Wing Sung 3008

Nyanzilla

As the Twisbi costs about 10-15 times as much as the 3008, I'd rather buy a dozen of them than one Twsbi.

"On the internet nobody knows you're a cat." =^.^=

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bob_hayden

• IndigoBOB

• Nyanzilla

• JonSzanto

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

As the Twisbi costs about 10-15 times as much as the 3008, I'd rather buy a dozen of them than one Twsbi.

I agree, but primarily because the TWSBI threads are sharp and I find them uncomfortable on my supporting finger under the section. No such issue for me with the 3008.

I'm a big fan of TWSBI, and I don't think the Wing Sung 3008 is going to replace my TWSBI pens in my affections any time soon... but I have to say that for the price (hang it, even for 10x the price!) they're a pretty impressive pen! I've got two inked up at the moment, and a few more still to try out in my desk drawer. Beautifully smooth F nibs (I haven't tried the EF's yet), fairly easy to disassemble and clean, excellent airtight caps, etc etc etc...

After 3 weeks of using the stock nibs, I swapped a 1.5mm nib onto one of the pens, and found it a perfect fit. The feed has no trouble keeping up, so it's been an even better experience (for me) than with the original nib.

I don't know how durable these pens will prove to be - and I'm pretty sure I won't get the same customer service as from TWSBI if my cap or barrel cracks! - but for the price, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this as a great option for anyone wanting to 'dip their toes' in the fountain pen world.

I love TWSBI Pens and I always recommend trying one and even having one. I like how solid the pens and the nibs feel. But I do like having my 3008's and what they offer for the price.

And now there is a new version of the 3008: The Wing Sung 7363, which is basically the 3008 in EF with a guaranteed Lock mechanism. Chrisrap52 is on it:

I love TWSBI Pens and I always recommend trying one and even having one. I like how solid the pens and the nibs feel. But I do like having my 3008's and what they offer for the price.

And now there is a new version of the 3008: The Wing Sung 7363, which is basically the 3008 in EF with a guaranteed Lock mechanism.

Yeah, except what is with that butt ugly clip? Geez, these people have no design sense. At least the cap/clip that ripped off TWSBI looked ok.

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Yeah, except what is with that butt ugly clip? Geez, these people have no design sense. At least the cap/clip that ripped off TWSBI looked ok.

Yeah, it's the abhorred Lanbitout 3059 clip. I don't see the appeal in this hole-in-the-center design. Keep it narrower and ditch the hole.

fpn_1502425191__letter-mini.png

I'm a big fan of TWSBI, and I don't think the Wing Sung 3008 is going to replace my TWSBI pens in my affections any time soon... but I have to say that for the price (hang it, even for 10x the price!) they're a pretty impressive pen! I've got two inked up at the moment, and a few more still to try out in my desk drawer. Beautifully smooth F nibs (I haven't tried the EF's yet), fairly easy to disassemble and clean, excellent airtight caps, etc etc etc...

lol I feel the same way. A TWSBI feels like the price you pay IMO. I think they are great values in of themselves with a Jowo nib and great designs and tolerances that these knock off.

But like you say, to be able to pay under $5 to get a great working F nib OOTB is something else. If I couldn't afford other fountain pens I could easily be content with just having 3008's, and to be able to upgrade it with a Z50 nib is something else.

Well, that clip looks ugly but it's more functional. When trying to pull over thicker fabric the clip of the 3008 won't slide easily.

Well, that clip looks ugly but it's more functional.

That is an excuse, not a reason.

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Just finished cleaning the pen after first full fill. There's still some leftover ink in the feed, so I'd like to remove it and clean completely. But, I'm having trouble removing the feed of my 3008. The darn feed won't come out even after a night's soak in water. Tried using a rubber loop, cloth, paper to aid in grip but no luck.

Any idea how to proceed? Saw a youtube video (Mr Chen disassembly), he made it look real easy. Is it normal for the feed to be so difficult to remove?

Just finished cleaning the pen after first full fill. There's still some leftover ink in the feed, so I'd like to remove it and clean completely. But, I'm having trouble removing the feed of my 3008. The darn feed won't come out even after a night's soak in water. Tried using a rubber loop, cloth, paper to aid in grip but no luck.

Any idea how to proceed? Saw a youtube video (Mr Chen disassembly), he made it look real easy. Is it normal for the feed to be so difficult to remove?

