• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• liverman

• Ruth Feiertag

• paddrino

• Kelly G

Less than one month away, the 4th Annual Colorado Pen Show kicks off at noon on Friday, 6 Oct 2017 and runs through 4pm on Sunday, 8 Oct 2017 at the DoubleTree by Hilton Denver-Stapleton North 4040 Quebec Street, Denver, Colorado, 80216.

We have 35 exhibitors (so far) this year, including show sponsors Ryan Krusac Studios and Karas Kustoms and show partners Anderson Pens, Pendemonium and Pen World! Highly regarded nibmeister Mike Masuyama i returning this year to tune nibs, so be sure to get there early and get in his queue for all your nib work!

If you get tired of shopping for pens, ink, paper and accessories (hah!!) the schedule is jam-packed with classes. The lineup starts on Thursday with the two-day American Cursive Instructor Certification Program (ACICP) class taught by Michael Sull and Marie Hornback (pre-registration is mandatory for this certification class). Other highlights include Amanda McKay's "Kick A$$ Snail Mail Writing" on Friday afternoon, "Hands on Spencerian Penmanship Workshop with Michael Sull" and Sam Fiorella's "Think Ink!" class on Saturday, and Nikola Pang's "Italic Script‎" class on Sunday. Some require pre-registration and a modest fee for materials. Check them all out on the Colorado Pen Show Schedule page.

And, of course, there will be prizes! I can tell you there will be three bottles of J. Herbin 1670 inks among the door prizes. The grand prize is still under wraps...they won't even give me a peak at it!!

We are looking forward to seeing all of our pen friends at the show!!

Greg

Edited by liverman

The more I know about computers, the more I like my pens.

Colorado Pen Show

5-7 October 2018

Denver, Colorado

OOOO Have fun!!!

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

If my schedule holds, this will be my first pen show. Over 20 years writing with fountain pens and hanging around the various boards for 16 or 17 years; reading about and looking at all the pictures of pen shows and this will be my first experience at the sensory overload of so many pens and pen people in one place at one time. I planned to go to the New England Pen Show in Boston in 2006, but events conspired against me. My normal work schedule and the distance to most shows precludes me attending, but this time it looks hopeful. I'm looking forward to seeing lots of pens and people I've come to know through these forums - I may even buy some stuff!

May we live, not by our fears but by our hopes; not by our words but by our deeds; not by our disappointments but by our dreams.

It's considerably smaller, but growing each year! I am sad that I won't be able to make it this year, it was a great time last year.

I am noob regarding to pen shows my first show was San Francisco, is this show smaller or bigger?

Thanks for your help

Kelly G, the Colorado Pen Show is not too big, so that problem of being completely overwhelmed is not so big. It's a friendly show, where folks spend a lot of time getting to know one another. I hope to be able to meet you at the show!

Colorado Pen Show

5-7 October 2018

Denver, Colorado

• 2 weeks later...

Definitely come to the show! It is indeed a lot of fun and everyone there is extremely helpful and patient. It gets even better every year. It may be one of the smaller shows (it's the only one to which I've ever been), but it is still a place of terrible/wonderful temptations. I'll be there all three days, and hope to meet some of you (I'm doing a workshop on letter writing and another on journaling).

Ruth

Can't wait! Starting the drive out to Colorado this afternoon! This will be my first time at the Colorado show. Been to Dallas and Little Rock many times and Ohio once.

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

The Colorado Pen Show is only a day and a half away!

Check out our sponsors and vendors:

Karas Kustoms
Ryan Krusac Studios

Anderson Pens
Pendemonium
Pen World

Alex Mensen
An Tran
Artistic Paper
Bob Nurin
Brandon Lee - Chocolatier
Dan and Cyndie Reppert
David Ferguson
Franklin Christoph
Jake Weidmann
Joel Hamilton & Sherrell Tyree
Kanilea Pen Co
Karas Kustoms
Kenro
Luxury Brands USA
Michael Sull
Mike Conway
Mike Masuyama
Newton Pens
Nikola Pang
Oxfordianpens
Paul's Pens
PenThusiast Magazine
Penwell Co
Provincial Mills
Richard Fernandez
Susan Wirth Associates
TACCIA
The Nibsmith
The Pen Man
Tim Pierson
Vanness Pens
Vintage Pen Shop
Wahl Eversharp

See ya'll there!

Greg

Colorado Pen Show

5-7 October 2018

Denver, Colorado

So, sitting here at the venue bar, recognizing pen people I've never met but "known" for years from the forums. Fun.

May we live, not by our fears but by our hopes; not by our words but by our deeds; not by our disappointments but by our dreams.

