My Lamy 2000 Experience.

Jaydo

When i splurged 200ish nzd for a fountain pen i thought it was an impulse buy. Two weeks later, i was thrilled with the history and build quality of the lamy 2000. but clip problems: the clip have some give and could move up and down :(. I couldn't be bothered to contact lamy support so I took tried to disassemble it with pliers with a micro fiber cloth between- bad idea scratched up cap aesthetically. Admittedly my fault by would have been nice if a 200 dollar pen didn't have these problems.

Fast forward 1 year and oops- I dropped it- I screwed it up- thankfully lamy support sent me a replacement nib for 100 nzd- still ouch though

Fast forward to present day and it's gone south: Sent three emails to l amy and got no response for a request to buy a clutch ring- you know the thing that keeps the cap in place with the knobbly metal bits. I'd lost it after I disassembled my lamy 2000 because it started leaking. I thought i was smart and it just needed some silicon grease and it would be fine.

Now, I have spent 300 nzd as a student on a pen that doesn't function and I'm not even able to buy a replacement spare parts. I had bought lamy after those raving reviews about how helpful lamy support is but not responding to any requests- three of them- even after two months of waiting? I still a fountain pen addict though and I spent another 200 nzd on a pilot vp which still works- treating it with way more care now that I've already gone through this painful endeavor.

I'm still new to this forum but hopefully someone has got replacement parts (need a replacement clutch tab spring as seen in last photo enclosed)- I've got budget up to 20 nzd- or advice on how to reach Lamy as their website query thing obviously doesn't work. praying still that it won't still leak- haven't found cause as there were no cracks even under friends microscope.

Cheers.

Jaydo

post-139117-0-96346300-1506221965_thumb.jpg

post-139117-0-39303700-1506222073_thumb.jpg

post-139117-0-02556600-1506222237_thumb.jpg

post-139117-0-42055100-1506222252_thumb.jpg

post-139117-0-29896000-1506222957.png

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jaydo

• Donald2

• Inkysloth

• ParkerDuofold

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I just recently contacted Lamy. I used their offical website, but answer came for lamy importer here in Finland. They wanted whole pen and send it to the lamy factory. So if you can find who is importer in your country, I suggest trying to contact them directly.

In the US I contacted Lamy directly and got a quick and wonderfully helpful response.
The process in NZ may be different.

As a student, there are a lot of lessons in your story.

Send it direct to the Lamy address in Heidelberg, Germany with a letter stating all your problems and naively ask how much it will cost to fix the problems. The likelihood is that you won't hear anything back from them, but they'll fix and return your pen for nothing and just send it back, looking like new (they also refinish the makrolon so it will look like a new pen). You'll get your problems sorted out for the cost of registered mail to Germany.

"Truth can never be told, so as to be understood, and not be believ'd." (Wiiliam Blake)

Visit my review: Thirty Pens in Thirty Days

Send it direct to the Lamy address in Heidelberg, Germany with a letter stating all your problems and naively ask how much it will cost to fix the problems. The likelihood is that you won't hear anything back from them, but they'll fix and return your pen for nothing and just send it back, looking like new (they also refinish the makrolon so it will look like a new pen). You'll get your problems sorted out for the cost of registered mail to Germany.

+1.

Send it straight to Heidelberg. :thumbup:

Sorry to hear all the problems you've had, but don't let it get you down. Be well and enjoy life. :)

- Anthony

When i splurged 200ish nzd for a fountain pen i thought it was an impulse buy. Two weeks later, i was thrilled with the history and build quality of the lamy 2000. but clip problems: the clip have some give and could move up and down :(. I couldn't be bothered to contact lamy support so I took tried to disassemble it with pliers with a micro fiber cloth between- bad idea scratched up cap aesthetically. Admittedly my fault by would have been nice if a 200 dollar pen didn't have these problems.

Fast forward 1 year and oops- I dropped it- I screwed it up- thankfully lamy support sent me a replacement nib for 100 nzd- still ouch though

Fast forward to present day and it's gone south: Sent three emails to l amy and got no response for a request to buy a clutch ring- you know the thing that keeps the cap in place with the knobbly metal bits. I'd lost it after I disassembled my lamy 2000 because it started leaking. I thought i was smart and it just needed some silicon grease and it would be fine.

Now, I have spent 300 nzd as a student on a pen that doesn't function and I'm not even able to buy a replacement spare parts. I had bought lamy after those raving reviews about how helpful lamy support is but not responding to any requests- three of them- even after two months of waiting? I still a fountain pen addict though and I spent another 200 nzd on a pilot vp which still works- treating it with way more care now that I've already gone through this painful endeavor.

I'm still new to this forum but hopefully someone has got replacement parts (need a replacement clutch tab spring as seen in last photo enclosed)- I've got budget up to 20 nzd- or advice on how to reach Lamy as their website query thing obviously doesn't work. praying still that it won't still leak- haven't found cause as there were no cracks even under friends microscope.

Cheers.

Jaydo

Hi, Jaydo,

Don't sweat it too much. All of us have probably broken lots of pens by attempted repair. At least, I know I sure did. :unsure:

A moment of silence please, for my 3776# Century.

