Top Posters In This Topic

• bob_hayden

• IndigoBOB

• Nyanzilla

• JonSzanto

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The 3009 seems handsome, too. Uh-ohhhh…

Sailor Kenshin: Somewhat so. However, if I had to choose between the 3008 or 3009, I think I would

probably go with the 3008. After writing with the Lanbitou 3059 for a couple of months, I find I prefer

the Lanbitou even more so than my 3008s. I like the locking mechanism after inking. It keeps me

from having a potential problem of ink leaking out if I accidentally turn the finial while writing;(had that

experience once, and once was enough--LOL) The clip on the Lanbitou is a nicer looking clip vs. the 3009.

It looks like the clip on the Jinhao 599, just a bit slimmer. The pale blue is the Lanbitou 3059, and the

white is the Jinhao 599 metal. Did exchange the nibs on my Lanbitou pens to medium nibs. Got them from

Bobby, and they are fairly smooth writers, which have gotten smoother with use. Having camera trouble,

so I is not the clearest snap.

fpn_1560558026__lanbitouclip61419.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

On a lark, I got a pack of 4 of these from Amazon.de in Germany, from one of if not the only seller offering them on prime, at about the right price that they usually retail for and not an extreme markup. They developed rusty caps within a week, so that's just a warning to the other Germans /EUers that the Amazon sellers might be having the older models that still rust.

This story has a happy ending of course. The size of that screw is M4 and they sold plastic ones for 29 cents each at my local hardware store. And plastic is a lot easier to cut to size than metal, and doesn't rust, so they're already fixed.

They feel cheap because they are cheap, and I like them anyway :-) Nice little pens that I would not be afraid to give to my kids to experiment with. :-)

sig2.jpgsig1.jpg

Events may be horrible or inescapable. Men always have a choice - if not whether, then how they endure.

- Lois McMaster Bujold

Today I received a pen sold as a Wing Sung 3009 that looks like the last photo in post #158,a Lanbitou 3069 that looks just like the one in post #162, and a second Lanbitou in which the light blue parts are red.

The WS usually comes only in F and EF but I ordered from an eBay seller that offered a medium nib. It turns out the nib has a Lanbitou logo on it. It writes OK but no wider than the F nib in the blue Lanbitou, which is a very nice pen performance-wise but looks pretty chintzy compared to the WS. The red Lanbitou has an XF nib which turned out to be quite stiff with a fair amount of tooth. The blue pen posts normally but the red one requires you to push the cap on really hard. So here Lanbitou is 1 for 2.5. All three pens had prices a bit over $3US each.

Sailor Kenshin: Somewhat so. However, if I had to choose between the 3008 or 3009, I think I would

probably go with the 3008. After writing with the Lanbitou 3059 for a couple of months, I find I prefer

the Lanbitou even more so than my 3008s. I like the locking mechanism after inking. It keeps me

from having a potential problem of ink leaking out if I accidentally turn the finial while writing;(had that

experience once, and once was enough--LOL) The clip on the Lanbitou is a nicer looking clip vs. the 3009.

It looks like the clip on the Jinhao 599, just a bit slimmer. The pale blue is the Lanbitou 3059, and the

white is the Jinhao 599 metal. Did exchange the nibs on my Lanbitou pens to medium nibs. Got them from

Bobby, and they are fairly smooth writers, which have gotten smoother with use. Having camera trouble,

so I is not the clearest snap.

fpn_1560558026__lanbitouclip61419.jpg

I have the Lanbitou 3059 in Fine and Extra Fine open nibs versions and the Lanbitou 3059 Extra Fine in hooded nib type and about the Wing Sung 3008 i have the older version of Wing Sung 3008 with Lamy style nib but i have fitted on him a piston turning knob from a Lanbitou 3059 i find it's looks better on the Wing Sung 3008 and it's works perfect with him . I also have the new Wing Sung 3008 with a Pilot 78G / Metropolitan style nib also with a piston turning knob from a Lanbitou 3059 fitted on him . :)

Edited by Stefan-Ionut-Marius
I love Fountain Pens, with hooded nib in the classic style, Parker 51/61 type .

Ionut - Marius

Got both 3008 and 3009. Theyy're fun! 3009 doesn't really post, but that's the only quibble.

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

My 3009 posts fine. My only concern is that the cap attaches to the metal ring betr\een the barrel and the knob you turn to fill the pen with ink. I think that ring is a nut holding the pen together, raising the possibility that accidentally twisting the posted cap could cause the pen to fall apart. At present, the metal ring feels very tight.

• 2 months later...

I don't have any calipers, and was therefore 'content' to go on blind faith trusting some faceless stranger's report of success, instead of unscrewing the cap on one of my WS3008 pens and doing the measurement myself. That report said M4 x 0.5mm is the size of the screw (which is about correct, after I made some comparisons), but that M4 x 0.4mm plastic screws worked as replacements. I just received a bunch of M4 x 0.4mm clear plastic screws and, nope, they don't work for that purpose. I've place an order for M4 x 0.6mm screws of the same type just now, since I cannot find any M4 x 0.5mm ones.

I borrowed a pair of callipers briefly last week, so while I had it, I took some measurements:

fpn_1569030933__genuine_ws3008_cap_disas

fpn_1569030887__measurements_of_original

and the acrylic M4 x 6mm screws that I use as replacements:

fpn_1569030865__measurements_of_replacem

have to be cut short by about 1.5mm to get the right thread length.

One issue with the acrylic screws is that if I don't get the right thread length, and have a few goes at tightening it enough for the cap finial to not move, wiggle or rotate at all, that can easily shred the thread on the screw rendering it useless; I had to throw out a few. Even with a pair of callipers at hand, that is quite a chore to file the screw down to the right thread length (and it's still possible to shred the thread while screwing it in); without callipers, I found the "best" way to do it is to push the screw through the hole at the top of the cap and hold it in place with a screwdriver, then eyeball the length of the protrusion and compare it with the apparent thickness of the metal finial, and file it down until it looks about right.

Edited by A Smug Dill

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

I would much rather buy a good pen and be done with it.

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

ASD, thank you for the detailed research on this popular modification.

Reviews and articles on Fountain Pen Network

CHINA, JAPAN, AND INDIA

Hua Hong Blue Belter | Penbbs 456 | Stationery | ASA Nauka in Dartmoor and Ebonite | ASA Azaadi | ASA Bheeshma | ASA Halwa | Ranga Model 8 and 8b | Ranga Emperor

ITALY AND THE UK

FILCAO Roxi | FILCAO Atlantica | Italix Churchman's Prescriptor

USA, INK, AND EXPERIMENTS

Bexley Prometheus | Route 54 Motor Oil | Black Swan in Icelandic Minty Bathwater | Robert Oster Aqua | Diamine Emerald Green | Mr. Pen Radiant Blue | Three Oysters Giwa | Flex Nib Modifications | Rollstoppers

• 4 months later...

The top pen is listed as a Wing Sung 3009 on Amazon for $15.99 for (4) pcs.. On Ebay you can

find a clear 3009 ranging in price from $2.69+, and the 3009 purple for $11.15, or (4) pcs. $34.40.

A purple WS 3008, by a USA seller, is listed at $7.29.

s-l1600.jpg

Wing Sung 3009

This appears to be a Yiren pen. The clip and the way the body is set up looks just like my Yirin "Big Bore" cartridge pens. (Two out of three good so far...)