The Very Best Nib In An Inexpensive Fountain Pen Body

rogerbikeswim

Hello, I'm fairly new to the world of fountain pens. I've picked up about 10 now, and I keep buying more and enjoying tinkering with them.

I have purchased high priced pens for my g/f (high-priced for me), like the vanishing point and the Lamy 2000. For myself, though, I can not imagine spending that amount on a pen. Up to this point, I have been doing the frankenpen thing with Jinhao pens and Anderson / Edison / Goulet nibs. I went to the Dallas Pen Show, and I purchased a Franklin-Christoph nib assembly. I had to remove the nib and feed from the F-C section / collar. However, even as just the nib and the mismatched feed it is amazing.

I would love to find an inexpensive pen body that will accept the Franklin-Christoph nib assembly. It's my understanding, that it is a common size; a jowo #6 screw-in unit. So far, the most humbly priced pen body I have found has been the MrPen's Parson's Essential at about $45, plus another $15 for shipping.

Any help finding an inexpensive pen body that will take the entire screw-in jowo / Franklin-Christoph nib assembly would be appreciated. I apoligize in advance if I used any incorrect terminology.

Thanks!

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• rogerbikeswim

• lurcho

• Jamerelbe

• austinwft

Esterbrook J pen with Pelikan M4xx nib.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

Pilot Custom 74 with soft fine 14k nib from Japanese sellers on ebay. Got mine for $80 USD.

I bought a couple pens fromseller Cool Japan if you want a recommendation. There are others.

Edited by max dog

If you like the Jinhao pens, their nib assemblies are glued in - it doesn't take too much effort (so I'm told) to remove it, and glue in a JoWo/ Franklin-Christoph assembly. Or you could talk to ASA Pens in India about getting an ASA Maya pen body only, tooled to accept a JoWo screw-in assembly. They were very happy to accept accommodate me when I contacted them with this request.

I think you're asking about pens that take your F-C nib?

Not sure about cheap pens that will take the whole nib + unit, but if you don't mind just using the nib you could contact Kevin at Fountain Pen Revolution and check which of his pens take that size nib. They are based in the US.

https://fprevolutionusa.com/pages/contact-us

As an aside I've got a couple of his Himalaya pens with their (5.5) "flex" nib. A low priced pen that punches above its weight. It's not really a proper flex nib but is a lot of fun to use.

Edited by migo984

Verba volant, scripta manent

I think you're asking about pens that take your F-C nib?

Not sure about cheap pens that will take the whole nib + unit, but if you don't mind just using the nib you could contact Kevin at Fountain Pen Revolution and check which of his pens take that size nib. They are based in the US.

https://fprevolutionusa.com/pages/contact-us

As an aside I've got a couple of his Himalaya pens with their (5.5) "flex" nib. A low priced pen that punches above its weight. It's not really a proper flex nib but is a lot of fun to use.

Thank you, migo984. I am specifically looking for pens that take the F-C screw-in nib assembly. I should have been more clear.

I reached out to Fountain Pen Revolution. I'll let you know when I hear back. Thanks.

Might try a Ranga. I have a Ranga Model 03 that I have fitted with a FC Medium Stub. I know Peyton Street Pens sells them - select the nib option without the nib or converter. Once in a while on the Pay it Forward section at PFN here they have group buys for them where you can just buy the pen threaded for Jowo without the nib/converter. They might also have a eBay page. I suspect the Parson's Essential will be cheaper, but a hand crafted ebonite pen is a different beast from the enemeled pens from Mr. Pens.

Edited by Mister5

Inked: Aurora Optima EF (Pelikan Tanzanite); Franklin Christoph Pocket 20 Needlepoint (Sailor Kiwa Guro); Sheaffers PFM I Reporter/Fine (Diamine Oxblood); Franklin Christoph 02 Medium Stub (Aurora Black); Platinum Plaisir Gunmetal EF (Platinum Brown); Platinum Preppy M (Platinum Blue-Black). Leaded: Palomino Blackwing 602; Lamy Scribble 0.7 (Pentel Ain Stein 2B); Uni Kuru Toga Roulette 0.5 (Uni Kuru Toga HB); Parker 51 Plum 0.9 (Pilot Neox HB)

Might try a Ranga. I have a Ranga Model 03 that I have fitted with a FC Medium Stub. I know Peyton Street Pens sells them - select the nib option without the nib or converter. Once in a while on the Pay it Forward section at PFN here they have group buys for them where you can just buy the pen threaded for Jowo without the nib/converter. They might also have a eBay page. I suspect the Parson's Essential will be cheaper, but a hand crafted ebonite pen is a different beast from the enemeled pens from Mr. Pens.

I second looking at Peyton Street Pens for one of there handmade Indian ebonite pen offerings which can be purchased without a nib and accept the JoWo #6 nib units. I purchased the PSP Capitola as a home for a complete F-C Medium S.I.G. nib assembly and am very happy with it and find it to be a great value.

http://www.peytonstreetpens.com/zayante-pens/psp-capitola-fountain-pen-ebonite-jowo-nibs-cartridge-converter.html

Under the Nib Choice menu the No Nib option shows the amount deducted from the pen for that option.

