Daiso A4 Refill Paper Review

dcwaites

Daiso stationery products are all designed in Japan, but aren't all make there. The very best of their paper products, like the Kraft-bound notebooks, are made in Japan, and that paper is truly delightful.

This note, however, is about the A4 loose-leaf binder refills. They come in a pack of 70 sheets, lined and unlined. The lined version is spaced at 60 mm, suitable for those, like me, with small handwriting and fine nibs. Others may wish to use the unlined version and either print their own lines or use a guide sheet.

The paper seems to be about 70gsm, and is well-behaved with most inks. Some inks that are more heavily-laden with surfactants (Liberty's Elysium, I'm looking at you) spread just a little, but most others behave just fine. Other than that, I don't see any feathering or bleeding with any of the inks I have used.

The paper has a slight matt feel to it. Not quite rough, but not smooth like Maruman, Kokuyo or the Japanese-made Daiso notebooks. Because of this surface, I found that most nibs gave me a bit of feedback. Not very much, but enough for you to feel it.

As mentioned above, the paper comes in 70 sheet packs and sell for whatever the basic Daiso price is in your country (AU$2.80 in Australia). That price is not quite as good as Muji, which sells larger packs for a bit more, but is very close.

Which is better? I feel that Muji paper is better, but for me, the Daiso shop is more convenient. Also my Daiso shop only has A4 and my Muji shop only has B5. However, both are much cheaper than Kokuyo Campus or Maruman refills at Kinokuniya.

fpn_1506237376__daisorefillfront.jpg

The front of my draft of this note. I used a number of inks, including Noodler's Bad Belted Kingfisher, Monteverde Horizon Blue and Parker Penman Sapphire, in a number of pens with differing nib widths and wetness. There was no feathering or spreading with any of these inks.

fpn_1506237574__daisorefillback.jpg

The back of the paper, showing some show-through, but only a few dots of bleeding.

fpn_1412827311__pg_d_104def64.gif

“Them as can do has to do for them as can’t.

And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices.”

Granny Aching

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dcwaites

• inkypete

• effrafax

• bluebellrose

Great review and I concur - Muji generally a little better but both very good. I find A4 at Daiso and A4, A5 and B5 at Muji. They are all excellent for the price. And the binders at Muji are good value too in either two ring or multi ring. Highly recommended.

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/7260/postminipo0.png

Thanks for this, will have a look next time I'm near a Daiso. No Muji up this way yet ...

Cheers,

Effrafax.

"It is a well known and much lamented fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it"

Douglas Adams ("The Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy - The Original Radio Scripts").

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Thanks for this review! I have only recently discovered Daiso (despite their stores being all around my area!) and really like their inexpensive kraft notebooks. I'll pick up some of this loose-leaf paper next time.

• 4 weeks later...

I went into my local Daiso in Parramatta Westfield the other day to get a couple of their B5 Report Pads. I have bought them previously, and found them very FP friendly, but the paper was less than smooth. OK, but just a bit rough. This new batch, though, is much more smooth. Writing on the paper with fountain pens is very pleasant.

The paper is also very FP ink tolerant. I have not been able to make it bleed or feather with any of my normal inks, nor has it with a dip pen and clerical dip pen ink.

fpn_1412827311__pg_d_104def64.gif

“Them as can do has to do for them as can’t.

And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices.”

Granny Aching

• 4 weeks later...

Very nice. Thank you.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY