New Pelikan Special Edition Souverän 605 White-Transparent

Iguana Sell

If I remember correctly, there were maybe 1-2 people having remarks on the packaging being sexist, others did not really care. I have a feeling it was blown out of proportion by a vocal minority, as these things usually go.

Perhaps. But if the packaging had looked like a jock strap I think there would have been a HUGE outcry.

What's the old saying? "What's good for the goose is good for the gander."

Just something to think about....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Calabria

• Waltz For Zizi

• BillH

• oregano

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

^ I do agree. Honestly, it's a pen. There's no actual need to make it gender-specific.

There have been tons of conversations around here about how a lot of men avoid inks like Yama-budo etc not because they don't like them but because they are supposed to be inappropriate for a man. And most of us seemed to agree that this indeed is a stupid convention. But packaging a pen in a box that mimics lingerie is ok and those who make a remark about it are being over-dramatic?

The pen looks next to gorgeous (I would prefer a creamier color) and at the end of the day I would probably still buy it if I could afford it, but that doesn't change the fact that this is inherently wrong. Pelikan's design team did a great job. Their marketing department, though, should reconsider their approach.

^ I do agree. Honestly, it's a pen. There's no actual need to make it gender-specific.

There have been tons of conversations around here about how a lot of men avoid inks like Yama-budo etc not because they don't like them but because they are supposed to be inappropriate for a man. And most of us seemed to agree that this indeed is a stupid convention. But packaging a pen in a box that mimics lingerie is ok and those who make a remark about it are being over-dramatic?

The pen looks next to gorgeous (I would prefer a creamier color) and at the end of the day I would probably still buy it if I could afford it, but that doesn't change the fact that this is inherently wrong. Pelikan's design team did a great job. Their marketing department, though, should reconsider their approach.

Hear, hear!

My pen came last night and it's gorgeous. It looks ivory against white paper and looks warmer against warm-colored surfaces. The nib's lovely, and the size is just right for me.

I inked it up with J Herbin Cacao du Bresil. Of course, it's very easy to see your ink level, adding to the fun of the pen without detracting from its looks.

I didn't go for the pink one last year, so I'm glad I could get the White Ghost this year.

It's black Friday here and I found the pink pelikan selling for 260$, so tempted to get one, but I already have one bought for 290$ :( Don't know what to do. But even so I already ordered an M400 white tortoise for 200$, one of my grail pens, hihi.

I think they ship worldwide, not sure because their website doesn't have an option to change the language in english, but when choosing the shipping I have the option of changing the country. Weird. If anyone is interested I can ask them and maybe help you with the translation, but I don't buy and send, only if they ship it. So let me know.

P.s. they have other models too, not many though. I was hoping they'd have a graf von faber castell intuition reduced, but no luck :(

Perhaps. But if the packaging had looked like a jock strap I think there would have been a HUGE outcry.

I did not say the packaging is great or anything close to that. You're just putting words in my mouth now.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pareto_principle

Would I buy the pen if I loved it and it was packaged in a "jock strap"? Yes, probably. But I understand some value packaging more than I do. Keep in mind this is a forum; a place to share (also) subjective, personal opinions.

And most of us seemed to agree that this indeed is a stupid convention. But packaging a pen in a box that mimics lingerie is ok and those who make a remark about it are being over-dramatic?

I also did not say that. I said that there was a very vocal tiny minority pointing it out and rest did not really care or had rather indulged in conversing about the pen instead. See link above.

I don't even like the packaging, but then again I also don't care as much as I don't buy a pen for its' packaging.

If you will be putting words in my mouth, I will simply stop to reply, otherwise this is pointless.

Edited by invisuu

I don't think anyone put any words in your mouth. You talked about vocal minorities blowing things out of proportion and someone else also mentioned people exaggerating over nothing for being bored.

In any case, I made a general comment about double standards.

It wasn't targeted specifically at you; I didn't even quote you. Why are you being offended?

[,,,] but that doesn't change the fact that this is inherently wrong. Pelikan's design team did a great job. Their marketing department, though, should reconsider their approach.

Judging from your last post, we seem to agree on that. So, let's end it here.
Edited by inotrym

I went back to the M600 Pink thread and see it was just 1 person complaining about packaging and that was the same person doing so here. Everyone else was celebrating with OP on her new acquisition.

That is, by the very definition, a vocal minority. 1 person out of 20 or so that commented there.

Hmmm. Looking at the box and it's got the same sort of ribbon threading as on the pink 600. And nobody has said word one about it yet? Whereas there was lots of ranting over the box for the pink one and whether it was sexy or sexist....