Edited by austinwft

I'm pretty sure FPR don't currently sell pens that will accommodate a JoWo nib unit: their Darjeeling has a screw-in assembly, but I just checked and the threading is different - I can't fit my JoWo nib assembly into the pen. They also sell Guider pens that take a Schmidt assembly - but this, again, is a different design.

The ASA Maya is quite a good pen - I ordered mine in Teal ebonite, but it's currently only offered in black (http://asapens.in/eshop/asa-maya-beautiful-matt-black-ebonite-fountain-pen-india-online?search=maya). When I asked about ordering a pen body that could take a JoWo screw-in assembly, they charged me the price for an Eyedropper fill (i.e. US$20, including shipping I think?). That's the best deal I've come across - a comparable pen from Ranga will cost you at least double that (though I'm very happy with my Rangas too!). It's worth dropping them a line, to see whether their price structure is the same or not.

I'm pretty sure FPR don't currently sell pens that will accommodate a JoWo nib unit: their Darjeeling has a screw-in assembly, but I just checked and the threading is different - I can't fit my JoWo nib assembly into the pen. They also sell Guider pens that take a Schmidt assembly - but this, again, is a different design.

The ASA Maya is quite a good pen - I ordered mine in Teal ebonite, but it's currently only offered in black (http://asapens.in/eshop/asa-maya-beautiful-matt-black-ebonite-fountain-pen-india-online?search=maya). When I asked about ordering a pen body that could take a JoWo screw-in assembly, they charged me the price for an Eyedropper fill (i.e. US$20, including shipping I think?). That's the best deal I've come across - a comparable pen from Ranga will cost you at least double that (though I'm very happy with my Rangas too!). It's worth dropping them a line, to see whether their price structure is the same or not.

Jamerelbe - Thank you for the advice. I have emailed ASA Pens to ask about the ASA Maya or similar pens that will take the JoWo nib unit. Thank you for your suggestion.

I second looking at Peyton Street Pens for one of there handmade Indian ebonite pen offerings which can be purchased without a nib and accept the JoWo #6 nib units. I purchased the PSP Capitola as a home for a complete F-C Medium S.I.G. nib assembly and am very happy with it and find it to be a great value.

http://www.peytonstreetpens.com/zayante-pens/psp-capitola-fountain-pen-ebonite-jowo-nibs-cartridge-converter.html

Under the Nib Choice menu the No Nib option shows the amount deducted from the pen for that option.

austinwft and Mister5, thank you for suggesting Peyton Street Pens. The PSP Capitola looks like a fantastic pen body. And for at only $40 shipped, it looks like an incredible deal. Thank you for the advice!

Another vote for Peyton Street Pens. I believe they already have what you are looking for, and they are excellent at answering questions and figuring out how to meet your needs.

ron

Another vote for Peyton Street Pens. I believe they already have what you are looking for, and they are excellent at answering questions and figuring out how to meet your needs.

ron

Thanks, rwilsonedn. I haven't heard back from ASA Pens, yet. But, I'm leaning toward PSP!

I'm not sure you need the whole assembly. The FC nib comes right out, and goes into any #6 pen.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

Hello, Roger.

It looks to me from photographs, though I could be wrong, that Franklin-Christoph uses the standard feed that's supplied with JoWo nibs when you buy them as standard unbranded items.

I buy nib units - nib, feed, and housing - and glue the housing into Jinhao 750 and 159 bodies. They work great.

I know this isn't what you're after, and I'd be very interested myself to find cheap bodies to screw these nib units in and out of.

Here's the thread about replacing the housing:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/316312-how-i-replaced-a-jinhao-x750-feed-housing-with-a-jowo-housing/

I'd love to hear of proper answers to your question!

Hello, Roger.

It looks to me from photographs, though I could be wrong, that Franklin-Christoph uses the standard feed that's supplied with JoWo nibs when you buy them as standard unbranded items.

I buy nib units - nib, feed, and housing - and glue the housing into Jinhao 750 and 159 bodies. They work great.

I know this isn't what you're after, and I'd be very interested myself to find cheap bodies to screw these nib units in and out of.

Here's the thread about replacing the housing:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/316312-how-i-replaced-a-jinhao-x750-feed-housing-with-a-jowo-housing/

I'd love to hear of proper answers to your question!

Ah. Just realised that it was you who asked me a question on that very thread. I never remember names. Mind like a sieve.

I'm not sure you need the whole assembly. The FC nib comes right out, and goes into any #6 pen.

You're definitely correct. The nib and need come out easily. However, since I'm still new and figuring things out, I don't have any way of gauging how important one a cheepo feed is vs. The one that it came with. And although I've had no trouble moving the big to several #6's, the big And feed will not fit.

