I Hate Dot Grid Ruling!

Conan the Grammarian

I don't like being wrong, either ! I will offer penance by writing with a (gasp!) ballpoint pen for an hour. If my wife reads this, I'll never hear the end of it. Please don't tell on me.

"Let the punishment fit the crime"...and THAT punishment is FAR worse. :crybaby:

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."

Oscar Wilde

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bookman

• Diderot

• Astronymus

• praxim

It's my least favorite. However, I wouldn't go so far as to hate it. I just don't use it. I presume there are others who like it, so I'm okay with it existing.

I share the same opinion. My personal tastes are my own, and preferences are unique. That said, if the only paper I have would be dot grid to write a quick note-I would not mind using it-but for full scale notes, it's not ideal. (I tend to ramble, sorry)

<i>Many boys will bring you flowers. But someday you'll meet a boy who will learn your favourite flower, your favourite song, your favourite sweet. And even if he is too poor to give you any of them, it won't matter because he will have taken the time to know you as no one else does. Only that boy earns your heart-Leigh Bardugo

. Please assume no affiliation, as I'm just a pleased customer. IG: Lenses and pens_

Rhodia dotgrid paper is my favourite type of paper. It has a silkiness about it that all the others lack.

BUT

I hate the actual dot grids! There are 2 very big major problems with it:

1) They're too narrow to be written comfortably on every line, but too wide to be written on every 2 lines. This just makes it really wasteful of space and inefficient

2) The actual dots do diddly squat for helping guiding your handwriting, so my handwriting actually ends up having a more bumpy ride, up hill and down dale, than I do on plain paper. They're more a distraction than anything else because they make you feel as if you should be trying to aim to write on the line. Whereas even with plain paper you can go by instinct and imagination but with dotgrid I've got that nagging voice in my head going "keep to the lines you gormless idiot!". Neither lined nor plain paper has such problems.

Edited by Bluey

Yes, this speaks to me!

Ah, the tyranny of other people's rulings.

+1 for plain paper (or faint dot grid second best)

I share the same opinion. My personal tastes are my own, and preferences are unique. That said, if the only paper I have would be dot grid to write a quick note-I would not mind using it-but for full scale notes, it's not ideal. (I tend to ramble, sorry)

It's a subject that calls for rambling.

I wouldn’t mind it if it were 7mm. I like writing large, with broad nibs and ounces of ink. The dots and grids I’ve come across are too small and I find myself having to ignore them.

This.

I love dot grid! It's my favorite. But only the good neutral-colored dots (i.e. gray, not the icky bright purple of Rhodia/ClaireFontaine). Fabriano does it "right" with neutral unobtrusive gray, and there are Japanese brand paper notebooks that also have gray dots and ruling. I now have 5mm and 4mm dot grid by Fabriano BioPrima paper and plan to try some Japanese dot grid papers soon.

In general, I have an aversion to the bright in-your-face blue-purple lining of ClaireFontaine and Rhodia that can easily overwhelm the writing (as well as their paper color for both ivory and white and surface behavior), so I generally avoid those brands.

Edited by Intensity

“I admit it, I'm surprised that fountain pens are a hobby. ... it's a bit like stumbling into a fork convention - when you've used a fork all your life.” 

I'm ok with dots, but prefer blank paper; however I'll even use Séyès if the paper is good enough!

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

I'm just finding/arriving to this topic. Whew ... I did not understand the dots from the beginning, but thought I must be the only one. The dots pages sort of give me a headache. Just please give me a light square ruled page, please.

CFTPM

I love dot grid paper and would prefer to never have to settle for anything else. I would prefer 7mm grid but settle for writing on every second row. Happy for anyone and everyone to send me their much hated dot grid paper!

Of manufactured lined/dot/graph papers, I use dot grids more than anything else, mostly Rhodia Dot pads and Fabriano EcoQua notebooks. But I like my own dot-grid paper even more. Not a huge fan of lined paper, I'm a bigger fan of the lined sheets from my own templates, which I print on 32 lb HP Premium Choice.

In tinkering with different variables in Photoshop I stumbled on beige as a dot/line color. The beige dots or lines are plainly there before I write on them, but they're less obtrusive than blue and gray, the colors I see the most often on the market. And then beige seems to disappear once written upon, which I also like. And so I made several beige-based templates—dot grid, college rule, wide rule, college and wide rule notebook paper with beige left-margin lines, and landscape and portrait orientations for the lined templates. Highly recommended.

Edited by Bookman

I love the smell of fountain pen ink in the morning.

I don't like being wrong, either ! I will offer penance by writing with a (gasp!) ballpoint pen for an hour. If my wife reads this, I'll never hear the end of it. Please don't tell on me.

"Let the punishment fit the crime"...and THAT punishment is FAR worse. :crybaby:

*Shudders*

Just write 20 sentences with an FP of your choice, ten each containing 'pleaded' and the verb 'loan'... on heavy dot grid paper...

Hi, I'm Mat

:)

But I like my own dot-grid paper even more.

I'm a bigger fan of the lined sheets from my own templates, which I print on 32 lb HP Premium Choice.

Is there a link on the web for printing out lined sheets to be used "under" a plain sheet - I believe it's referred to as a guide sheet?

Would you, or some other kind soul put it up?

Thanks.

Of manufactured lined/dot/graph papers, I use dot grids more than anything else, mostly Rhodia Dot pads and Fabriano EcoQua notebooks. But I like my own dot-grid paper even more. Not a huge fan of lined paper, I'm a bigger fan of the lined sheets from my own templates, which I print on 32 lb HP Premium Choice.

In tinkering with different variables in Photoshop I stumbled on beige as a dot/line color. The beige dots or lines are plainly there before I write on them, but they're less obtrusive than blue and gray, the colors I see the most often on the market. And then beige seems to disappear once written upon, which I also like. And so I made several beige-based templates—dot grid, college rule, wide rule, college and wide rule notebook paper with beige left-margin lines, and landscape and portrait orientations for the lined templates. Highly recommended.

Beige sounds good! I also don't like how distracting some dots are when they are very visible. I like neutral gray dots out of the available offerings (but hate the purple/blue dots), but beige might just be even better. If only there were pre-bound notebooks coming with such a color pattern.

“I admit it, I'm surprised that fountain pens are a hobby. ... it's a bit like stumbling into a fork convention - when you've used a fork all your life.” 

Beige sounds good! I also don't like how distracting some dots are when they are very visible. I like neutral gray dots out of the available offerings (but hate the purple/blue dots), but beige might just be even better. If only there were pre-bound notebooks coming with such a color pattern.

In case you resort to making your own dot-grid templates, you can go to incompetech.com and and use their dot-grid template-creator. You don't need Photoshop. All you need is 32 lb HP Premium Choice Laser Paper or 24 lb HP Laserjet Paper (well, technically, any printer paper will do under extraordinary conditions) and access to a printer. In the color-picker on the incompetech page, type this color code into the box: fdc689. I use a 1.3-point dot weight with 5 dpi spacing. A 1.5-point dot weight is a little easier to see but still unobtrusive.

fpn_1507656134__dot-grids.jpg

Edited by Bookman

I love the smell of fountain pen ink in the morning.