New Pelikan Special Edition Souverän 605 White-Transparent

Iguana Sell

Oh, someone at my pen club meeting this evening was asking if anyone had seen these yet.

That's really pretty. But I said that about the pink one, and it turned out to be a bit too heavy a pen for me when I saw one a couple of years ago at a pen show.

Of course I also said (when the M800 Stresemanns came out) that if they did that grey color in an M400 size I'd be lining up for one (and probably contemplating a life of crime in order to pay for one....

(Pelikan -- are you listening?")

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Calabria

• Waltz For Zizi

• BillH

• oregano

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The "rumour" image, I admit, had me rather sad that this would be beyond what I was willing to pay. This image, and more specifically that particular tone of off-white, really doesn't. Be interesting to see what it actually looks like when it's released, but at the moment I'm thrilled that I don't like it at all. :lol:

Oh, someone at my pen club meeting this evening was asking if anyone had seen these yet.

That's really pretty. But I said that about the pink one, and it turned out to be a bit too heavy a pen for me when I saw one a couple of years ago at a pen show.

Of course I also said (when the M800 Stresemanns came out) that if they did that grey color in an M400 size I'd be lining up for one (and probably contemplating a life of crime in order to pay for one....

(Pelikan -- are you listening?")

I think the goulet pen co has the m400 stresemann in the sale section, but only F and M nibs left

I think the goulet pen co has the m400 stresemann in the sale section, but only F and M nibs left

Well, I was able to get an M405 Stresemann last spring (along with a striated Blue M405 with an EF nib), due to special extenuating circumstances that will never happen again. And I didn't even have to rob a bank, as it turned out.... B) (Plus, I saved some money by ordering them from Rolf Thiel at Missing Pens :thumbup:).

Sadly, the extenuating circumstances are over with. And that shopping budget? A third of it went towards those two M405s.... :blush: Worth every dime, though.

I'd have to see (and hold) that new M600 to see if it was too heavy, the way the pink M600 had been for me. Except of course I probably shouldn't pick it up because then I'd want a pen I can't afford.... :wallbash:

ETA: Just looked at the GPC website. Yeah, that's slightly under what I paid -- but I did really want a B nib in the Stresemann. And that was also a case of "strike while the iron is hot" -- I couldn't guarantee that anyone would still have them for sale this late in the game, and was afraid to wait.

Edited by inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I've been pricing the new limited edition m605 White Ghost, and it looks like it's priced lower ($380) than the m600 Souveran pens ($404+). Does anyone else find that odd?

I've been pricing the new limited edition m605 White Ghost, and it looks like it's priced lower ($380) than the m600 Souveran pens ($404+). Does anyone else find that odd?

Odd indeed. Maybe that's an introductory price to entice more early adopters?

The MSRP on the upcoming M605 is $475 meaning that it will sell for around $380 in the US. Contrast that with the M600 Pink from 2015 that had an MSRP of something like $625 and sold for around $500. It's a big difference and a bit unprecedented. I'm not sure if this is a new trend in US pricing or a one off but the current price essentially makes a domestic purchase the same as an overseas purchase. I'm hopeful this reflects a broader change in pricing policy rather than a one off. Only time will tell.

PELIKAN - Too many birds in the flock to count. My pen chest has proven to be a most fertile breeding ground.

fpn_1508261203__fpn_logo_300x150.jpg

THE PELIKAN'S PERCH - A growing reference site for all things Pelikan

[quote name="sargetalon" post="3924194" timestamp="1506299914

I'm hopeful this reflects a broader change in pricing policy rather than a one off. Only time will tell.

I sincerely hope so :)

Though I have others already on my list and will be giving this one a pass, I look forward to seeing videos on it as it seems interesting. I think I remember reading somewhere that a company had released a doctors pen set, in white with matching thermometer? This brings that to mind

👍👍👍👍

In that price range I could easily be tempted, especially if the pen is called (and looks like a) White Ghost! Really?

"If you can spend a perfectly useless afternoon in a perfectly useless manner, you have learned how to live."

– Lin Yu-T'ang

Luckily I don't like the look of this one at all. But props to Pelikan for trying something distinctive! it has opened the door to possibly getting again the M600 Green o' green at some point.

I've never owned or tried a Pelikan, but I'm tempted by this one. I wonder if you Pelikan folk can answer a question for me: I prefer Japanese fine and western extra-fine nibs. But Goulet's Nib Nook tool makes it look like the m600/605 EF nib writes broader than the F nib. Is this normal? Is it just a fluke of the pens he used? Should I follow my usual pattern of getting an EF nib (if I do this), or am I better off with a F nib?

(I know, dangerous buying a pen you've never tried, but I don't know of any options for trying a Pelikan M605, so I'll just take that into account.)

I've never owned or tried a Pelikan, but I'm tempted by this one. I wonder if you Pelikan folk can answer a question for me: I prefer Japanese fine and western extra-fine nibs. But Goulet's Nib Nook tool makes it look like the m600/605 EF nib writes broader than the F nib. Is this normal? Is it just a fluke of the pens he used? Should I follow my usual pattern of getting an EF nib (if I do this), or am I better off with a F nib?

(I know, dangerous buying a pen you've never tried, but I don't know of any options for trying a Pelikan M605, so I'll just take that into account.)

There is an inherent variation amongst the nibs but based on what you describe, if I were you, I'd go with the EF.

PELIKAN - Too many birds in the flock to count. My pen chest has proven to be a most fertile breeding ground.

fpn_1508261203__fpn_logo_300x150.jpg

THE PELIKAN'S PERCH - A growing reference site for all things Pelikan

I agree. My Pelikans with EF nibs compare very well to the Japanese pens I own with F nibs.

"Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working." -Pablo Picasso

Liz - definitively an EF if you make the decision...

Just for comparison, my 600 F has the line width like Platinum M, with a bit less of feedback.

And M600 is one very comfortable pen :)

LETTER EXCHANGE PARTICIPANT

The gold nib EF (M400 and up) will lay down a slightly broader line than the steel nib EF (M150/200/205).

It's hard work to tell which is Old Harry when everybody's got boots on.

Thanks, all. EF it is. :) I shall consider carefully whether to take the Pelikan plunge. ;)

I recently bought an M600, with an EF nib. To the unaided eye, it made the same line as my Sailor EF. I was pleased, except I could not see the ink's characteristics. I could hardly tell the ink's color. There was no line variation. Only highly saturated ink made an impression with that nib. I replaced it with a M that Pendleton Brown made into a fine italic. Now the writing is superb, and the ink's character comes boldly through. It may not interest you, but I needed to share the story. This fine italic nib must be enticing to more writers than just me.