Parker 61 Capillary Filler And Certain Inks

jcreilley

Hello,

I've always been careful with my 61, putting some tame blue or black into it while my other pens enjoy my 'fancier' inks. It's kind of a shame since my 61's nib is really smooth and wet, and I'd love to put a high-sheen Noodler's ink or the rest of my Emerald of Chivor in there, but I was always leery of the capillary filler's sensitivity, especially with pigment or gold particulates. Has anyone had the bravery to put a nastier ink in their capillary 61's, and what has been the success rate of such an endeavor?

Regards!

Edited by jcreilley

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• inkstainedruth

• Venemo

• Beechwood

• PithyProlix

My 61s have been rather temperamental concerning inks. Diamine Denim made their flow increase, while with Sargasso the opposite happened - and that's the reverse of what happened with other pens. Beyond that, no long-term ill effects but then again 61s seldom enjoy long lives in my hands.

I would NOT dare use inks in the 61 that contain ugly stuff, eg. gold/silver particles (Diamine shimmer, etc.) or pigments, or the nasty stuff that the Platinum Carbon has.

Other than that, you should be fine.

(I have not tried iron gall inks in my 61 either because I fear that it would clog, but I haven't actually heard of anyone who had clogged a 61 with iron gall.)

I use two Parker 61 pens. Cowardly, the ink is always Parker Quink. I might be willing to try Pelikan Königsblau. Yup ! My 61's are smooth, wet, and a pleasure to use. I am not motivated to experiment.

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

Many years ago when I purchased my first 61 capillary pen, I used only Parker Quink black. I was ignorant to the fact about flushing it out from time to time with an ear syringe squeeze bulb; therefore, after four or five years of use, I took it in to be serviced locally. The repairman did flush it. The Parker Quink black did really well, and I continued to use it. In my opinion, The Parker Pen Company might have done better with better maintenance information for 61 users.

With the capillary 61, I always filled the pen at the end of each

day since it was so easy to do. I kept the black filler unit clean by wiping it down occasionally with a facial tissue having a very small amount of WD-40. I never had to wipe off the filler unit when filling. I used this pen throughout my college career since it was very reliable.

I recently purchased a c/c 61 and do like it as well; however, I have always been fascinated by the capillary 61. I still use Parker Quink black ink. I really like black ink.

I know that I have rambled and do apologize.

Jeremy

I've only used less saturated inks in my 61s. But I have used De Atramentis Apple Blossom (which is scented) in one of them, with no apparent ill-effects (the other one, once it got flushed of the ink left in it by a prior owner) has only seen J HErbin Eclat de Saphir.

I suspect that eventually I may be springing for one of the 100 ml bottles of Eclat de Saphir.... Even given how efficient those capillary fillers are.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I have only ever used Parker, Sheaffer or Montblanc blue black in my 61 capillary filler. After reading an article about pen design from the Repair forum, I will probably just use blue from now on. Blue is what the makers use to test their pens, and seems to be safest. I have had to decide to use the junk inks that might damage a sac or a feed or other parts in C/C pens only.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

I blew out my most recent fill of Quink black, and decided to be a little more adventurous and put some of my Noodler's American Aristocracy in it. After two days, there's been no issues to speak of. Flows fine, writes great. In fact the wetter ink has made the nib even better feeling, and that slight wine scent that AA has comes across loud and clear from the feed. Have to say I'm impressed! Granted AA is nowhere near the worst ink Noodler's makes in terms of hardness on a pen, but I'm at least happy to be using something besides blue and black!

As long as it is NOT particle inks (carbon or glitter), or heavily saturated, or red or purple.

Dried red and purple inks have be much harder to clean out of a pen than blue or black inks.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

I don't have a capillary feed '61, so I am writing from a position of profound ignorance here...

