Wing Sun 3003 Demonstrator

Memory

I realized I brainfarted and posted in the wrong thread. Has anyone tried the Wing Sun 3003 demonstrator? When that purple anodized aluminum flashed on by on my ebay list, I had to click it. Seems like a TWSBI knock off for the 580 piston filler.

The major catch is that they send you a random color unless you purchase two pens. I know they're cheap, but I hate the thought of getting two nonfunctioning pens just to appease my passion for purple.

Here's a link if you're interested:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WING-SUNG-3003-New-transparent-Fountain-Pen-Extra-Fine-0-38mm-Color-Send-Random-/232466537034

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Memory

• Jamerelbe

• bob_hayden

• Mercury132

The design and shape of these pens looks *exactly* like the Pilot Prera (I just inked mine up again today, so it was on my desk when I hit the link). I can't tell from the photos, though, whether the the Wing Sung is a cartidge converter or a piston filler.

I have the Wing Sung 659, which is a Pilot 78G knock off - it writes very nicely, and is reasonably solidly constructed. I imagine the 3003 will be a pretty good alternative to the Prera, if you don't mind buying pens that so directly copy someone else's design!

Ooh, good call. I've never really considered the Prera's because I have a quite a few Preppy's that I've eyedroppered. If I hadn't already moved my Plumix nib to a Metropolitan, I'd have an excuse to get another pen. <sigh>

The original Prera iro-ai (i.e. demonstrators) are 2200 Yen on Yahoo shopping site, three times the Ebay price of the Wingsung. On the other hand, I don't need another demonstrator.

And Wingsung additionally has the 618, 698 and 659 demonstrators. The 698 looks more impressive. The 618 is in the mail.

@Memory

> I have a quite a few Preppy's that I've eyedroppered

Really?

Could you please show me a photo? Did you use an O-ring and silicon grease?

If you put them nib down, do they bleed through the feed?

When I tried to make an eyedropper out of a Preppy 0.3, the line size changed from F to M/B.

I'm not sure what would happen if I stored the pen nib down since I never store my pens that way. They're always either stored nib up or horizontally. Lemme turn one upside down and see what happens.

Yes, I just threw an o-ring and some silicone grease on my pen. I really hate cartridges for some reason. I found them for sale on Amazon for dirt cheap by using some variation of this search string: 010 Buna-N O-Ring, 70A Durometer, Black, 1/4" ID, 3/8" OD, 1/16" Width (Pack of 100)

I actually came across this in a roundabout way. When I started using my fountain pen regularly again, I bought a bottle of Noodler's Polar Blue and it came with a Preppy Pen with the Noodler's logo on it, only I didn't realize it was a Preppy. It wasn't until that I started researching pens and watching Brian Goulet's videos that I figured out that my Noodler's ink pen was actually an eyedroppered Preppy. Before then, I had no idea that fountain pens could be eyedroppered without it leaking all over the place. I love my Vanishing Points, but for long work conferences, I'd regularly run out of ink halfway through the workday. I loved that Noodler's Ink pen as an alternative, right up to the point that my pibble decided that it looked like a bone. I wasn't quite sure how I would get that pen again since I knew Noodler's ink was now shipping with Charlie pens.

My Preppy's have a fine line, and that didn't change after I eyedroppered them. It's possible that the inks I'm using aren't that wet though. Currently they're all Noodler's ink varieties, not something wetter like Pilot Iroshizuku or Sailor.

I'm at work, but when I get a chance, I'll come back to this thread and post a picture of one. I'll update on the nib down experiment as well :)

Edited by Memory

I can't tell from the photos, though, whether the the Wing Sung is a cartidge converter or a piston filler.

It's a piston filler, you can see the piston assembly.

Has anyone purchased from this seller (the one linked to in the original post) yet? The other items this seller has seem to be unique to him on eBay, including the WS 618, and a few new clear demo Wing Sung 300X models which seem extremely pretty. The WS 3008, another piston filler, is around half the price of the 698 too, which seems like a pretty good deal.

I beg to disagree: a piston filler would have the helicoid drive right at the end of the barrel, and the piston rings would be pressed against the inside surface of the barrel; both aspects are absent here.

No, I am not going to list my pens here.

The original Prera iro-ai (i.e. demonstrators) are 2200 Yen on Yahoo shopping site, three times the Ebay price of the Wingsung. On the other hand, I don't need another demonstrator.

And Wingsung additionally has the 618, 698 and 659 demonstrators. The 698 looks more impressive. The 618 is in the mail.

@Memory

> I have a quite a few Preppy's that I've eyedroppered

Really?

Could you please show me a photo? Did you use an O-ring and silicon grease?

If you put them nib down, do they bleed through the feed?

When I tried to make an eyedropper out of a Preppy 0.3, the line size changed from F to M/B.

I stored my pen nib down all day today, and there wasn't any ink in the cap. I even held it by the end and applied some centrifugal force with a downswing. There was only a 50uL drop in the cap, so I think the ink will stay in the pen unless you take it on an airplane where the change in altitude can force ink out of your pen. Then again, I've also never had my eyedroppers leak even after a full day of writing with them. That might be due to the fact that my hands never sweat or get warm though.

• 5 weeks later...

I beg to disagree: a piston filler would have the helicoid drive right at the end of the barrel, and the piston rings would be pressed against the inside surface of the barrel; both aspects are absent here.

I ordered one of these on 30 August from a seller who (it appears) has now been deregistered, and it arrived in the mail today. I haven't inked it up as yet, but just wanted to confirm, it is *not* a piston filler but a cartridge converter pen. I *think* the converter is a standard international (unlike my Wing Sung 659, which relies on a Pilot-clone converter).

fpn_1506612286__wing_sung_3003.jpg

I can also confirm the pen looks *somewhat* similar to a Pilot Prera - though it's a little longer:

fpn_1506614806__wing_sung_3003b.jpg

3003 may be from a different licensed company.

659,698,618 is from the same licensedcompany and it said that it is close to hero and 618 is produced by hero

Thanks for the update! How's the nib?

The nib is pretty smooth - the Wing Sung EF nib lays down a similar line to the M nib on my Pilot Prera, though, so be warned: I'd classify both pens approximately equivalent to a Western Fine nib. Very smooth, though, and moderately wet - I'm really enjoying the pen, especially for the price!

One other thing to be aware of: some eBay users are still advertising this as a piston filler - it's not, it's a cartridge converter pen.

One other thing to be aware of: some eBay users are still advertising this as a piston filler - it's not, it's a cartridge converter pen.

If there is a piston in the converter, they'd consider that counts :(

No, I am not going to list my pens here.

If there is a piston in the converter, they'd consider that counts :(

Sadly, I suspect you're right - so buyer beware! [it's still a pretty decent pen, though...]

Being a bit bigger than the Prera is probably no bad thing, I have quite a few of them and tend to use them posted, which I don't normally do with pens. I have 3 of these 3003s on their way and they should arrive soon.

Being a bit bigger than the Prera is probably no bad thing, I have quite a few of them and tend to use them posted, which I don't normally do with pens. I have 3 of these 3003s on their way and they should arrive soon.

Yep, that's a big advantage with the 3003s - you *can* post them, and the cap is light enough to not unbalance the pen, but the added length means I don't *need* to post it to write comfortably. YMMV of course!

So....can these pens be eyedroppered? Not tha I need more pens or demonstrators..but it's so tempting, especially if I can ruin them with shimmering ink. I know, I know, they're awful, but for some formal things, they're so much. Plus Amyethyste du O'real is my plantonic purple, even without the sparlking stuff.