Well...survived another year :) It was a great weekend. I saw and visited with many, many pen friends - both of long acquaintance and new. The vendors were all super. We had another "duel" between Jake Weidmann and Michael Sull. Follow the pen show website and Facebook pages where Ed will be posting pictures of the amazing results these two master Penmen created.

For me, the best new product was Penwell. They debuted their pen holders at the Colorado Pen Show and they are pretty darn cool. Cut from a single rod of walnut with a non-slip angled bottom. You can slide any pen with a cap diameter of about 15 mm or less in diameter into the cushioned hole and...presto!...you have a desk pen. Dan Keller and his partner are awesome people. I think this is going to catch on - and it will make a great little gift for that pen person who has everything.

The best new company at the show had to be Zoia. Owners Zoe and Sylvia Krusac manufacture every pen sleeve that accompanies every pen that Ryan Krusac Studios sells. They also have a line of jewelry, T-shirts and cases for eyeglasses. These young ladies are personable and smart. If they take this company public, I'm in!

I was really awesome to see Shawn Newton and his wife at the show. I scored a beautiful pen made of Conway Stewart Tiffany casein. Mike Masuyama later told me that the material had been made for Conway Stewart by an old master from Hokkaido, Japan. This material is absolutely stunning and I am thrilled to have a pen made of this unique material.

The Fountain Pen Day Legend Pen is selling briskly. This is a Ryan Krusac Studios Legend (L14 or L16) emblazoned with the Fountain Pen Day logo on the cap and nib. The body and cap are Gaboon Ebony and the FPD logo is infilled with crushed Kingman turquoise. Only 60 will be made. Ryan can make 5 per month and I heard at the show that production for October, November and December are already full. $175 from each pen will go to the Newton Pens Scholarship Endowment. This pen looks even better in person than it does on the website pictures.

I was on my feet all three days and while I am sorry the show is over, I am glad to be home.

The next Colorado Pen Show is Friday, 5 October 2018 through Sunday, 7 October 2018 in Denver, Colorado! I hope to see you all there!

Colorado Pen Show

5-7 October 2018

Denver, Colorado

Thanks for the recap, Liverman. It was obvious that a ton of work went into this show--and it paid off.

I'm glad I was there on Friday afternoon, at least for a bit, and kept thinking about a few items I wish I'd purchased. :)

For now, I'm enjoying the show's limited edition ink (Noodler's Golden Aspen) as it truly matches the aspen trees right now (very pretty as they peek out from the snow) and the monarch butterflies that have been migrating this week.

I just want to add my accolades to Greg's. Like Greg, I walked off with a Penwell for myself — and another for my mom. I ended up with three of Zoë and Sylvia's pen cases: two empty ones and one in which a pen of Ryan's somehow managed to find its way.

The pen Greg got from Shawn Newton really is stunning. I was very pleased to meet Shawn and to buy some postcards and a notebook to support his scholarship endowment.

I got lucky this year and won one of the raffles! I got not one, but two bottles of Noodler's Ink: the spruce from last year's show and the golden aspen that celebrated this year's extravaganza. I put the aspen in a vintage Redipoint with a flex nib (a T. Pau 2. Anyone know anything about those nibs? My internet research on T. Pau only takes me to Star Trek sites; live long and prosper) I picked up from Tim Pierson. Like Goodpens, I am enjoying the ink, but I could do without the snow.

I had a couple nibs ground for me at the show. I had never had this done before and now I am going to be spending the next year going through all my pens and deciding which ones could use adjustment. One of the other pen posse members had a Lamy Safari nib ground to suit. She said the grind cost more than the pen but was absolutely worth it.

Jessica Coles of the Vintage Pen Shop took away two of my pens to fix. One was an expensive Romeo and Juliet Delta and the other was a cheap I-don't-even-know-what that came in a sale lot off e-Bay but that I like more than I expected. She treated both pens with equal consideration and I look forward to being able to use them again.

There were plenty of classes and workshops too (in what was maybe the one flaw in my experience this year, the classroom was FREEZING. Perhaps next year's ink colour should be a nice Frostbite Blue or a Hot Coal Red). I heard Ed Capizzi talking about how several of the classes had more attendees than the instructors had anticipated.

The opportunities to find amazing pens, nuanced inks, cool accoutrements and to acquire new skills and knowledge were abundant, but just as important were the camaraderie and community. I have never met a more generous and inclusive group of people who are eager to share their knowledge without ever making an inquirer feel ignorant or unwelcome. Some of the best moments came when the show was over for the day and folks were hanging out and having a bite and a drink together. The enthusiasm of the community is magnetic and it's almost impossible not to get drawn in.

