Hello everyone,

I am thinking of buying my Copperplate calligraphy stationery materials from Paperinkarts.com.

Here's my stationery list :

#1 Pocket Scribbler Oblique EF66, Walnut

post-138619-0-14348400-1506043353.jpg

#2 Brause Extra Fine 66 Nib

post-138619-0-08951100-1506043396.jpg

#3 Single Refill Jar with Cap For Large Dinky Dips

post-138619-0-31357500-1506043413.jpg

Since, here in India, the only option is the Speedball Oblique holder which is not a good beginner's choice (although out on the internet everyone claims the opposite) due to the misalignment of the nib with respect to the holder itself.

post-138619-0-12352800-1506043450.jpg

Moreover, my nib choice doesn't fits in with the Speedball Oblique (Yes, I know it 'CAN BE DONE' but that's not optimal).

post-138619-0-81756500-1506043470.png

This is my final billing amount.

post-138619-0-49259100-1506043495_thumb.png

However, before spending a rupee, I wish I could get some answers to my queries :

#1 Has anybody bought from Paperinkarts, and get it imported to India ?

#2 If yes, what all (both, official and bribe) charges (and how much) did you guys had to pay ?

( As far as I understand, charges incurred would be :

i. Product charges

ii. Shipping charges

iii. Currency conversion charges

iv. Customs charges

v. Unofficial (Bribe) charges )

#3 Which 'Shipping option' had you chosen ? Personally, I have opted for 'UPS Ground', which is the cheapest (the cheapest amongst all other internation sellers, such as Goulet Pens, Jet Pens, and others) at $12.99. Does anybody have experience with the 'UPS Ground' service ? Is it reliable ?

#4 How long did it take for your order to reach you ? Did you guys face any midway-problems, such as those with the customs officer ?

#5 Are shipping charges also included in the order charges, while calculating the customs charges (because with the shipping charges included, the overall amount exceeds Rs. 2000, which attracts customs' attention) ?

#6 As suggested by other community members, I should ask the seller to 'Mark it as gift' and request to 'undervalue the order amount', and use a 'minimal and simple packaging' (which I'm a bit skeptical :huh: about as poor packaging can damage its interior contents), so that my order passes easily and unnoticed through customs. How many of you guys have tried this 'bypass' ?

#7 Are my stationery choices conflicting ? I would be grateful for the recommended tips and suggestions (for inks as well) :)

#8 How has been the overall experience of you guys with shopping from Paperinkarts.com ?

I know that's a lot to ask. But, being my first international purchase (yes, literally my first), I wanted to listen to everyone's experiences beforehand. I trust the community and would love to get as many helping hands as possible :P

Edited by basupriyapaul

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• basupriyapaul

• LanceSaintPaul

• sniyogy

Hi,

Though I have purchased from PIA, it has been normally shipped to a friend/relative in the US. Else I have noticed that the shipping charges does not justify the purchase value. I would suggest you doing something similar if you have that option. You might also look into John Neal Booksellers (https://www.johnnealbooks.com/). The have good choices and selections for supplies also.

Regarding your choices, if you have already used and are using 66EF, I have nothing to say about it. If not, I suggest you look into other choices such as Zebra/Nikko G, which might be available on ebay India much cheaper. There is the Brause steno also, available on Amazon India.

If you are looking at oblique holders and you might be using nibs of various sizes, I suggest you go with an adjustable flange. I use the Buddy Blackwell Oblique holder which has a screw to adjust to the correct size of nib. I got mine last year from JNB.

I would say, unless you're getting other stuff from either of these two shops, don't bother with the containers. I personally use small jam jars available online and they are cheap enough. I have also used Tiger Balm containers after they have finished :-) !

I hope that helps a little with your choices, although I know I have not answered your original query about the shipping and customs.

Thanks!

Hi,

Though I have purchased from PIA, it has been normally shipped to a friend/relative in the US. Else I have noticed that the shipping charges does not justify the purchase value. I would suggest you doing something similar if you have that option. You might also look into John Neal Booksellers (https://www.johnnealbooks.com/). The have good choices and selections for supplies also.

