Kyo-Iro – Soft Snow Of Ohara

crahptacular

Kyo-Iro – Soft Snow of Ohara

This ink is very interesting to me. It’s not highly saturated, but it’s not that pale either (despite what my photo might show), and despite a sort of dustiness in overall color, it leaves an extremely clean line that makes it look much sharper than you would expect based on the color alone.It might just be my eyes, but I notice it consistently with inks like this one and Kyo no Oto Aonibi. Maybe someone with experience with these inks can confirm or deny the validity of that impression. I do like the effect though, and I find the writing done in this ink to be very attractive.

In any case, this ink is a dusty greyish purple, which I think is supposed to represent the color of shadows in the snow. I don’t have many good inks to compare this against, as most of the purples in my collection are significantly more saturated. The ink flows quite wet and has not displayed any misbehavior in my experience, though naturally a wetter line will be at greater risk of feathering on poorer quality paper. Wetness notwithstanding, I haven't observed any bleed-through or show-through on my usual papers. The wetness does make it hard to handle with flex nibs, which will just dump piles of ink with any pressure. When shading is present, there is a significant contrast between the lighter and darker portions of the line.

Lubrication: Moderate (wet writer)

Shading: Moderate-High (on non-absorbent papers; highly absorbent papers like copy paper will probably not show much due to the wetness of the ink)

Sheen: Very slight (white/silver sheen, only visible when pooled; I haven’t seen any in regular writing even with fat, juicy nibs on resistant paper)

Water Resistance: None whatsoever. Water obliterates this ink.

Other notes: Dry time was on the long side (~20 seconds), although the nib I’m using is quite wet.

The following sample was done with a Franklin Christoph 31 (Steel Broad) on Tomoe River (52gsm, white, loose-leaf) and a water brush for the doodle. Flex writing was done with a Leonardt Principal dip nib.

Bad Scanner Disclaimer: Scan came out a little too bright/saturated, whereas photo is a bit too pale/grey. True color is somewhere in between the two (in other words, I did a poor job color-correcting both of them). The actual hue is slightly closer to the purple color in the scan than the bluer one in the photo.

Scan:

fpn_1504564924__kyo-iro_soft_snow_of_oha

Photo:

fpn_1504564944__kyo-iro_soft_snow_of_oha

Comparison inks from left to right (big smear is the featured ink):

Sailor Shigure, Robert Oster Summer Storm, Diamine Bilberry, J. Herbin Poussiere de Lune, KWZ Standard Gummiberry

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• crahptacular

• Carrau

• mmg122

• Pensei

You make every ink look beautiful.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Stunning review! I may have to get some of this. I like the color.

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today

I live in the southern US now, but one of the things I miss from growing up in the northern US is the purple shadows on snow late in winter afternoons. Your review is lovely, and reminded me of those scenes. Thanks.

Thank you for this enchanting representation of my favorite ink.

Right now I have Soft Snow of Ohara in a very wet Duofold Junior, where I see something close to the color on your scan--on Rhodia it's even darker--but I agree that in most pens and on most papers, the color is between those shown on your two lovely images.

You make every ink look beautiful.

That's very kind of you to say :). Luckily, I find most inks beautiful, so I just have to avoid making them look bad.

I live in the southern US now, but one of the things I miss from growing up in the northern US is the purple shadows on snow late in winter afternoons. Your review is lovely, and reminded me of those scenes. Thanks.

I think something about the gentle shading in this ink is reminiscent of overcast winter days. Winter is my favorite season, and so I have a weakness for wintry inks.

Thank you for this enchanting representation of my favorite ink.

Right now I have Soft Snow of Ohara in a very wet Duofold Junior, where I see something close to the color on your scan--on Rhodia it's even darker--but I agree that in most pens and on most papers, the color is between those shown on your two lovely images.

I found a couple of writing samples I did on different papers for comparison. I agree, the photo in my original post is definitely lighter than reality. Here is the ink on Kokuya Campus paper, which is significantly more absorbent than TR. These pictures haven't been color-corrected, but the level of darkness in contrast with the paper is relatively accurate.

fpn_1504634561__ohara_kokuya_campus_scri

fpn_1504634524__ohara_kokuya_campus_prin

edit: I'm not certain, but I believe this was a Jowo B nib.

Edited by crahptacular

The Impressionists were fascinated with light and shadow in the context of snow. This painting by Sisley, in my opinion, is not only one of the greatest of the Impressionist paintings, but, when seen in person, one of the most impressive paintings in the world. Edit: click the enlarge button for a very good image.
http://www.sothebys.com/content/dam/stb/lots/L17/L17002/214L17002_9BX52.jpg

Edited by Pensei