margins are similarly measured, starting from the edge of the page. I print the sheet with the "Photo Printing"/"Borderless Printing" settings. Be advised, the millimeter measurements are based on these settings.

Edited by Bookman

Really, i can't stand it. The dots don't form a nice line on which to write. They're hard to see when writing; when drawing, they're okay.

And the worst part is that most manufacturers are opting for dot grid instead of regular grid. Please stop doing that. I like regular grid paper for note-taking and even journaling. I can write on it, draw on it, and doodle when bored. I like using the grids to mark indents for note-taking, for organizing notes under headers and main subjects. Lined paper doesn't give you indent markers for subordinate notes.

I may be a minority of one here, but it had to be said. I hate dot grid.

I don't like it either.

And I don't like people who do like it.

Here is the link to my new guidelines for 9mm spacing. This is the link to the 7mm guidelines. The right and left margins are at 2cm and 3cm. The lines are roughly 1mm wide, and the spacing is measured from the top of one line to the top of the next. Margins are similarly measured, starting from the edge of the page. I print the sheet with the "Photo Printing"/"Borderless Printing" settings. Be advised, the millimeter measurements are based on these settings.

Thanks for going to all the trouble, but when I click on either link, the message I get is "Error 404, the requested URL not found on this server.

I feel rather guilty for putting you to all this trouble.

Thanks for going to all the trouble, but when I click on either link, the message I get is "Error 404, the requested URL not found on this server.

I feel rather guilty for putting you to all this trouble.

Not to worry. These were on my list of templates to replace, especially the wide rule guidelines. The previous was too wide. Meanwhile, I'll try to find out what's wrong with the links.

Edit: I've moved the images to a different site and changed the links in my earlier post accordingly. For ease of reference, here they are again: 9mm spacing guidelines and 7mm spacing guidelines. I would appreciate your trying them again

Edited by Bookman

Not to worry. These were on my list of templates to replace, especially the wide rule guidelines. The previous was too wide. Meanwhile, I'll try to find out what's wrong with the links.

Edit: I've moved the images to a different site and changed the links in my earlier post accordingly. For ease of reference, here they are again: 9mm spacing guidelines and 7mm spacing guidelines. I would appreciate your trying them again

Perfect.

They're working now.

Many thanks, I do appreciate your efforts.

Perfect.

They're working now.

Many thanks, I do appreciate your efforts.

Thanks for verifying the links.

Well, as a scientist I appreciate dot grids a lot. I like it also because I get the same guidance that I would get from graph paper, only with less lines.

I prefer dot grid over traditional graph paper which I have never particularly liked. But I prefer narrow ruled line paper the most, and unlined paper the least for actually writing. I put up with unlined sheets of Tomoe River paper, though I do use their lined guide under the paper as I write.

My experiences with dot grid paper has been with a few small Koyuko notebooks, and on HP 32b premium choice laserjet paper with a template that has 6mm dot spacing. The dots are a light gray and are as effective at keeping a straight line as my lined paper is, so am not having any actual issue with the ruling. The HP paper on the other hand, appears to not be very absorbent, creating a finer line and far less smoother experience than I generally enjoy, making my smoothest nibs unusually toothy.

Edited by JakobS

FP Ink Orphanage-Is an ink not working with your pens, not the color you're looking for, is never to see the light of day again?!! If this is you, and the ink is in fine condition otherwise, don't dump it down the sink, or throw it into the trash, send it to me (payment can be negotiated), and I will provide it a nice safe home with love, and a decent meal of paper! Please PM me!<span style='color: #000080'>For Sale:</span> TBA

I take lined paper because looseleaf after lined paper is the cheapest during back to school sales.

Edited by bluebellrose

• 2 months later...

Really, i can't stand it. The dots don't form a nice line on which to write. They're hard to see when writing; when drawing, they're okay.

And the worst part is that most manufacturers are opting for dot grid instead of regular grid. Please stop doing that. I like regular grid paper for note-taking and even journaling. I can write on it, draw on it, and doodle when bored. I like using the grids to mark indents for note-taking, for organizing notes under headers and main subjects. Lined paper doesn't give you indent markers for subordinate notes.

I may be a minority of one here, but it had to be said. I hate dot grid.

I agree. I love my Rhodia Grid pads. I picked up a Web Notebook...I was disappointed that the grid wasn't available but tried the dot and honestly...it's not easy.

Maybe by the time I finish this journal I'll get the hang of the dots. Otherwise I'm switching to something else.

Edited by KellyMcJ

I wouldn’t mind it if it were 7mm. I like writing large, with broad nibs and ounces of ink. The dots and grids I’ve come across are too small and I find myself having to ignore them.

I do like the dot grid paper but also find the 5mm spacing to small for my preferred stub nibs and larger writing.

Edited by austinwft

Neither do I like the dot grid. I benefit little from the intended guidance, and it obscures my punctuation.

I, also, dislike that people use "they", "their", and "them" as singular pronouns. "Loan" is not a verb. "Pleaded" is not a word ! I invested considerable effort in learning English. I is disappointing that so few people speak it. :angry: I, also, dislike ranting. :rolleyes:

S.R.P.I.D.

I don’t like it that the word “that” has replaced “who” when referencing people. It’s fine to say or write “the pen that clogs”. But with people “She was the one who used the pen that clogs”. I’m not ranting either.

Posted Image

"pleaded" is not a word? Really?

The trouble with being a pedant is that one is bound to be wrong, so I gave it up a while ago. It amuses me though, that my Oxford from decades past lists "pled" parenthetically as "U.S. dialect". :)

X

"pleaded" is not a word? Really?

The trouble with being a pedant is that one is bound to be wrong, so I gave it up a while ago. It amuses me though, that my Oxford from decades past lists "pled" parenthetically as "U.S. dialect". :)

My Webster's unabridged, which is about as American as they come, actually lists "pleaded" first, indicating that it is the preferred form. Before correcting people on forums, I've taken to checking my facts unless I'm really, really sure. And even then, I usually hold off unless it's relevant to the discussion, or affects clarity.

But about dot grid ruling, I've never used it, but have one still unused Rhodia pocket sized notebook with it. My current pocket notebook, with lines, probably has about another month before it's full. This thread makes me curious enough that I'll probably use the dots notebook to replace it and see how I like that, despite the negativity.

Actually, I strongly prefer completely blank paper at all sizes. I never had an issue keeping the lines of text straight, and I don't feel that I'm being forced to keep my handwriting at a particular size. But I have a lot of lined notebooks to use up, and blank paper seems harder to find at the smaller sizes anyway.

"So convenient a thing it is to be a reasonable creature, since it enables one to find or make a reason for everything one has a mind to do."

- Benjamin Franklin