Montblanc X Fritz Schimpf Special Edition Italic 100 Fountain Pen

Fritz Schimpf

We, Fritz Schimpf, have shared our passion for the art of writing since 1880. One of our main distinctive points is that we are

always trying to offer our clients the best fitting writing instrument for their type of handwriting and hand size.

Especially fountain pens and their ability to have a positive influence on the handwriting as well as the writing comfort

they offer are our favorite writing instruments.

While the existing variety of different forms and sizes of pens nearly always makes it possible to find a fitting pen for each

client, the variety in nibs has decreased over the last years.

Due to our experience with clients we have wanted to bring back part of the variety in nibs thus enabling us to offer the

perfect nib for every client. Thanks to the cooperation with Montblanc we have managed to widen the offer with an

exclusive collaboration.

post-80974-0-95528800-1506413300_thumb.png

The Montblanc x Fritz Schimpf Sonderedition Italic 100 is based on the Montblanc Meisterstück LeGrand Platinum

Line fountain pen (146P).

post-80974-0-10249400-1506413423_thumb.jpg

The nib, the heart of the fountain pen, is a 14-K gold nib with a special cut we defined together with the excellent nib

masters at Montblanc. This special cut enables the nib to offer different stroke widths. Nibs like that are called Italic nibs.

Over 50 years have passed since the last time Montblanc had an Italic nib in its assortment.

Due to the different widths, Italic nibs enhance the individual characteristics of each handwriting and create a unique

and distinctive typeface. Thanks to the chosen width, the vertical stroke is around 0,7 mm, the horizontal stroke is

around 0,3 mm the Montblanc x Fritz Schimpf Sonderedition Italic 100 fountain pens are ideal for small and medium handwriting.

post-80974-0-63672100-1506413543_thumb.jpg

In order to get the maximum stroke difference effect it might be necessary to adapt the way one holds the fountain pen.

Please have a look at the different writing samples which have been written with Fritzrot (our special ink) on our DIN A5

correspondence paper. The Montblanc x Fritz Schimpf Sonderedition Italic 100 fountain pen is recognizable by the engravings

on both sides of the nib (Italic 100 and Fritz Schimpf).

Once one gets accustomed to the nib the writing properties are fascinating. The Italic 100 fountain pen seduces the writer to

playfully form letters, perceive their form, change it and rediscover the own handwriting anew.

We are expecting the arrival of the Montblanc x Fritz Schimpf Sonderedition Italic 100 fountain pens by mid October 2017. They

will be available exclusively at our shop and are limited to 100 pieces.

Should you wish any further information or to pre-order please send us an email to service@fritz-schimpf.de.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Fritz Schimpf

• Ghost Plane

• zaddick

• Tom Kellie

I specially like the nib engraving and the italic nature...!

I also wanted to ask: are you sure an italic nib would produce a 0.3mm line on the side stroke? It sounds rather thick... i have a few italic nibs (stubs, Cursive italics and cursive italic obliques) and all are narrower than 0.3mm

This is awesome. Since we are in the mall, where is the purchasing link?

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

I specially like the nib engraving and the italic nature...!

I also wanted to ask: are you sure an italic nib would produce a 0.3mm line on the side stroke? It sounds rather thick... i have a few italic nibs (stubs, Cursive italics and cursive italic obliques) and all are narrower than 0.3mm

Thank you. The nib of the Montblanc x Fritz Schimpf Sonderedition Italic 100 fountain pen has a horizontal stroke width of around 0,3 mm. In the process of defining the nib we have had nibs with thinner horizontal lines (0,10 to 0,25 mm) but the sweet spot of these nibs was quite small. We wanted a nib for small handwriting which creates line variations and writes smooth without the need to get accustomed to a small sweet spot. Therefore the edges of our nib needed to be rounded thus making them a bit broader. We decided to put the writing comfort before a bigger italic effect.

Thanks to the excellent nib masters at Montblanc this has succeded. Even the left-handers who have tried the nib have had a smooth writing experience without skipping.

This is awesome. Since we are in the mall, where is the purchasing link?

