Ink Review : Diamine Händel (Music Collection)

namrehsnoom

Ink Review : Diamine Händel (Music Collection)

fpn_1504461262__diamine_-_hndel_-_foto.j

Pen: Lamy Safari, M-nib

Paper: Rhodia N°16 notepad 80 gsm

fpn_1504461278__diamine_-_hndel_-_detail

Review

London, summer of 1727.

“I have been commissioned to write an anthem for the coronation ceremony of my benefactor Prince George – but what to use as a theme? Now, while attending mass in Westminster Abbey, my eye is drawn to the minister’s vestments. A whirlpool of dusty red and purple shades in the muted light of the cathedral. Ah… this setting inspires my muse. I see the theme of my anthem now… Zadok the Priest anointing King Solomon. Yes… that will be it.”

In 2015 Diamine released the Music Collection, a set of 10 subdued ink colours named after well-known composers. In this review, we take a look at Händel. After the above introduction, you're sure to remember that this is a dusty red-purple ink.

fpn_1504461288__diamine_-_hndel_-_chroma

Diamine Händel is a muted purple ink, with a heavy red undertone as is obvious from the chromatography. The ink works really well in fine nibs – well lubricated, and good contrast with the paper resulting in an easy read. This is one ink that I actually like more in EF, F and M, than in the broader nibs. With broader nibs, the shading becomes very prominent and the red undertones of the purple colour become much more visible. I personally prefer my purples without too much red, so this makes the ink less attractive to me.

Below you can see what the ink looks like when heavily saturated. I really poured the ink on Tomoe River paper and let it dry up. This gives you an idea of the ink's behaviour when used in very wet & broad nibs.

fpn_1504461303__diamine_-_hndel_-_satura

fpn_1504461314__diamine_-_hndel_-_satura

Händel behaved really well on all the papers I tested – with only a touch of feathering and bleed-through on the Moleskine paper. Drying times varied widely from 5 seconds on absorbent paper, to 20 seconds on more glossy papers (all with M-nib). The ink’s look & feel is fairly consistent across paper types, and the result looks good on both white and more yellow paper. The ink has no water resistance to speak of – even short exposure to water will obliterate your writing.

fpn_1504461340__diamine_-_hndel_-_sample

fpn_1504461358__diamine_-_hndel_-_sample

fpn_1504461372__diamine_-_hndel_-_sample

Diamine Händel is a nice muted purple, that looks great in finer nibs. Personally I’m not a fan of the strong red undertones in this ink, but your preferences may vary. Technically, Händel behaves very well on all types of paper. Just be aware that this ink has zero water resistance, so probably not a good ink for the workplace.

My overall score: B+

fpn_1504461390__diamine_-_hndel_-_handwi

Technical test results on Rhodia N°16 notepad paper using a Lamy Safari

fpn_1504461404__diamine_-_hndel_-_techni

fpn_1504461424__diamine_-_hndel_-_water_

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• visvamitra

• lgsoltek

• DrDebG

• namrehsnoom

Top Posters In This Topic

Outstanding review! Thank you. This is a pleasant color.

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today

Thanks for sharing this well-done review, great info and very interesting to read!
My short list for inks is getting longer.

• 2 years later...

Thank you for your excellent, comprehensive review. I have just ordered some inks direct from Diamine and picked this one as a sample.

I'm sure I will be in for some Endless Pleasure, Endless Love. ;)