Regarding your choices, if you have already used and are using 66EF, I have nothing to say about it. If not, I suggest you look into other choices such as Zebra/Nikko G, which might be available on ebay India much cheaper. There is the Brause steno also, available on Amazon India.

If you are looking at oblique holders and you might be using nibs of various sizes, I suggest you go with an adjustable flange. I use the Buddy Blackwell Oblique holder which has a screw to adjust to the correct size of nib. I got mine last year from JNB.

I would say, unless you're getting other stuff from either of these two shops, don't bother with the containers. I personally use small jam jars available online and they are cheap enough. I have also used Tiger Balm containers after they have finished :-) !

I hope that helps a little with your choices, although I know I have not answered your original query about the shipping and customs.

Thanks!

First of all, thanks for answering this post of mine, after I had almost lost hope that anyone would even bother to read it :(

I had already checked (and check again on your suggestion) for nikko G or zebra G nibs on Ebay India. However, none are available, and even if someone is selling (highly impossible), the prices are like 10x of the actual price :yikes:

As far as the Brause Steno nib is considered, yes, it is available on Amazon India, but it still is much overpriced, while, on the other hand, I can get it at half the price quoted on Amazon, from Paperinkarts.

And thanks again for the Blackwell holder suggestion, I was recommended the Deuce 'Two-in-one' holder (it can be used as a straight as well as an oblique holder) by Prasad sir (Prasad Venkatraman - He is a wizard with all these holder stuff. I was awe-struck, seeing his handmade holders at https://www.instagram.com/zaphod1970/ ) , which is much much cheaper (only at $6.49) from Yoke Pen Co.

Link : https://www.yokepencompany.com/products/deuce

But hey, I'll definitely look into your recommendation :)

And yes, the 'Jars' idea is great. That'll save me a tiny bit of money, but hey 'A penny saved is a penny earned.' I'll search for similar jars, if present in the house, or else I'll try some 'jugaad' method (I was thinking of using the empty Parker Quink bottle for the same purpose).

Regarding the customs thing, Prasad sir told me that it won't be any issue as my final amount is not much. So, yeah, no customs charges :P

And thanks, once again, Bro, for your tips and tricks. Heartily appreciate the effort :)

Edited by basupriyapaul

As far as shipping & customs goes - from my experiences with different postal services and others' experiences with shipping companies like UPS, DHL, etc.:

I have not yet been assessed any duty on pens, inks via postal services from other countries (and I mean for packages that are properly labeled with a Customs label with actual valuation in place on that label), but others' reports highly suggest the shipping companies will assess duty charges even if not required, as a matter of course.

I am making an unsubstantiated claim that these companies may use "duty" to pad profits - that the responsibility to straighten out unwarranted charges falls on the receiver of the goods to prove duty was not required & secure a refund. I have seen enough of others' reports of this that I believe it to have merit.

Actual experience shipping to or from India I have none.

Recipient beware.

Edited by LanceSaintPaul

As far as shipping & customs goes - from my experiences with different postal services and others' experiences with shipping companies like UPS, DHL, etc.:

I have not yet been assessed any duty on pens, inks via postal services from other countries (and I mean for packages that are properly labeled with a Customs label with actual valuation in place on that label), but others' reports highly suggest the shipping companies will assess duty charges even if not required, as a matter of course.

I am making an unsubstantiated claim that these companies may use "duty" to pad profits - that the responsibility to straighten out unwarranted charges falls on the receiver of the goods to prove duty was not required & secure a refund. I have seen enough of others' reports of this that I believe it to have merit.

Actual experience shipping to or from India I have none.

Recipient beware.

First of all, thank you, Lance, for this rare info.

Well, yes, I have also read at many posts and blogs, that such unjust profit-making practices are followed by several shipping companies. These include, primarily, DHL and Fed-ex, and may be many others as well (which I am not aware of).

These shipping guys charge customs on their own, and do not have any valid base for the charges. So, basically, they are unofficial charges, on official papers (the receipt of the shipping services).

Hence, for such reasons, I have been directed by many experienced guys, towards usage of postal services, such as USPS. The main reason being that the order package is handed over to the postal services of the respective country, and hence, being a very small overall amount, no customs charges are been levied onto them :D

And once again, thank you for answering my queries, Bro :)