Sorry for that and thank you for the hint. Here is the link to the Montblanc x Fritz Schimpf Sonderedition Italic 100 fountain pen: https://www.fritz-schimpf.de/Neuheiten/Montblanc-x-Fritz-Schimpf-Sonderedition-Italic-100-Kolbenfuellhalter.html

As our webshop is available only in German we offer the option to order via email.

~ Fritz Schimpf:

It's encouraging to learn of a fresh approach to a familiar theme.

Thank you to your design team and your Montblanc partners for this very special fountain pen.

I'm grateful that your Web site includes an English version, more handwriting samples and pen photos.

You've brightened 2017 by offering this high quality pen.

Tom K.

I also vote for a 149, and with more variation between horizontal and vertical strokes.

Good luck with these. I think it is a good introduction to what MB can do with bespoke nibs.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

~ Fritz Schimpf:

It's encouraging to learn of a fresh approach to a familiar theme.

Thank you to your design team and your Montblanc partners for this very special fountain pen.

I'm grateful that your Web site includes an English version, more handwriting samples and pen photos.

You've brightened 2017 by offering this high quality pen.

Tom K.

Tom Kellie,

this is one of the nicest things we have heard about our special edition. Thank you so much.

I also vote for a 149, and with more variation between horizontal and vertical strokes.

Good luck with these. I think it is a good introduction to what MB can do with bespoke nibs.

Zaddick,

what nib size would you prefer (F, M, B or BB) for the 149? Within the fine nib range it is quite difficult to get more line variation than our Italic 100 without sacrifizing the writing comfort. Thank you for the good wishes and we will see what we can do regarding the 149.

I totally agree with you on Montblanc and their nib building abilities. Montblanc is able to combine their decade long knowledge with new tecnologies creating fascinating new nib posibilities.

I dont know about Zaddick, but the notion of an italic BB 149 with crisp line variation is exciting.

For discussion purposes heres my stock BB with a writing sample on Rhodia paper so we have a baseline to work from.

post-6430-0-69566300-1506602674_thumb.jpeg

Love your pen.

Do you have something like this in mind?

post-80974-0-74936700-1506607406_thumb.jpg

This was also written on a DIN A5 sheet of paper (same as our Italic 100 samples).

We offered this nib, the Fritzfeder 135, in celebration of our 135th shop anniversary for the Pelikan Souverän M800 and M805 fountain pens.
Following our specifications the nibmasters at Pelikan manufactured the Fritzfeder 135 as an Italic nib with a broad stroke of around 1,35 mm and a thin stroke of 0,5 to 0,6 mm.

Thank you. You are on the right track. I am thinking go big for a 149.

I can happily go as wide as 1.5 and mourn the demise of the BBB, which is why Im partial to an OBBB. (See my latest below). There is a fair contingent of O3B lovers on here as witnessed by the threads by that name in the Montblanc forum. What might be possible on a 149 chassis and how many would it take to convince MB to put out an italic 3B or O3B?

Or do we have to begin with a stock nib in the current inventory and work from there?

post-6430-0-30027000-1506623158_thumb.jpeg

post-6430-0-81326200-1506623171_thumb.jpeg

Love your pen.

Do you have something like this in mind?

attachicon.gifGhost.jpg

This was also written on a DIN A5 sheet of paper (same as our Italic 100 samples).

We offered this nib, the Fritzfeder 135, in celebration of our 135th shop anniversary for the Pelikan Souverän M800 and M805 fountain pens.
Following our specifications the nibmasters at Pelikan manufactured the Fritzfeder 135 as an Italic nib with a broad stroke of around 1,35 mm and a thin stroke of 0,5 to 0,6 mm.

I think this is in the right direction. I like as broad as feasible, but about 1.5 is about it for daily writing. For me to pay the premium over a new pen, the nib would need to offering something I do not already have in my collection. A 3-tine music nib or a BBB-italic would be of the most interest to me. Something with 3-to-1 or 4-to-1 line variation would be ideal while still remaining some smoothness around the edges (so not a formal italic).

