Problem With Twsbi - Gushes Ink

CopyKat

I purchased a Twsbi eco online, and it simply gushes ink very randomly. When I say gush, what I mean is the just spurts out a ton of ink all at once. I have used the ink in many other pens, and I don't think it is the ink. I am trying to work my way through a bottle of D'atriments scented ink. So I don't think it is the ink, I am 2/3 rds the way through a bottle.

Any thoughts on what I can do about this pen?

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• marcelo

• minddance

• matteob

• CopyKat

Such burping can occur if there is significant air in the barrel: it heats up from contact with your hand, and the air expands, expelling ink Easy to prevent by making sure the pen is kept reasonably full of ink.

That may not be the case here, only you can tell. The other cause would be improper seals between the barrel and section, or with the piston mechanism. Air gets in through the gaps and allows ink to escape, although not as a spurt.

If this is a new-ish pen, best bet is to contact TWSBI directly, as they are usually very responsive in correcting any manufacturing problems.

Otherwise, it may pay to expel all the ink and strip the pen down, apply some silicon grease to the piston o-rings, and reassemble the pen, ensuring everything is nice and tight. The included instructions are pretty good at explaining the procedure, which is pretty straightforward. If you're not comfortable doing that yourself, see if there's a fellow pen nut nearby who can assist.

Cheers,

Effrafax.

"It is a well known and much lamented fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it"

Douglas Adams ("The Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy - The Original Radio Scripts").

There are 2 things which you can do to fix this:

Have a look at nib and feed, they should be aligned and pushed all the way back, so there is no room left.

They basically create a seal which will stop ink from leaking. Even 1mm gap would cause a problem and these parts can get dislodged in the pencil case or transit...

Second fix is to wipe the pen when you ink it up. It is a little thing, but it can make all the difference.

If both of those fail, then just go back to TWSBI/retailer...

Best of luck :)

Mishka

bureaudirect the home of quality stationery
www.bureaudirect.co.uk
@bureaudirect

I purchased a Twsbi eco online, and it simply gushes ink very randomly. When I say gush, what I mean is the just spurts out a ton of ink all at once. I have used the ink in many other pens, and I don't think it is the ink. I am trying to work my way through a bottle of D'atriments scented ink. So I don't think it is the ink, I am 2/3 rds the way through a bottle.

HAVE YOU READ THE INSTRUCTION GIVEN BY TWSBI?

It says first fill up the pen then expel some drops out and then point your nib facing the ceiling and draw the piston back like you are filling it back except with air and that should do it.

Thanks for the tips, I will give it a go adjusting the nib and the feed, if not I will let Twbsi know. I have another one of their pens and I love it.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, I share your experience in my Eco Broad. The ink bypasses the nib and burps through the underside of the feed enthusiastically onto the paper. I realised this burping responds to writing pressure and angle. In other words, I could have gotten a feed that does not snugly fit into the section or nib collar.

And when ink does not gush out, it flows inconsistently, and this problem is magnified by some inks and a broad nib. No, it is not my writing angle.

No such problem with my other pens at all (pelikan, pilot, platinum, sailor)

In other words, Eco is either not a well-designed pen or a lack of quality control or a combination of these.

For reference, Diamine Chocolate Brown burped often in my Eco Broad; Diamine China Blue reduced burps.

To be argumentative, Pelikan also uses a piston filling system - but never burped ink, at least mine don't. So, i do not buy that heat and pressure theory. It boils down to the poor design and engineering or lack thereof in the Twsbi Eco.

The WingSung 698 and 3008, Lanbitou 3059, all piston, very cheap, never burped ink or leaked.

I enthusiastically urge Twsbi designers to take a look at those - and probably learn a thing or two.

Edited by minddance

Havent use my pens for a while, found that the pistons were completely stuck inside the barrel, this meant a complete strip down. For the future I will be leaving water inside the barrel if I am not using the pen.

• 3 weeks later...

I had the same problem with my eco. The problem here is with the seating of the feed in the barrel. Ask TWSBI to send you a replacement barrel and feed and it should work. Mine is good as new now.

