The Power Of The Pif

goodpens

I truly believe that this "pay it forum" thread works. Paying it forward reaps rewards in life, in general, and it works here regarding pen-related goodies.

My most recent experience: after I offered up a PIF package and mailed it last week, I received two awesome FP-related gifts. One was a deluxe bottle of ink (thoughtfully in my favorite color group) from my music teacher. Another was a surprise package of 4 sample vials of inks I've never tried, courtesy of a member of this site who I'd been chatting with.

Once upon a time, this PIF forum was very active. It has slowed down some and I think it'd be great to see more activity. If you have pen and ink goodies getting dusty around your place, please consider offering them up! They will make someone else very happy, won't go to waste, will help you streamline your collection (and give you a good excuse to buy more, if you're looking for justification), and you'll be blessed with good stationery karma!

(I promise I am not suggesting this so that I can request anything that may be offered. To be clear on that, I won't request or enter any PIFs for the remainder of 2017.)

Thanks in advance to anyone willing to participate in this PIF challenge.

Edited by goodpens

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• goodpens

• amberleadavis

• inkstainedruth

• Beechwood

That's a nice thought. I've been the recipient and the piffer. I really enjoy the experience both ways.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

That's a nice thought. I've been the recipient and the piffer. I really enjoy the experience both ways.

Yip

Me too. :)

Same goes for me, although I must I must admit tapering off a little - it's getting more difficult getting to the post office (both sending and receiving) - I seem to have less time somehow...

But I do look at stuff being offered, and enjoy the feeling that the PiF tradition is alive and well on FPN.

a fountain pen is physics in action... Proud member of the SuperPinks

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

A couple of months ago, my local pen club had an ink swap. I wasn't able to get rid of as many of the sample vials as I had hoped, but I did give away a few -- and only picked up one new one for me. Then last month, after I'd found a Cross Verve for a buck at a thrift store, one of the other members gave me a spare converter he had (once someone looked up the model to see what it was and which style converter it took) and wouldn't take payment because he'd gotten some of the samples from me the month before.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I have some more things that I could give away as PIFs, but right now my schedule is very busy and I haven't had time to devote to PIFing. But I will be back with more PIFs before too long.

I'm gonna put up a custom fountain pen I got a few years ago...beautiful pen but I don't use it and I know someone else will. Thanks for reminding me!

• 4 weeks later...

It has been really nice to see the PIF offers that have been popping up in this thread. Thanks, all! I hope that there are many happy recipients.

In these stressy times of money and economics this generousity touches me...

If I have anything to offer, I will certainly do.

There are more things in heaven and earth, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.

The Pay it Forward concept is wonderful

Do a good deed for others who are in need without asking for anything in return.

In a perfect world the recipient should be instructed - or at least their conscience should remind them - to pay it forward to someone else in need.

I feel a sadness when I see selfish persons who have all that they need who then beg to be included with PIFs but are never the ones to start a PIF themselves.

Human nature I suppose, but disappointing.

Even worse when they excuse their behaviour on the basis that if the PIF is freely given then they should freely take it.

Edited by Beechwood

Same goes for me, although I must I must admit tapering off a little - it's getting more difficult getting to the post office (both sending and receiving) - I seem to have less time somehow...

But I do look at stuff being offered, and enjoy the feeling that the PiF tradition is alive and well on FPN.

True. Minus the mailing ordeals and time constraint ( particularly packaging for me ), I could perhaps do a small bit of my own.

It feels so satisfying to give away.

Hi,

I have a few things to give away. Can you explain how PIFing works ?

thanks,

Dinuraj

Yay! Thanks!

Basically, just add a new topic in this forum. (Itll be reviewed by a moderator before being posted.)

Explain what you have to offer and how someone can request it. Some people keep it simple (e.g. giving it to the first person to respond) and others make it a little bit more of a playful game, such as giving it to the first person with the right answer or with a random number drawing of all entrants.

Whatever you are offering must be a gift; you cant ask for payment. (Asking for reimbursement of actual shipping fees is ok and sometimes done.) If you browse through recent offers, youll get a sense of different ways people have done this.

• 2 months later...

Additionally, Dinuraj, as I always have understood, there is no reciprocity involved (no bartering, so to say). But what goes round, comes round eventually:

Once, a monk asked: “What is the meaning of PIF?”

Lao Tze answered: “If everyone who gets his back scratched, scratches two other backs, we’ll soon all have our backs scratched.”

The Pay it Forward concept is wonderful

Do a good deed for others who are in need without asking for anything in return.

In a perfect world the recipient should be instructed - or at least their conscience should remind them - to pay it forward to someone else in need.

I feel a sadness when I see selfish persons who have all that they need who then beg to be included with PIFs but are never the ones to start a PIF themselves.

Human nature I suppose, but disappointing.

Even worse when they excuse their behaviour on the basis that if the PIF is freely given then they should freely take it.

I used to (with DirecTV) get a channel that was sort of a world-vision version of PBS, and I used to like a program where some crazy lady who was big into metaphysical stuff would invite interesting people over for lunch and conversation (someone once told her that "When you first came to Big Sur, you were a debutante -- now, you're a shamaness!" B))

So, one time, I heard a story from some guy who was in some Latin American country. A poor child came to the door, begging, and the guy asked his son to give the poor child a toy. So his son got some random old toy out and his father said "No -- give him your BEST toy!" And the son did that and afterwards came running back in and said to his father "That was GREAT! Can we do that AGAIN?"

I always thought that was such a lovely story, but had forgotten all about it till just now.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

It helps some of out wonderfully.

Especially us students.

Some people want to get into the hobby, but for whatever reason they can't.

Things like this really do jump start the hobby for many people.

• 2 weeks later...

It really is powerful. I have been on both ends, although it has been a while since was on the giving end. I will have ro come up with something in the new year.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

I really enjoy giving away the stuff that I find doesn't suit me or I'm no longer using. Its satisfying knowing that others are using what I no longer am and receiving enjoyment from it :D