Any Opinions On The Jinhao 992?

RomellESC

I have seen postings in several places stating that new models seem to be less susceptible to cracking.

Since I am susceptible to buying ... how can I tell what's new stock and what's old on eBay?

I deliberately bought my 992s from different vendors ... hoping to increase my odds of getting one that wouldn't crack.

That hasn't worked out.

Any guidance on finding better stock welcome .... because when it stays in one piece .. this is the perfect pen to jam into a pocket on the weekend. Right size .. good nib ... you can easily tell how much ink you have .. and the screw cap makes it unlikely you will get a pocket full of ink.

Unless, of course, the whole thing falls apart.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• truthpil

• finewriting

• RomellESC

• WJM

Yeah, I wish Jinhao would put the exact same nib on a higher quality metal pen.

They do put the same nibs on metal pens, don't they? Like Jinhao 250 or 500...

Personally I would rather have them make plasic pens which don't have cracking issues (I prefer plastic/resin pens over metal ones), then again, I have two 992 for quite some time now and none of them developed any cracks. I rarely use them though.

I'm getting cracking before I get a chance to use them at all.

I have also seen posts where people have suggested the "coffee" coloured ones are most likely to crack.

But I don't know how people are arriving at that conclusion.

It's frustrating ... because they are nice writers.

But if the pens keep failing, $2 a pen can rapidly become $2 a month ... and that's not a deal I want to make.

They do put the same nibs on metal pens, don't they? Like Jinhao 250 or 500...

Personally I would rather have them make plasic pens which don't have cracking issues (I prefer plastic/resin pens over metal ones), then again, I have two 992 for quite some time now and none of them developed any cracks. I rarely use them though.

The nibs on the 250 and 500 are made from thinmer metal. Although they are decent, mine aren't as smooth as those of the 992.

I hear you about preferring a plastic version, it's just that metal pens seem to be Jinhao's forte.

fpn_1451608922__truthpil_signature_small

I have seen postings in several places stating that new models seem to be less susceptible to cracking.

Since I am susceptible to buying ... how can I tell what's new stock and what's old on eBay?

I deliberately bought my 992s from different vendors ... hoping to increase my odds of getting one that wouldn't crack.

That hasn't worked out.

Any guidance on finding better stock welcome .... because when it stays in one piece .. this is the perfect pen to jam into a pocket on the weekend. Right size .. good nib ... you can easily tell how much ink you have .. and the screw cap makes it unlikely you will get a pocket full of ink.

Unless, of course, the whole thing falls apart.

The gold trim models came out more recently, so getting one of those would be a good way to avoid an older version. That worked for me.

The gold trim models came out more recently, so getting one of those would be a good way to avoid an older version. That worked for me.

Excellent idea. Thank you.

Excellent idea. Thank you.

but gold trim is yucky

I don't mind the cracking because it is only minor and at the back end of the barrel, and I don't eyedropper them.

but gold trim is yucky

I don't mind the cracking because it is only minor and at the back end of the barrel, and I don't eyedropper them.

It's actually not as gaudy as I had feared. If you go for the gold-trimmed one, be warned that the red isn't red, but this odd salmon color. The gunmetal grey looks pretty nice.

Edited by TruthPil

The nibs on the 250 and 500 are made from thinmer metal. Although they are decent, mine aren't as smooth as those of the 992.

Really? Good to know... I assumed they're the same nibs, just without the golden accents.

Really? Good to know... I assumed they're the same nibs, just without the golden accents.

The gold trim version of the 992 also has gold accents on the nib, but it's a different thickness and feel from the 500 nib. There is one pair of Jinhao Fine nibs (plain steel and two-tone) which fits earlier models (250,500,165,etc) and one pair for the newer models (992,991,etc). I've found that the older Fine nibs are identical in thickness to JoWo #5 nibs, whereas the nibs for the 992 are thicker.

I wonder if eventually any new Jinhao pens with open nibs will use the newer thicker ones.

I believe I will take another chance on a demonstrator pen.

I don't usually care for gold coloured accents ... but the coffee (amber) pen with gold trim doesn't bother me.

And if that one cracks ... I will give up.

I believe I will take another chance on a demonstrator pen.

I don't usually care for gold coloured accents ... but the coffee (amber) pen with gold trim doesn't bother me.

And if that one cracks ... I will give up.

I wish the best for you, but I don't have any faith in the 992 demonstrators. The 991 demonstrator, however, is another story. Ugly but rugged.

I wish the best for you, but I don't have any faith in the 992 demonstrators. The 991 demonstrator, however, is another story. Ugly but rugged.

My mistake here. I should have been more clear in my comments earlier. I am interested in the demonstrator pens and I have read that the newer stock is less likely to crack. I interpreted your point about seeking pens with gold clips as applying to demonstrator pens.

But I now see you are holding out little hope for any of the 992 demonstrators, new or old ... chrome or gold.

Hmmmm ...

My mistake here. I should have been more clear in my comments earlier. I am interested in the demonstrator pens and I have read that the newer stock is less likely to crack. I interpreted your point about seeking pens with gold clips as applying to demonstrator pens.

But I now see you are holding out little hope for any of the 992 demonstrators, new or old ... chrome or gold.

Hmmmm ...

I don't have any of the 992 demonstrators, so I can't speak with any authority on the newer models. I have both an old and newer model of the opaque version and the plastic is the same brittle material, they just fixed the plug issue. If the opaque version has the same material as previously, I assume the demonstrator does as well. The odd thing is that the material of the 991 demonstrator seems much stronger.

Has anyone tried transferring the 992 nib to the X750?

It won't fit. The 992 uses a #5 nib and the X750 uses a #6.

• 1 month later...

I now have four.

Three coffee coloured, one green.

The green one has no cracks.

The coffee ones ...

-the first one has a pretty bad crack, the shape of a dog's leg

-the second one ... as soon as I received it, I pushed out the plug at the end, filed it down and glued it in place. It has small cracks.

-the third one got the same treatment. I have only had it a few days ... but no cracks so far.

Hello everyone

I've recently purchased a clear one and a coffee one. I just want to adjust and glue the finial but I'm not sure about what kind of glue must be applied. Ciano perhaps?

Any idea would be great.

Interesting thread for someone about to dip a toe into the Chinese pen market.

Two questions, do these pens come with converters or do you have to ask questions?

What's a 'demonstrator' in this context?

Interesting thread for someone about to dip a toe into the Chinese pen market.

Two questions, do these pens come with converters or do you have to ask questions?

What's a 'demonstrator' in this context?

Good questions!

All Jinhao pens come with a converter.

Demonstrator refers to a translucent pen, it's called a demonstrator because the clear body allows you to see ("demonstrates") the ink.