Greg, I shall definitely see you there next year!

Ruth

Echoing the previous comments. I was only able to attend the show on Friday and Saturday morning, but that was enough time to meet a number of great people whom I've only known via the interwebs, look at hundreds of pens new and old, get some first class nib work done on five of my pens with somewhat boring (but now fun) nibs, purchase four pens, three modern and one slick PFM III, drain my wallet, and enjoy great conversation and a cigar with fountain pen luminaries. That is a lot of pen fun in a short time!

The size of the show was perfect for a first time show attendee; small enough to keep the sensory overload in check but large enough to understand what all the pen show fuss is about. The vendors were all great. I enjoyed the mix of vintage and modern pens and the range of pen company sizes; from major companies to single artisan shops. There were pens for everyone, no matter your particular taste. Speaking of taste, there was some outstanding chocolate for trial and sale!

Regrets? I have a couple. I should have bought more than one of the Penwells. They are slick. My new Franklin-Christoph 66 fits perfectly in the walnut base.

And I should have picked up a few more bottles of ink; three wasn't enough! But, I'll know better next year!

Thanks to all for a great show experience!

I should have bought more than one of the Penwells. They are slick.

They have a website :) ​I'm sure they'd love to hear from you :)

Thanks for all the great comments and I'm glad that you had a great time. I agree - the Colorado Show is big enough to give you a great selection, but small enough that you have time to chat with people and not be too overwhelmed. Many "name brand" vendors come to Colorado every year: Anderson Pens, Pendemonium, Karas Pens, Vanness Pens, Franklin-Christoph, Tim Pierson, The Pen Man, Joel Hamilton and Sherrell Tyree, Dan and Cyndi Reppert,...and, of course, nibmeisters Mike Masuyama and The Nibsmith. We are very fortunate to have such a group...and more!

I already have the dates for next year marked on my calendar and I'll book my room as soon as the pen show rates are announced at the hotel.

We'll have a few Pen Posse meets through the year to keep us "hydrated" and, the folks in Hamburg willing, another Pelikan Hub.

Colorado Pen Show

5-7 October 2018

Denver, Colorado

Had a wonderful time at my first Colorado Pen Show (won't be my last!)! Scored a grail pen that I have long searched for! Visconti Titanium Skelton LE (thanks Joel!) What a beauty! Got two nibs trimmed down and tuned up by Mike M. and now love both pens so much more than before. Bought a bottle of Kobe ink from Vanness, love it! Thanks so much for the great effort put forth by the show's organizers. Loved the venue and had a great time!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

I had a blast myself. I ended up buying too much, but as it was my first pen show, I figured it was 'necessary' :)

I had hoped that Mr. Smith could fix my lamy 2k, but alas he had to take it with him as it was more of a mess than I originally thought. Multiple drops have taken its toll :(. I have every confidence I will get it back from Dan in an amazing condition.

I ended up buying my first Sailor from the Andersons. I have been eyeballing the 1911 large demonstrator in rhodium trim for a while, and decided to grab it there. I wanted to handle one in person to test out the nibs as it was my first Sailor. Bryan was great and patient and actually wanted me to try a few nib sizes up and down from my preference to be sure I would enjoy it.

I also picked up a few Sheaffers. I have been wanting to dive into vintage stuff, and found a few that I fell in love with.

I also bought a wonderful Franklyn Christoph 02 with a Mike italic. Man that pen writes wonderfully.

I also bought an interesting older Visconti opera in an olive/black marble celluloid which is a color that I have not seen before.

All in all I went home both Friday and Sunday in a very good mood. :)

Edited by paddrino

I ended up buying my first Sailor from the Andersons. I have been eyeballing the 1911 large demonstrator in rhodium trim for a while, and decided to grab it there. I wanted to handle one in person to test out the nibs as it was my first Sailor. Bryan was great and patient and actually wanted me to try a few nib sizes up and down from my preference to be sure I would enjoy it.

At the Baltimore Pen Show I wanted to try the TWSBI ECO, so Brian lent me his personal inked ECO to try out. Liked it and purchased one from him. The Anderson's customer service is second to none!

What?! No pictures of all these pens? I'd love to see what they look like.

Yes, the Andersons are wonderful people, and whenever I order from their store, my package is sure to arrive a day early. They have been very kind to me at these shows, answering questions I didn't even know I should have been asking. I'm so happy that you enjoyed the show!

Paddrino, you are in Denver? Have you looked into the Colorado Pen Posse?

Ruth