Thanks for the comment.

You're definitely correct. The nib and need come out easily. However, since I'm still new and figuring things out, I don't have any way of gauging how important one a cheepo feed is vs. The one that it came with. And although I've had no trouble moving the big to several #6's, the big And feed will not fit.

Thanks for the comment.

As long as the pen writes reliably when you insert the nib having a matched feed will make little, if any, difference.

I would suggest a middle priced 200 for a life time pen. There are some very pretty ones. Then you can buy different nib widths for @ $30.

IMO, the 200's nib is one of the best made today....in it is vintage/semi-vintage narrow, it is a springy regular flex nib with a good ride.

I became very impressed with the 200's regular flex nib....'coming' from semi-flex, found it more and more a nice nib.In I had a slew of 400's didn't need a 200, so bought a 215 with the brass lined barrle, as a bit different from a 200.

I have in Pelikan semi-vintage '90's M400, 381 and a Celebry in 14 K nibs, a Celebry with a steel nib, a 215 and a Amethyst 200 also in steel. They are all = and good, be it gold or steel.

My W.Germany 200, has that slightly a tad, springier nib, the W. Germany Pelikan nibs are famous for...................if one nit picks, that W. Germany steel nib is better.

A regular flex nib is a bit dryer than semi-flex and will be a bit drier than fat and modern. That is great if you like shading ink. I like both M and F in regular flex. M is a good nib.........I picked up that prejudice here on the com too.....I was wrong as I later found out.

If you want as many 'noobies' do, butter smooth at any and all costs....you'd have to go to the fat and blobby 400/600 semi-nails...............rather boring in the long run. Nails and semi-nails tend to be if from a name company, butter smooth, in they don't have the give to make a good ride. A medium priced Waterman would have @ the same nib as a more expensive one.....a nail. The tipping would be the same.

I think looking for a cheap pen and a good nib set is the wrong way to go.....and I'd think 16 times about some cheap Knox nibs.

What to you want the nib to do?

The newer one is the less one would know.

Butter smooth nail/semi-nail. To be found everywhere in the companies don't have to repair so many nibs from Ham Fisted Ball Point Barbarians.

Good and smooth with good ride, regular flex.....and many older US makes were in this standard flex. Could be only the Pelikan 200 is that flex any more. Is a very good nib for shading inks.

Modern fat and blobby nibs are of course wetter, so would be lesser nibs if good shading is desired. Along with 90g or + laser paper, needed for shading inks.

German Semi-flex....for someone with 4-5 pens. Is stubbish and has good line variation. Semi-flex Oblique even more. Is a tad wet, due to ease of tine spread so has to be well matched with ink and paper to shade. German in they stubbed their semi-flex.

'40's Eversharp, some '50's Sheaffer and some English Swan pens can be found in semi-flex. I don't think they are stubs.

Stub semi-flex gives very good line variation.

Do not waste any money on any Oblique that is not German Semi-flex, in the line variation is too little....has to be hunted for. German semi-flex obliques are :puddle:. My first semi-flex was a Pelikan 140 OB, and I couldn't have lucked out any better. :happyberet: The sweet spot was wide enough I didn't need to be so precise as with an OM or OF. It was sturdy enough, that it easily survived me....who was still Ham Fisted after a couple of years back to fountain pens. It helped lighten my hand, in it showed how hard I was pressing.

In Vintage and Semi-vintage B/OB is a writing nib......not a signature nib of modern fat nibs. More a fat M in today's widths. In semi-flex there is line variation from your normal writing pressures.

Pen's are like pistachios, can't eat just one. Can't cheap out either in the long run.

I spent a year of so wasting some of the money chasing $15-20-30 old cheap pens. Pen of the Week or Month in the mail Club. :headsmack: :wallbash:

Then slowly my border moved up to $50, and I got better pens. :drool: At $70 occasionally, I got fancy pens. :puddle: I am now willing to spend $150 every six months on an old used pen. After a while one's collection become adequate as is, in one has much of what one wishes to collect. By me it's Pelikan, Geha and Osmia.

The prices I pay are less than half what good used pens cost in the States. So I can see why one would think buy a cheap body and put a medium valued nib on it.

You need to buy used. There are many vintage Parker, Esterbrook or Sheaffer pens that can be had at an affordable price.

For a nice used 200 and any semi-flex pen, look in German Ebay.....be aware the seller has to take paypal, or it will cost you $35 bank wire fee. We use bank wires over here instead of checks and inside the EU it is cheap. Second he will ship to the US? Some won't ship out of Germany, others refuse for political grounds to ship to today's USA. Someone told me that happen to him when trying to buy a pen from Portugal.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Thanks for the comment.

If you get a pen with an ebonite feed, you can easily adjust the feed to fit the nib. Noodler's, Gama, & ASA all are inexpensive pens with ebonite feeds; I think Ranga does ebonite too.

Here's my Gama Sneaky (top) and ASA Nauka (bottom).