So yet again, another thread where even in quote "nobody said a word about it yet". And there was certainly not "a lot of ranting" in previous thread, as it was only that same person in quote doing it there as well.

If this is such a passionate topic to the user in question and nobody else, perhaps it would make more sense to contact Pelikan about it rather than us. At the end of the day, we can't do anything about it anyway.

Or, come to terms with not being the targeted demographic for this specific product and let people who are enjoy and celebrate their new acquisitions without raining on their parade.

P.S.: I'm not offended, I'm discussing.

This is turning into a personal fight with inkstainedtruth and I am not interested in being involved.

There was a comment about the packaging/marketing being distasteful and sexist and I agreed with that.

I don't know if inkstainedtruth is going from thread to thread ranting about it and I honestly don't care.

I don't like the packaging. She doesn't like the packaging, You don't like the packaging. Some other people also don't like packaging. Some people have no opinion about the packaging. And I bet there must be some people around who actually like the packaging.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Being a minority (or not, who knows? FPN is not the only place where pens are being discussed) is not a reason for being expected to keep your thoughts to yourself.

I went back to the M600 Pink thread and see it was just 1 person complaining about packaging and that was the same person doing so here. Everyone else was celebrating with OP on her new acquisition.

That is, by the very definition, a vocal minority. 1 person out of 20 or so that commented there.

So yet again, another thread where even in quote "nobody said a word about it yet". And there was certainly not "a lot of ranting" in previous thread, as it was only that same person in quote doing it there as well.

If this is such a passionate topic to the user in question and nobody else, perhaps it would make more sense to contact Pelikan about it rather than us. At the end of the day, we can't do anything about it anyway.

Or, come to terms with not being the targeted demographic for this specific product and let people who are enjoy and celebrate their new acquisitions without raining on their parade.

P.S.: I'm not offended, I'm discussing.

I thought this thread was about a pen and not packaging. Perhaps some people should "get a life" :D .

Peter

I'm giving away my age a bit here - but I still have this album (I've got the one with the real zipper) in my collection in a crate somewhere:

https://nypost.com/2015/06/06/so-about-that-rolling-stones-cover-whose-crotch-is-it-anyway/

Those were the days!!

Back to pens ... I want this but can't justify spending the money. Where is it available for $260 ??

"If you can spend a perfectly useless afternoon in a perfectly useless manner, you have learned how to live."

– Lin Yu-T'ang

Back to pens ... I want this but can't justify spending the money. Where is it available for $260 ??

The site is not in english though, and I've asked them if they ship worldwide, but they don't yet. They said they are working on it and maybe in the future. I can send you the link if you want, but I don't know if you will understand, and it's useless anyway. I've made the conversion, because the prices are in my country's currency, and also in €.

Dear Waltz For Zizi,

Kindly share the link and I will let Mr. Google translate so I can at least see what I can make of it. Perhaps I can ask them to work with me. Who knows, it doesn't hurt to ask.

Best,

Ed

The site is not in english though, and I've asked them if they ship worldwide, but they don't yet. They said they are working on it and maybe in the future. I can send you the link if you want, but I don't know if you will understand, and it's useless anyway. I've made the conversion, because the prices are in my country's currency, and also in .

Didn't you also order the pen for $290? That would be within my range (for no real reason I've set $300 as the upper limit for this pen).

"If you can spend a perfectly useless afternoon in a perfectly useless manner, you have learned how to live."

– Lin Yu-T'ang

My copy of the M605 White ion White arrived from Dan Smith a couple of days ago. Dan turned the broad nib into a very nice cursive italic. I wasn't initially knocked out by the pen's looks like I was with the white tortoise but it is growing on me a lot. There is a pearlescent quality to the white stripes that really comes out under artificial light. My first fill was with Iroshizuku Kon Peki but I'm not convinced that this is the right color to bring out the beauty of the pen. Any ink color suggestions??

We Are Our Ancestors’ Wildest Dreams

I would go for a brown or an amber color. Or maybe a gray. Or even a dark blue or a blue black.

Something muted, for sure.

How transparent is it? Is the piston inside too visible?

How transparent is it? Is the piston inside too visible?

The spaces between the white lines that decorate the barrel are clear. You can definitely see where the ink level ends and the piston begins and you can also see the piston shaft. The entire piston mechanism is white so it doesn't immediately jump out at you but it sure looks different than where the ink is.

We Are Our Ancestors’ Wildest Dreams