The challenge is the fact there are nib smiths out there who can create a lot of variation for not a lot of money. I am willing to pay a little more for something from the factory (I am one of the few fools who bought the Omas Paragon 90th anniversay pen withthe 3B nib because it was the only 3 B Omas ever produced.), but it would need to be something I cannot replicate easily elsewhere.

Here are a few photos of my 1970s 3B 149 nib. Giving me more variation on that nib and being able to add some spring over a modern factory nib would be a real winner.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/325098-welcome-to-the-broad-side/?do=findComment&comment=3881266

Thre are a fiar number of people who have the O3B nib here on FPN, but who would probably rather just have a regular 3B. The bought an oblique since it was the only option. Maybe that market is big enought to do a limited run of 149s? i don't want to grind my factory 3B as it is hard to find, but a new 3B with some spring and great line vairation... yeah, that would be something I could easily get behind with some Euros.

I'll also throw out a vote for an architect nib or a stacked nib like Sailor creates. I find the variety offered is interesting enough to justify a new purchase. I am sure a stacked/layered nib is a fantasy, but some older EF and F nibs did display architech characteristics from the factory, so doing that in a bolder nib should be feasible.

Thanks for considering the feedback.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

Yes! If not a 3B italic, I could get behind a music nib in a 149. Especially if it had a little edge to it. Width and line variation we can’t get anywhere else is the key.

I had one of those Omas and had to give it up to get my Skeletons. Awesome nib on a bland pen too short & light for my hand. Too bad Omas waited too long to release something so attractive to heavy users. If they’d put the 3B on their 360 and increased the ink capacity, that would’ve been a fantasy pen.

I dont know about Zaddick, but the notion of an italic BB 149 with crisp line variation is exciting.

Thank you. You are on the right track. I am thinking go big for a 149.

I can happily go as wide as 1.5 and mourn the demise of the BBB, which is why Im partial to an OBBB. (See my latest below). There is a fair contingent of O3B lovers on here as witnessed by the threads by that name in the Montblanc forum. What might be possible on a 149 chassis and how many would it take to convince MB to put out an italic 3B or O3B?

I think this is in the right direction. I like as broad as feasible, but about 1.5 is about it for daily writing. For me to pay the premium over a new pen, the nib would need to offering something I do not already have in my collection. A 3-tine music nib or a BBB-italic would be of the most interest to me. Something with 3-to-1 or 4-to-1 line variation would be ideal while still remaining some smoothness around the edges (so not a formal italic).

Here are a few photos of my 1970s 3B 149 nib. Giving me more variation on that nib and being able to add some spring over a modern factory nib would be a real winner.

Thre are a fiar number of people who have the O3B nib here on FPN, but who would probably rather just have a regular 3B. The bought an oblique since it was the only option. Maybe that market is big enought to do a limited run of 149s? i don't want to grind my factory 3B as it is hard to find, but a new 3B with some spring and great line vairation... yeah, that would be something I could easily get behind with some Euros.

Yes! If not a 3B italic, I could get behind a music nib in a 149. Especially if it had a little edge to it. Width and line variation we can’t get anywhere else is the key.

I too would be extremely interested in a 149 with a BB or BBB italic nib. I'd find a financial way!

~ Fritz Schimpf:

What my friends have expressed above reflects my feelings.

I'd gladly pay the Euros for a 149 with a nib of distinction, featuring crisp line variation.

Your talented design team has already offered an outstanding pen in the 146 italic nib.

If they were to someday develop with Montblanc's Hamburg nibmeisters a generous 149 with distinctive characteristics, I'd be a customer.

An italic nib? A music nib? An architect's point? A springy nib? A BBB nib?

Those of us who enjoy writing with broader Montblanc nibs would welcome a model offering what's now little more than a dream.

Your thoughtfulness in considering our preferences is deeply appreciated and may well result in future purchases.

A writing instrument vendor who listens is a treasure!

Tom K.

• 4 weeks later...

We are happy to announce that we have received the first pieces of our

Montblanc x Fritz Schimpf Sonderedition Italic 100 fountain pens.

Here is a picture of the box:

post-80974-0-90725700-1508767801_thumb.jpg

All pre-orders have been shipped. So far the feedback on the nib is very positive.

Best regards