I just pulled mine out using two jar grippers...one on the nib and feed, and one on the body. I have terrible grip strenght too. They make these thin grippers that are really great for nib pulling.

Pulling nibs and feeds constantly is a recipe for disaster. Great pens go for years, decades without having the nibs and feeds pulled. You'll eventually wind up with leaks. Sometimes OCD has a downside.

~ Benjamin Franklin

I have ruined a pen by pulling out the feed. It got bent and I wasn't able to put it back again. In the end it broke apart.

There is no point in cleaning a feed to 100%. If you wanna have a pristine pen for showing, then dont fill it, or use only destilled water.

If you want to use it for writing, you'll always have ink in it and don't see the stains. Flush the pen thoroughly and refill it with ink. That's all you need to do for maintenance.

Don't disassemble the piston, as long as it does not need a new lubrication. This will keep your pen in best form and extend its life.

Edited by Nyanzilla

My thought....

IF IT'S NO BROKE

DON'T FIX IT

Ian

Pulling nibs and feeds constantly is a recipe for disaster. Great pens go for years, decades without having the nibs and feeds pulled. You'll eventually wind up with leaks. Sometimes OCD has a downside.

Well I wouldn't pull the feed on a 1000 dollar pen, but a $4 one, why not? I pull nibs and feeds all the time on inexpensive pens, swap nibs and the like. It's part of the hobby that I really enjoy. I don't do it on anything super valuable though. No need for alarm on a Wing Sung 3008.

Edited by DasKaltblut

Well I wouldn't pull the feed on a 1000 dollar pen, but a $4 one, why not? I pull nibs and feeds all the time on inexpensive pens, swap nibs and the like. It's part of the hobby that I really enjoy. I don't do it on anything super valuable though. No need for alarm on a Wing Sung 3008.

Sure, I get that. The thing is, the more times people post about pulling nibs and feeds with no caveats whatsoever, all the n00bs start doing it with *every* pen they come across. I've gotten really tired of seeing fine vintage pens with the feed snapped or the nib bent because "hey people pull nibs and feeds all the time how was I to know?". With all the vids showing this kind of over-cleaning of a pen, it has become an epidemic. You're right: it's your pen, not expensive and you can and should do what you want. Just keep in mind a lot of people read this stuff who don't know any better.

Edited by JonSzanto

~ Benjamin Franklin

If I was buying vintage pens more often I'd be just as frustrated. I bought one vintage pen and was just as frustrated lol

A lot of modern pens hold up well to that kind of cleaning, though. I'm not saying all. The feed on a TWSBI is fragile and easy to damage.

But the feed on the 3008 is obnoxiously difficult to remove. It's one I want to have loosen up. It makes you search for the most rubbery thing you can find.

Sometimes chinese pens can have Out Of the Factory residue on it that makes it even clingier.

Pens made in China provide chances to experiment and educate ourselves. I’ve pulled a lot of nibs and feeds and put most of them back together, but not all of them. I don’t know how to learn without making mistakes, and it’s great for a beginner to make mistakes on a pen that costs less than $5.

Reviews and articles on Fountain Pen Network

CHINA, JAPAN, AND INDIA

Hua Hong Blue Belter | Penbbs 456 | Stationery | ASA Nauka in Dartmoor and Ebonite | ASA Azaadi | ASA Bheeshma | ASA Halwa | Ranga Model 8 and 8b | Ranga Emperor

ITALY AND THE UK

FILCAO Roxi | FILCAO Atlantica | Italix Churchman's Prescriptor

USA, INK, AND EXPERIMENTS

Bexley Prometheus | Route 54 Motor Oil | Black Swan in Icelandic Minty Bathwater | Robert Oster Aqua | Diamine Emerald Green | Mr. Pen Radiant Blue | Three Oysters Giwa | Flex Nib Modifications | Rollstoppers

A bit of sticky tape on the back of the nib and belly of the feed (ensuring none of the sticky tape leaves residue where ink might flow) allows you to pull off the nib+feed easily. A bit of rubbing alcohol cleans up sticky residue from the nib easily. For the feed, a good soak in water and a bit of elbow grease does the same.

If you have a sticky tape that leaves no gummy residue then you're golden. I use medical cloth backed tape. It's as sticky as anything else I've ever tried, but leaves gummy residue.