Edited by Aditkamath26

Thinking aloud: Why can't Twsbi produce pens that do not require so much aftersales?

I think it would demand more expensive materials and stuff, what would put their prices at a non-competitive level.

I think it would demand more expensive materials and stuff, what would put their prices at a non-competitive level.

I would respectfully disagree. Pilot puts up pens that last much longer, at a lower price point. I have several that are four to five years old, and needed nothing but periodic cleaning.

That ignores the question of their using special filling mechanisms. However, my argument would be that if they can't put out a special filling mechanism at a price point that allows them to build it well without needing significant amounts of aftermarket repair, then they shouldn't build it at all.

Physician- signing your scripts with Skrips!

I'm so tough I vacation in Detroit.

My first TWSBI, a smoke 540 is going well after few years of use. It is in constant use. Only care I take is to apply silicone gel to piston seal after every cleaning and no over tightening section and piston mechanism.

I would respectfully disagree. Pilot puts up pens that last much longer, at a lower price point. I have several that are four to five years old, and needed nothing but periodic cleaning.

That ignores the question of their using special filling mechanisms. However, my argument would be that if they can't put out a special filling mechanism at a price point that allows them to build it well without needing significant amounts of aftermarket repair, then they shouldn't build it at all.

Solid argumentation.

Is the 580 / 580AL series similarly affected by QC/uneven flow/ink burping? Or just the Eco?

“I admit it, I'm surprised that fountain pens are a hobby. ... it's a bit like stumbling into a fork convention - when you've used a fork all your life.” 

My pilot steel nib pens are prone to doing this - solution is always to pull the nib and feed out and press them in very securely again. Make sure your nib and feed are completely in there.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

• 2 weeks later...

I have 4 TWSBIs, a Diamond 580 and 3 Ecos. Only one of them is my problem child, and I've tried everything I can think of to make it behave. Of course the boring black and white ones don't act up, it's my favorite neon green. It drips and gushes ink constantly, more than once I've opened it and found the cap filled with ink. It seems that the feed is just way too loose in the barrel, which causes the ink to flood right past the nib and drip onto the page.

Thanks, Aditkamath26, I'll contact TWSBI and hopefully they'll make it right. I've been happy with their pens so far except this one.

I have 4 TWSBIs, a Diamond 580 and 3 Ecos. Only one of them is my problem child, and I've tried everything I can think of to make it behave. Of course the boring black and white ones don't act up, it's my favorite neon green. It drips and gushes ink constantly, more than once I've opened it and found the cap filled with ink. It seems that the feed is just way too loose in the barrel, which causes the ink to flood right past the nib and drip onto the page.

Thanks, Aditkamath26, I'll contact TWSBI and hopefully they'll make it right. I've been happy with their pens so far except this one.

My brother has the same problem, the feed is very loose in the section. It seems to me that TWSBI make the pens a little too easy to take apart, better to leave them alone unless you really, really have to take them apart. One of his pens has a stuck piston and filling knob, and the feed almost falls out on its own.

Twsbi blame him for assembly and using Diamine ink which has caused the piston to stick.

They want him to send the pen back to them by tracked mail which would cost as much as the pen is worth.

Excellent point, and solid business acumen that TWSBI apparently doesn't have. After sales service costs a good amount of money. A great warranty is nice, but combining it with dodgy build quality is a great way to sink your company in the long run.

Excellent point, and solid business acumen that TWSBI apparently doesn't have. After sales service costs a good amount of money. A great warranty is nice, but combining it with dodgy build quality is a great way to sink your company in the long run.

I have been fooled like that a car as well as this Twsbi Eco that is stuck. I made the mistake of thinking that any car company who offers a three year warranty, must be making a better product. At the time Mitsubishi were the only car company offering a 3 year warranty on their cars and I bought a Shogun (I think some places call the model a Pajero) and a Gallant VR4. Easily the two most unreliable cars I have owned with basic faults such as the oil pan could not be sealed causing oil leaks throughout its life or failure. of the suspension. I have three TWSBIs and they are just not reliable, the pistons stick or blob ink or ink seaps into the cap.

As Jekostas says, dont be fooled by the thought that a great warranty means a great product.