However, it is a capillary feed. That means that the wetness or dryness or an ink (governed by how much surfactant is in it) will affect how the ink travels through the filler. Given that the filler was designed to work with Parker Quink (w/Solv-X), a medium dry ink, I would feel that a medium dry ink like the above-mentioned Parker and Sheaffer, as well as perhaps Pelikan 4001, or even Pelikan Edelstein, would probably work best. Waterman, which tend to be a bit on the wet side, might produce a runny pen (a bit like a runny nose).

I would certainly stay away from any non-dye-based ink.

fpn_1412827311__pg_d_104def64.gif

“Them as can do has to do for them as can’t.

And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices.”

Granny Aching

• 2 months later...

Does anyone have experience with using Pelikan Edelstein ink in a capillary filler Parker 61?

No, but I (personally) would definitely consider it. The Edelstein inks are supposed to less dry than the standard Pelikan inks, IIRC.

Right now my new (red) one is the only one inked up and I'm still working my way through whatever (black) ink was still in the capillary filler that got reconstituted when I went to flush the pen out for the first time. When that pen finally gets flushed out (or if I put one of the other two back in rotation) I might run a fill of Edelstein Tanzanite or Edelstein Smoky Quartz, just to see how the ink does in the pen. Of course that means I'd be using Tanzanite for a LOOOONG time because of how much ink those capillary fillers contain....

I'm always somewhat bemused by the fact that Sheaffer's answer to the encroachment of BPs was to come out with the Snorkel -- the most complicated fill system on the planet. While Parker's answer (at least before the 45s were introduced) was to come out with the capillary fill 61.... Just stick the back end of the capillary filler in your ink for a bit and you're good to go! (And I say this as someone who has something like 6 Snorkels at this point.... :rolleyes:)

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Thank you Ruth! I'm also considering Edelstein Tanzanite, which writes nicely with my other pens that I tried with.

Thank you Ruth! I'm also considering Edelstein Tanzanite, which writes nicely with my other pens that I tried with.

I would keep to good quality ink makers such as Parker, Pelikan and Waterman. Avoid other makers who make saturated inks or permanent inks. Cleaning a Cap Filled 61 isnt as easy as it might be and the 61 prefers to stay with the same colour rather than chop and change.

True. Not the least of which reason being they take darn near forever to run through a fill.... I'm going to see how long it takes to go through what's in the one I bought at the Ohio Pen Show last month (I've now reconstituted the ink in it twice). If it's anything like my first 61, this pen may still be writing with that pen nearly till Easter.... :huh:

True. Not the least of which reason being they take darn near forever to run through a fill.... I'm going to see how long it takes to go through what's in the one I bought at the Ohio Pen Show last month (I've now reconstituted the ink in it twice). If it's anything like my first 61, this pen may still be writing with that pen nearly till Easter.... :huh:

A few years ago someone on here used some scientific scales to weigh an empty 61, filled it by drawing the ink through the capillary and then weighed it again, did the same thing with other popular fillers including the 51, a cartidge pen and a lever filled pen. The 61 beat the others in terms of capacity (apart from the piston fillers), it held the greatest weight of ink.

Does anyone have experience with using Pelikan Edelstein ink in a capillary filler Parker 61?

I've been using mine to try out the samples I received from the recent Pelikan Hub. No problem.

• 3 years later...

Does anyone have any experience with Sailor Souboku in a capillary 61?  I'm still looking for a permanent dark blue, and it fits the color and permanence that I am looking for.  I assume it's good for "normal" filling mechanisms, but will it cause problems with the capillary filler?

"Nothing is new under the sun!  Even the thing of which we say, “See, this is new!” has already existed in the ages that preceded us." Ecclesiastes

I haven't, but I'd be hesitant -- Souboku is a pigmented ink and need a little extra maintenance when flushing out of a pen.  So, personally I wouldn't put it in any of my 61s (all of which are capillary fill) any more than I'd put a highly saturated ink or a "permanent" ink in one.  The most saturated I've ever put in any of mine was, IIRC, J Herbin Bleu des Profundeurs.