Wing Sung 3008

Nyanzilla

Is anyone facing issues with the screw used to secure the finial? Mine is progressively rusting. I noticed a small brown spot two weeks ago but ignored it, now it looks horrible. Any solutions?

I believe a few other pens have similar screws on the inside, has anyone faced similar issues?

My ink is pilot blue (Namiki blue, not iroshizuku) and I don't believe I spilled any in the cap, and even if I might have, I don't think it's that corrosive.post-134519-0-28582900-1509874390_thumb.jpg

Edited by NPatil

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bob_hayden

• IndigoBOB

• Nyanzilla

• JonSzanto

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I received a 4-pack a couple of days ago. If only judging by the price point, it is somewhat remarkable to have a piston-filling pen that writes quite nicely from the beginning. I have doubts about the longevity of the pen due to certain corners being cut on materials, but it is still a very good pen for the price.

I do take exception when it comes to the nib. 3 of the 4 were perfectly smooth from the start, if a bit wet. The last was a tad scratchy and also a bit wet. I pulled the nib to align the tines and I couldn't believe how soft the steel of the nib was. it took almost no effort to bend the tines up and down, and there was literally *no* memory in the metal. It simply stayed exactly where I bent it. Being that these were pens to check out for n00b users, I then put just a bit of downward pressure, as you often see a new user find out if "this pen can flex". It took almost no effort to 'spring' the nib and splay the tines outward.

I don't think these nibs are going to last.

I've heard of Hero nibs that fit this pen, but I have no idea if they are a step upward in materials and quality. I realize a Lamy would be a better nib, but it would also turn this into a $15-20 pen, which was not my intention when looking for beginner pens to give away.

It comes close. If I felt better about the quality of the components, I might buy a bunch of them. I'm going to see how these hold up first.

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

I'll replace the screws at some point.

Mine is just beginning to show slight rust spots. Let us know how it goes.

I received a 4-pack a couple of days ago. If only judging by the price point, it is somewhat remarkable to have a piston-filling pen that writes quite nicely from the beginning. I have doubts about the longevity of the pen due to certain corners being cut on materials, but it is still a very good pen for the price.

I do take exception when it comes to the nib. 3 of the 4 were perfectly smooth from the start, if a bit wet. The last was a tad scratchy and also a bit wet. I pulled the nib to align the tines and I couldn't believe how soft the steel of the nib was. it took almost no effort to bend the tines up and down, and there was literally *no* memory in the metal. It simply stayed exactly where I bent it. Being that these were pens to check out for n00b users, I then put just a bit of downward pressure, as you often see a new user find out if "this pen can flex". It took almost no effort to 'spring' the nib and splay the tines outward.

I've heard of Hero nibs that fit this pen, but I have no idea if they are a step upward in materials and quality. I realize a Lamy would be a better nib, but it would also turn this into a $15-20 pen, which was not my intention when looking for beginner pens to give away.

It comes close. If I felt better about the quality of the components, I might buy a bunch of them. I'm going to see how these hold up first.

I purchased replacement nibs for the Lamy Safari a while back from this listing:

https://www.amazon.com/Lamy-Refills-Replacement-Medium-Accessory/dp/B004DK5LU2/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1510044766&sr=8-4&keywords=lamy+nib+refill

I thought it came with 1, but it came with 5 nibs. I don't know if it is the same now, but you can always ask. Could have been a fluke or sometimes the product change sellers.

Edited by IndigoBOB

JonSzanto,

That's the worry I have about WSE nibs; for what it's worth Victo's F nib has a fair bit of spring in it but WSE ones don't.

The worst nibs with this defect I have encountered are those on Pentons, but the best I have encountered are by Hero; it might be worth a shot by getting a Hero 359 as a toe in the water.

No, I am not going to list my pens here.

I have had a 3008 inked for a couple weeks and see no sign of rust on that screw. To me, though, it looks like galvanized steel. I wonder if that was a change to deal with the rusting problem? Or maybe they are all galvanized but very poorly;-) I think they should be stainless steel. Are they a standard size that you could get at a hardware store? Alternatively, for a cheap pen, it could be plastic if all it does is hold on a trim part.

I checked mine, and found no rust on the screw. Maybe they changed the material or it could be a problem of moisture.

Edited by Nyanzilla

"On the internet nobody knows you're a cat." =^.^=

I received the two I was waiting for and like them. One F and one EF. I think I will be happy with them assuming that don't start drying up quickly.

I recently got another set of 3008s with silver trims now. 3 of 4 have a normal piston mechanic, one has got the click-type.

"On the internet nobody knows you're a cat." =^.^=

• 2 weeks later...

I recently ordered from Ebay sellers that marketed a 2018 version. 2 (green and grey) out of the 3 have the click-lock mechanism on the piston and I like it much better for having that. The knob still is a little loose and doesn't hold itself securely like the 698, but it does give the added feeling of security and my overall liking of the pen.