Anyway, I would do what the others said and directly contact Lamy for a replacement clutch ring. I also believe that if you can somehow find a Lamy retailer that you can order parts to be replaced with cost.

thanks guys and gals, i didn't realise you could just mail the pen straight to them- hopefully that works.

+1.

Send it straight to Heidelberg. :thumbup:

Sorry to hear all the problems you've had, but don't let it get you down. Be well and enjoy life. :)

- Anthony

thanks guys and gals, i didn't realise you could just mail the pen straight to them- hopefully that works.

Hi Jaydo,

Yup... in fact, I think it's the best way. :thumbup:

If you want to be an ace about it... include a money order that will cover their return shipping back to you... that little act of thoughtfulness on your part may ensure all the more that you'll get a fully repaired pen sent back to you w/o a bill. :D

- Anthony

Cheers.

Jaydo

I have three 2000s and all the clips have some play in them. I think it's normal.

On my tenth birthday, Dad bought me a new Gruen wrist watch. I took it to my room and opened the back of the watch. I was never able to put all the pieces back into the case. I put all the "bits" into a cloth pouch. Half a century later, the pouch and contents remind me that uniformed tampering is not a good idea. I guess the LAMY 2000 is YOUR Gruen watch. (Learning all the time !)

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

• 3 weeks later...

On my tenth birthday, Dad bought me a new Gruen wrist watch. I took it to my room and opened the back of the watch. I was never able to put all the pieces back into the case. I put all the "bits" into a cloth pouch. Half a century later, the pouch and contents remind me that uniformed tampering is not a good idea. I guess the LAMY 2000 is YOUR Gruen watch. (Learning all the time !)

+1

I have 2 Lamy 2000, and the clip also moves, but only with considerable force. I didn't even noticed it before, because I almost never put that kind of presure on my pens.

When I first got into fountain pens I assumed they were pretty simple and straightforward. I've since learned that most pens have way more parts and nuance than I ever imagined.

And add me to the list of people who thought they could fix a pen only to eventually send it to a professional. I have a better idea what things I can fix (very narrow list) and what things I can't. I may poke at something outside my comfort zone for a couple minutes but quickly send to a professional before I can do more harm.

• 2 weeks later...

I just recently contacted Lamy. I used their offical website, but answer came for lamy importer here in Finland. They wanted whole pen and send it to the lamy factory. So if you can find who is importer in your country, I suggest trying to contact them directly.

Already done that. No response. Think Nz is too small for an importer

+1, I've learnt my lesson and decided to keep it in on my desk as a reminder of my failure as shipping to Germany costs too much from nz :( , Next year, Im gonna to Europe for a exchange (In france) but still close enough and Ill get it fixed then

Hi, Jaydo,

Don't sweat it too much. All of us have probably broken lots of pens by attempted repair. At least, I know I sure did. :unsure:

A moment of silence please, for my 3776# Century.

Anyway, I would do what the others said and directly contact Lamy for a replacement clutch ring. I also believe that if you can somehow find a Lamy retailer that you can order parts to be replaced with cost.

+1, sounds good doesn't work, best to get it all sorted out next year, I've got a Pilot Vp and second hand Montblanc 146 I got off eBay to tide me over until then. Hopefully I don't break those, the montblanc was literally all my work in a coffee shop in the hols. Fountain pens really make me make questionable financial decisions :).

didn't know that, learning once more. even more regret.

I have three 2000s and all the clips have some play in them. I think it's normal.

• 1 year later...

What's the story with the lifetime warranty on the Lamy 2000? Will Lamy in Heidelberg, Germany cover the Lamy 2000 on all types of repairs or only on certain ones? Also, I've read somewhere that the Lamy lifetime warranty is voided if one uses anything else other than Lamy inks in the pen. How would Lamy "know" that someone used another ink in it if the ink were to be the same color ink that Lamy produces like blue, blue/black or black ink? Can someone who know the lifetime warranty coverage explain what Lamy in Heidelberg, Germany will cover and not cover on the Lamy 2000 and what their restrictions are to not void the lifetime warranty on this particular fountain pen.

Theres nothing on Lamys website about voiding the warranty if you use non-Lamy inks. But theres also nothing on a lifetime warranty at all.

I would recommend contacting Lamy directly through the contact form on their website.

Instagram @inkysloth

I've had two and handled a few more. It's normal. Has to be some room for movement since the clip is spring loaded. Lamy 2000 = Form follows function.

It bothered me at first, but now I don't even notice it.

Theres nothing on Lamys website about voiding the warranty if you use non-Lamy inks. But theres also nothing on a lifetime warranty at all.

I would recommend contacting Lamy directly through the contact form on their website.

I remember in an old post somewhere here in the forums that someone mentioned that Lamy in Heidelberg, Germany offers a lifetime warranty on the Lamy 2000 and that they will repair or replace it if anything breaks or goes wrong with it. However, that particular person also mentioned something about the Lamy lifetime warranty being void if one were to use any other types of ink brand in the fountain pen besides the Lamy inks. I would like to establish whether or not this is true and whether Lamy in Heidelberg, Germany will offer a lifetime warranty on this particular fountain pen or whether they will void the lifetime warranty if one uses ink brands other than Lamy inks in the pen.