Top Posters In This Topic

• Calabria

• Waltz For Zizi

• BillH

• oregano

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

Early days yet, but I think this will prove to be one of my favorite birds. I wish it were a little more ivory than it is, but there is something so cool about seeing the color of the ink (4001 Königsblau to start with) between the white striations. :D

"In times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

~ George Orwell

I wish that the piston would retract further allowing a larger fill. Does it drive anyone else nuts that you can only fill half the pen?? All that wasted space for ink :(

I wish that the piston would retract further allowing a larger fill. Does it drive anyone else nuts that you can only fill half the pen?? All that wasted space for ink :(

I often get bored with the same color before the pen is empty, so for me, no. I do not have colors dedicated to one pen, so I find them just right.

"Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working." -Pablo Picasso

Conid has solved this problem, but Im confident the design is patented. I dont really see a workaround [for piston fillers] unless they implement a telescopic rod.

Edited by invisuu

Compared with converters, it's generous. I kind of like peering into the pen and seeing the ink on one side, and the mechanism on the other.

"If you can spend a perfectly useless afternoon in a perfectly useless manner, you have learned how to live."

– Lin Yu-T'ang

Certainly it looks very beautiful. However I wonder if filled with ink, the barrel may not seem to be a nice one, lol.

I used to think the same way, but honestly you still get a load of ink. Like double the amount of a converter (or more). And I'm one of those that gets bored of ink colors, and on the off-chance I do need a ton of ink, there's always my Pilot Custom 823.

• 4 weeks later...

New M605 _DSC5918.JPG

Those are the two pens I have inked up now, too!

"If you can spend a perfectly useless afternoon in a perfectly useless manner, you have learned how to live."

– Lin Yu-T'ang

• 3 weeks later...

I'm loving my White Transparent.

A note on inks: my first inking was Akkerman Hofkwartier Groen. It left a faint stain on the tip of the piston that could only be seen when looking straight into the barrel. It also left a stain on the screw area inside the barrel. Neither stain could be seen at all from the outside of the pen.

The second ink was Waterman Inspired Blue. There is no stain at all on the tip of the piston now. There is only a little of the green stain left on the screw area inside the barrel. This is completely invisible from the outside of the pen. No worries.

The grip and the area around where the nib inserts looks exactly like new.

I'm delighted! it's a great pen. I don't have anything else that's like it.

Does anyone else have any ink experiences with their White Transparent?

Edited by Green Ink

• 2 years later...

Hello all, I've recently acquired a new M605 White Transparent with a bold nib. I was somewhat surprised to find one for sale really!

It is as yet uninked, as I am waiting for a particular event before doing so, but I was wondering if any current owners wished to share any advice regarding ink choice? Especially as many of you have probably owned yours for much longer than me.

Is there anything I should watch out for with regards to staining? My experience with demonstrator pens (inc a M805 demo) is that often it's the silicon grease that ends up being coloured rather than the acrylic, but I've never used a white celluloid pen before.

Generally speaking I like to use Sailor or Pilot inks, and often like them quite saturated, though I usually only fill enough to last a week or two as I like to change pens and inks frequently.

I find the M605 White Transparent, from a staining standpoint, no different from most other Pelikan demonstrators. I you are familiar with the M20x demonstrators, you may be familiar with the tendency of ink to collect in the small assembly gap between the section and the barrel. This gap is very difficult to clean completely, and is ignored by some. I find I can clean it with a syringe placed on the lip of the assembly between the section and the body (with the nib removed), but it requires multiple flushes while moving the syringe around the lip of the barrel assembly inside the section to get every bit of ink out.

I have never had a staining issue in transparent or white Pelikan pens with Pelikan, Diamine or Pilot Iroshizuku inks, but my color experience is limited (blues, blacks, greens, and reds).

The M605 White Transparent has a similar construction to the M20x Demonstrators and is similarly difficult to clean completely. It can be cleaned, but the process can be tedious.

The dealer who sold me the pen additionally recommended flushing the pen every few weeks to resist staining. I do not know how necessary that really is. Others may have more experience with specific inks. I follow my normal fill rotation (which leaves the pen inked for about two months), usually with Edelstein Topaz, Tanzanite, or Ruby, and I flush the pen thoroughly when it is empty, which requires an above average amount of time to get every last bit of ink out from between the barrrel under molding and the section.

Edit: on a personal note, I have never trusted most red inks, and as such, I have never left a red ink in a transparent pen for more than a couple of weeks. Other folks experience with reds would be interesting to me.

Edited by N1003U

Thank you for the detailed response.

I you are familiar with the M20x demonstrators, you may be familiar with the tendency of ink to collect in the small assembly gap between the section and the barrel. This gap is very difficult to clean completely, and is ignored by some. I find I can clean it with a syringe placed on the lip of the assembly between the section and the body (with the nib removed), but it requires multiple flushes while moving the syringe around the lip of the barrel assembly inside the section to get every bit of ink out.

I've had a lot of success cleaning that part of my M805 demo by removing the nib then dipping the section (filled with water) into a ultrasonic cleaner for 20 seconds or so.

Given that's it's pretty unusual for me to have a pen inked for longer than a month, I think I'll just take things as they come. A little bit of wabi sabi on personal possessions is to be appreciated, just so long as it takes a few years to accumulate.