Letter Requests! 9/5 Postmark. Please Consider Writing!

goodpens

Hi Pen Friends,

Someone close to me is among the people in the current batch of letter requests posted at The World Needs More Love Letters. I'd love it if this person gets a huge outpouring of love and mail.

Please consider writing! It is a great way to put all of your delicious, fun, gorgeous pens and ink to use!

From their website: "The World Needs More Love Letters is a global organization using the power behind social media to write and mail letters to strangers all over the world. Not-for-profit and completely mission driven, we let anyone nominate someone in need of a love letter bundle. We pick stories that resonate. You get the chance to write a letter and mail it in. The task is small but the impact is greater than you can imagine."

Information about the recipients, including mailing addresses: http://www.moreloveletters.com/the-letter-requests/.

The postmark deadline for the current letter requests is September 5th.

I'm not going to say which of the 6 people getting "bundles" is the one I know. It'd be great if that person gets lots of mail, but I also think the other 5 are super-deserving. (I'm writing to the others in this batch, too.) So please read through them and respond to the request that feels right to you. Or write to all 6! And keep an eye on the site for the next batch of requests; there is always a list posted (in spans of about 2 weeks at a time) of people who deserve letters from you.

FAQs about the organization: http://www.moreloveletters.com/home-alt/

And remember that if you use up some of your ink and stationery, you have a good reason to buy more. :)

Thanks!

Edited by goodpens

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• goodpens

• amberleadavis

• clickred

• theverdictis

Great idea.

''You can't stay in your corner of the forest waiting for others to come to you. You have to go to them sometimes''. A A Milne

Thank you so much, Mihir!

Done. Shall try to participate in every edition.

To anyone else still interested, the organizers added one more recipient, so there are a total of 7 active letter bundle requests. Thanks to all who participate!

Done!

Thank you for the opportunity to reach out to some great people.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Done!

Thank you for the opportunity to reach out to some great people.

Thank you! I really appreciate it. It is fun to know that the FPN community is taking part in this!

Goodpens, I just wanted to you to know that I appreciated this experience. I went and read about the responses to these letters. I had a good sniffle and didn't even get done reading all the replies. I will continue doing this project.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Goodpens, I just wanted to you to know that I appreciated this experience. I went and read about the responses to these letters. I had a good sniffle and didn't even get done reading all the replies. I will continue doing this project.

I'm so glad! It really is amazing. I've always enjoyed being one of the letter writers and it is such a cool thing now to know that someone I love will be the recipient of a bundle.

Your note made me go back and read about the impact of the bundles; that "testimonies" page has been updated since I last looked. So touching.

If anyone else is interested, check out this link to read feedback from letter recipients and from the loved ones who helped with the projects: http://www.moreloveletters.com/testimonies

Edited by goodpens

Goodpens. I printed out the list. Today my assistant is with her daughter in law at the hospital as she gives birth to a Preemie. My assistant's youngest daughter was a micro preemie, and my sorority big sister was a micro preemie. My assistant's daughter is now in advanced placement and my big sis is a pediatrician. So, I am asking my friends to write to the parents of the micro preemie.

Thank you so much for turning me on to this project.

Goodpens. I printed out the list. Today my assistant is with her daughter in law at the hospital as she gives birth to a Preemie. My assistant's youngest daughter was a micro preemie, and my sorority big sister was a micro preemie. My assistant's daughter is now in advanced placement and my big sis is a pediatrician. So, I am asking my friends to write to the parents of the micro preemie.

Thank you so much for turning me on to this project.

Thanks for asking friends to participate. It is amazing when one of the requests touches on something personally meaningful. A different one in this new batch really resonates with me.

To anyone still following this thread after 9/5/17:

Please know that there are ALWAYS letter requests posted at http://www.moreloveletters.com/the-letter-requests/.

Even though the batch that I was asking for help with is gone, there are awesome letter recipients who would be thrilled to get a letter from you. Please consider contributing, no matter what the date! You can also sign up for their email list and you'll be notified when new letter requests are posted.

I could not find any email list signup link on their website. How can I do that?

Hi Mihir,

You're right--it can be tricky to find. I'm surprised they don't call more attention to this on each page of the website. It is on their homepage (http://www.moreloveletters.com), about 1/2 way down, in "the love letter alert list" box.

Thanks for taking part in this!

Or, you can just check on the website and print out the addresses for those letters you wish to send. You need only sign up if you want a reminder every two weeks to send a new letter.

• 1 month later...

So, goodpens, tell us about the experience. I've continued to send letters each month.

So, goodpens, tell us about the experience. I've continued to send letters each month.

Thanks for checking in about it!

It was super cool and rewarding to be a bundle facilitator. We received 142 letters, primarily from the US, but also from 7 other countries.

I waited until some straggling international mail came in, then put together the bundle in a big box, decorating it with a collage of the most creative envelopes. The timing of this was such that it needed to be in the recipient's hands last week, so I got it to her just in time.

She was pretty much in tears just looking at the bundle and reading through the cover note I put in there, which explained what the process was, what in the world she was looking at, and why so many awesome strangers took the time to write to her. She immediately had to travel for work, so she's going to be reading through the letters slowly in the coming days/weeks. (If it was as moving as it was for me to read these letters, I think it might be overwhelming for her--and not something that can be rushed. They really deserve to be savored.)

The messages were amazing. Some were short and sweet; some were long, poetic, artistic.

Some of my very favorite messages came in the most simple deliveries, like one that was written in ballpoint pen on torn notebook paper and a plain envelope; it was so warm and loving I was nearly in tears. Others were absolutely gorgeous examples of mail art, with great creative attention put into the art of it. Some were greeting cards, post cards, etc. They all shared thoughtful messages, with love and good cheer and thanks and congratulations for the recipient. Some shared deep, personal stories that resonated with us. Some included photographs or drawings or fun inserts, like confetti. Others simply sent hugs or the message that "you rock!" It was great to see the range of responses that came in.

And, of course, I loved the ones that were written with fountain pens, which had me guessing at the inks. :)

Since I submitted my request for the bundle, the organizers changed the format. They used to post letter requests about once every two weeks. The requests are now up for a month at a time. (I wonder if recipients will start getting even more enormous bundles?)

The World Needs More Love Letters is definitely a super-cool project and organization. I highly recommend that anyone interested participate by writing to bundle recipients. It is truly rewarding, both on the sending and receiving ends.

If anyone is interested in writing to the current (and future/ongoing) More Love Letters bundle requests, details are available at http://www.moreloveletters.com/the-letter-requests/.

And if you want to nominate someone for a bundle, keep in mind that they get tons of requests. The more you read through their site, tailor your request to the way they operate, and provide specific details about why the nominated recipient deserves a bundle, the greater chance (it seems) of having your nomination approved. http://www.moreloveletters.com/nominate-someone-for-love-letters

Edited by goodpens

Thank you for sharing!! I preferred every two weeks, but every month is fine. I keep writing. If you get a chance to show some pictures, that would be awesome.