Daiso Riviere Ptr-200

bokchoy

PSmC4Wal.jpg

The Riviere PTR-200 is a cheap pen. That should set the tone for this review. I got it at Daiso some 2 years ago. It was 2 CAD (+ tax :rolleyes: ). Others at the time said it was 1.50 USD.

Visually, it's a slender plastic pen with a snap cap. The cream plastic is stainable and the body lettering doesn't line up with the nib. But these are minor cosmetic quibbles and this is a cheap pen. More importantly, I have no ergonomic complaints. It's not slippery, it's not unbalanced (since it's so light), it has no sharp edges and it's a good length for most hands.

2nMclq1l.jpg

The best part is clearly the nib. It's stamped with Platinum's logo and shaped more traditionally than a Preppy's. Out of the self-adhesive plastic sleeve, my nib was functional but dry. It never skipped and it was great on absorbent paper. They say feedback is one of Platinum's characteristics. I personally liked the tactile feel and felt it improved my handwriting. It would've paired well with a lubricated ink. As I have some dry inks, I adjusted my nib for more flow. Width-wise, well... People said my Lamy EF is too fine and my Pilot M too broad. My Riviere PTR-200's M is somewhere in between. That is all I can say. This is from my ink log. Please draw your own conclusions:

eEUVT3Gl.jpg

In addition to the Platinum nib, this pen accepts Platinum cartridges. A converter is worth several of these pens so I've been refilling the cartridge. Originally, this was going to be something I could lend out or give away. It only got sporadic use. The cap seal is surprisingly decent and prevents hard starts for a week or two. It may last longer but I wouldn't know. Anyway, a spring is visible after removing the clip. Could this pen have one of Platinum's slip & seal inner caps?

CY4BSNcl.jpg

Although I like the cap seal, I have two complaints. Firstly, the clip is easy to slide off. Secondly, the inner cap is very strong. So strong, it eventually cracks the section! The pen is cheap and I don't expect it to last forever, but a Google search suggests I'm not alone. I was wondering why I had inky fingers. Then I noticed a barely-visible hairline crack:

THHhHGSl.jpg

Time for this one to retire. I'm going to sum up this review with 4 words: good innards, cheap exterior.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jchch1950

• A Smug Dill

• bokchoy

• mitto

• 1 month later...

This is a VERY wet pen, Diamine Ancient Copper sheens in it. I am not sure if mine is an isolated case or generally true. Pretty good sealing system that preserves the integrity of ink. My only complaint: section and overall girth are too slender.

• 1 month later...

Although I like the cap seal, I have two complaints. Firstly, the clip is easy to slide off. Secondly, the inner cap is very strong. So strong, it eventually cracks the section! The pen is cheap and I don't expect it to last forever, but a Google search suggests I'm not alone. I was wondering why I had inky fingers. Then I noticed a barely-visible hairline crack:

Most of my Rivière (& I've quite a number) have cracked sections :(

Hadn't blamed the cap for the cracking but thought it's the nib/feed that's jam-wedged friction fit into the hollow tubular section that's causing the cracking. There's no key afaik in section.

Pen works fine with crack, until some start leaking ink onto fingers. Yank out nib/feed, wash everything free of ink then superglued the crack... if only to seal up the leak.

Think I glued on some of the easily-dislodged clips of the caps too :)

• 2 years later...

Just got one of these this weekend and I got surprised that it was a Platinum pen, usually the Daiso ones don't really tell you the brand, but I always buy these to use everyday and not feel sad if I lose it, but this one is really nice. I think it needs I little bit more weight to it, but for a relly cheap pen (here in brasil it goes for R$7,99) it really surprised me in a good way.

Maybe the crack is the result of an over tight cap.Is possible to reduce the wide of the cap or it will only destroy it?

Maybe the crack is the result of an over tight cap.

I seriously doubt it. It's a snap cap, and the inner cap is spring-loaded, so any pressure upon capping the pen is going to compress the spring ahead of compressing the plastic on the grip section.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

A Smug Dill

After your last post I went to Daiso to buy two Platinum pens to try them. Both write nicely but both leak of the grip section :angry: :angry: .A terrible quality of plastic.

It is indeed made of what seems to be inferior (or just plain unsuitable) plastic. I simply disagree as to the cause of any cracks being attributable to the cap being too tight and putting pressure on the section. I have one of those pens here, as well as one of the metal-bodied Daiso fountain pens, and I think they're terrible.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.