I personally and ethically prefer to buy the real deal (TWSBI 580) over the knock-offs, but from the perspective of someone who may not be able to afford a fountain pen or be able to try a nicer one I really like this option. Someone who doesn't have the money can try this out and get excited about fountain pens, which is more than I can say about a lot of the lower priced options out there.

The selection out there from non chinese companies is pretty poor and very slim. It's nice to order a 3008 for $3 knowing I'm getting a well functioning pen. When you have the money it's easy to scoff at knock offs, but for someone who doesn't this option can get them excited about writing, exploring what writing offers, and I like that.

I have 1 TWSBI Eco, a TWSBI Eco-T on they way, and thanks to this pen I would like to try the 580 as well later on. I can't compare these pens to TWSBI's that use Jowo nibs which provide a much better writing experience IMO, and a have a sturdier feel, but the writing experience of the 3008 is satisfactory and makes other users happy to use fountain pens from my experience.

• 2 weeks later...

Gr8 review!!

Btw can u replace the stock nib of the wing sung 3008 with a lamy Safari nib?

Edited by edmondElliot

Gr8 review!!

Yes, I'm using a Lamy 1.1 on mine right now.

We Are Our Ancestors’ Wildest Dreams

Gr8 review!!

Yes you can. I had some flow issues with my stock Wing Sung 3008 fine nib (it skips every so often, not sure if it's an ink starvation issue or flow issue), so I switched to a Lamy Z50 fine nib. Works fine, but the Lamy nib sits somewhat loosely on the Wing Sung 3008 feed, so much so that I can probably remove it just using my fingers. Also, the stock Wing Sung nib writes a finer line than the Lamy nib (almost all of the Lamy F nibs I have write more akin to a medium).

I have 8 3008s, of which 3 are inked (for a couple of months now). Of those, 2 have rust. There appear to be 2 types of screw - one a plain cross head, the other a cross head with a slot that extends across the width (so you could use either a flat blade or a cross head screwdriver). Those are the ones with rust. I do have another one un-inked with that type of screw, but it is clean so far.

Having had it pointed out, I now can't stop seeing it, so I'll have to get some stainless screws to replace them. 3 of the 3008s have coloured (non see-through) caps but those have the plain cross head screws so maybe they'll be ok.

I'm using right now one of the 3008s with a Lamy 1.1 nib and I love it! The nibs as shipped on the 3008 do seem to have heavy flow (on the 2 others I have inked), actually making much wider lines for example than the Lamy Aion with EF nib (which differ slightly to the Z50 type nib) and even a Safari fine (to my recollection, not having one inked at present: one of the reasons I went with an EF for the Aion was because I thought the Z50 Fs I had were always a little bit too wide). One of those 2 others had far too much flow and caused bad feathering, slightly improved by pressing the nib onto the feed, so I'll probably replace that with a Z50 1.1 as well and see how it goes.

I also have 4 698s, one with a replacement Pilot F (italic type from the Pluminix). Of the other 3, 2 are with the WS Fnib and one has WS EF. The Fs also vary in width, one is about the same as the Aion EF and the other finer, like a classic Pilot F. The EF is finer still.

Finally, I also have a clutch of 3003s (I have several Pilot Preras and I love the style), 2 so far inked and they write very fine indeed (marked as EF), about the same as the 698 EF.

By way of comparison, about 3 years ago I bought a TWSBI 580 with 1.1 nib which was much broader than the Lamy's I was used to, so I replaced it with an EF. That certainly writes broader than the 698/3003 EFs and is more akin to an F in my opinion. It is also quite 'vocal' as you write, so I think it needs smoothing which I haven't got round too yet. I also bought an Eco (it's around somewhere but I can't put my hands on it) with an F nib and I enjoyed that better than the 580. I also have a Nemosine 1.1 and that was as good as the Lamys. Last but not least, I have have 3 Caliarts Egos which have great F nibs.

Anyway, with the WingSungs the fact that you can swap and change the nib to a 'branded' one greatly increases their appeal. The WS 3008 with Lamy 1.1 certainly suited me much better than the TWSBI 580 with its 1.1.

Edited by garyc

• 2 weeks later...

My WS 3008s arrived a couple of days ago. I've tried replacing the nibs of 2 out of 3 out of curiosity, the Z50 nibs wiggle waaay less than they do on the Lanbitou 3059, I might go as far as saying that they don't wiggle at all. I think I felt something for a few seconds, but now I don't. Must have been the ink settling.

Anyway, 1 pen out of 3 has the click lock mechanism, and they all arrived with the piston slathered with silicone grease.

I like the stock nib, but with the Z50 nibs, guys, these pens are really good.

fpn_1502425191__letter-mini.png

The wiggly piston cap doesn’t really bother me. The open question is what the longevity will be. The curious thing is that it is a question for me because the pen is so similar th the TWSBI.

To hold a pen is to be at war. - Voltaire