Any Opinions On The Jinhao 992?

RomellESC

I have returned from my long inactivity, but anyways, I have just ordered a Jinhao 992 (transparent black) on a Chinese online shopping site called Aliexpress. Most of the fountain pens they sell are Jinhaos, Baoers and Heros. I have heard it's a good pen for the price, but I'd like to know more about the pen. Any thoughts?

You want a physicist to speak at your funeral. You want the physicist to talk to your grieving family about the conservation of energy, so they will understand that your energy has not died. You want the physicist to remind your sobbing mother about the first law of thermodynamics; that no energy gets created in the universe, and none is destroyed. You want your mother to know that all your energy, every vibration, every Btu of heat, every wave of every particle that was her beloved child remains with her in this world. You want the physicist to tell your weeping father that amid energies of the cosmos, you gave as good as you got.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• truthpil

• finewriting

• RomellESC

• Inky_paws

I own several and really like them. Smooth writers!

I buy most of my Chinese pens off Aliexpress.

I own several and really like them. Smooth writers!

I buy most of my Chinese pens off Aliexpress.

Nice! I like the cheap prices but I'm really concerned about buying there since I mostly buy from Amazon. That made me feel better about purchasing there again.

You want a physicist to speak at your funeral. You want the physicist to talk to your grieving family about the conservation of energy, so they will understand that your energy has not died. You want the physicist to remind your sobbing mother about the first law of thermodynamics; that no energy gets created in the universe, and none is destroyed. You want your mother to know that all your energy, every vibration, every Btu of heat, every wave of every particle that was her beloved child remains with her in this world. You want the physicist to tell your weeping father that amid energies of the cosmos, you gave as good as you got.

I bought a 5 pack in multiple colors (the "fine" or exposed-nib versions). I've only inked one thus far but I have to echo the other replies-- its a smooth pen, very comfortable for me to write with.

I bought a 5 pack in multiple colors (the "fine" or exposed-nib versions). I've only inked one thus far but I have to echo the other replies-- its a smooth pen, very comfortable for me to write with.

I ordered the exposed nib as well. The semi-hooded nib looks very ugly to look at, for my taste.

I've had three, ask of comparable writing quality, and have gifted two of them to newbies. I keep the other one as my back up to my primary pen (as I like to only take one expensive pen out of the house at a time) and it lives in my bag.

I do, however, find they write a little dry, when I filled mine with diamine salamander the ink it lays down shows less of the green and our if the yellow tones.

Platinum 3776 - F, Pilot Decimo - F, TWSBI Vac Mini - 1.1i

I got an orange demo, functional, unsurprising nib. A little dry. It's a Sailor "inspired" pen. Since I have owned a Procolor, I did not have any moral qualms about getting one.

After a second inking, cracks formed all around the finial at the end on the barrel. The pen was desk bound and was not mistreated in the least.

Last Chinese pen I buy. Literally all of my Jinhaos have developed problems in one form or another. You get what you pay for.

​JinHao 992 represent the BEST of the cheap pens today.

I am stunned with how good it is out of the box.
the demostrator version has more problem than the opaque ones

If you don't mind the utilitarian look, the 991 is a better pen. Same great nib and feed without the cracking problems that plague the 992.

fpn_1451608922__truthpil_signature_small

If you don't mind the utilitarian look, the 991 is a better pen. Same great nib and feed without the cracking problems that plague the 992.

I think this depends. I honestly haven't had a cracking issue with any of my 992s (though I've only inked 2). Of the 2 991s I've inked, one developed cracks in both the section and barrel. Hoping that was just a defect as I do like the 991.

I think this depends. I honestly haven't had a cracking issue with any of my 992s (though I've only inked 2). Of the 2 991s I've inked, one developed cracks in both the section and barrel. Hoping that was just a defect as I do like the 991.

Wow, that's surprising. I wonder what they did to your cracked 991! I even tried to make mine crack and couldn't. I just reinked my 992, the extra thickness of the body does make it feel nicer in the hand than the 991. They are both great comfortable writers though.

Got a 6-pack of demonstrators. Here's my take. Good writers. Don't eyedropper; use the converters. Others report that they can be fragile, but I haven't had any breakage. Overall -- excellent bang for the buck.

Until you ink a pen, it is merely a pretty stick. --UK Mike

My arsenal, in order of acquisition: Sailor 21 Pocket Pen M, Cross Solo M, Online Calligraphy, Monteverde Invincia F, Hero 359 M, Jinhao X450 M, Levenger True Writer M, Jinhao 159 M, Platinum Balance F, TWSBI Classic 1.1 stub, Platinum Preppy 0.3 F, 7 Pilot Varsity M disposables refillables, Speedball penholder, TWSBI 580 USA EF, Pilot MR, Noodler's Ahab 1.1 stub, another Preppy 0.3, Preppy EF 0.2, ASA Sniper F, Click Majestic F, Kaweco Sport M, Pilot Prera F, Baoer 79 M (fake Starwalker), Hero 616 M (fake Parker), Jinhao X750 Shimmering Sands M . . .

31 and counting :D

DaveBj

• 2 months later...

Great little pens. Nice nibs, nice size when I want a smaller, less formal pen to carry about.

But the cracking problem, in my experience, is discouraging. A deal breaker.

I bought three demonstrators. Two developed cracks immediately - one even before being inked. I check the third now and then (its in storage) ... and I won't be surprised if it cracks too.

Sure they are inexpensive and fun. But I don't like buying disposable pens ... and if they crack and fall apart ... I can't consider them "keepers".

And they aren't inexpensive if I have to keep buying new ones to replace the ones that crack.

Edited by finewriting

I have to agree. Even at less than $2 they are overpriced if you can’t get through the first fill without them cracking ... and breaking apart

To hold a pen is to be at war. - Voltaire

Great little pens. Nice nibs, nice size when I want a smaller, less formal pen to carry about.

But the cracking problem, in my experience, is discouraging. A deal breaker.

I bought three demonstrators. Two developed cracks immediately - one even before being inked. I check the third now and then (its in storage) ... and I won't be surprised if it cracks too.

Sure they are inexpensive and fun. But I don't like buying disposable pens ... and if they crack and fall apart ... I can't consider them "keepers".

And they aren't inexpensive if I have to keep buying new ones to replace the ones that crack.

I have to agree. Even at less than $2 they are overpriced if you can’t get through the first fill without them cracking ... and breaking apart

I would definitely say that the demonstrators are not worth buying. The opaque versions, on the other hand, seem much less prone to cracking, especially the newer models with the gold trim. The nib on mine is smoother than my pens that cost 100 times as much! Even if just for the nib, $2 is more than worth it.

There's a 26 page thread on them (as of this posting). The consensus: Nice writers, but the barrel is especially prone to cracking, especially on the demonstrators, especially around the little plug finial. If you knock that little plug out, and perhaps file the inside of the hole just a little bit, and glue it back in place as soon as you get it, you're not likely to see the cracking problems.

Mine has a couple of 5mm long cracks in the end of the barrel. Once I noticed them, I knocked the finial plug out, but didn't bother with filing it down and gluing the plug back in. I have a six-pack of the opaque 992s on my Amazon wishlist, and I'll immediately knock the plugs out of them too, should they show up under the tree.

Edited by Arkanabar

There's a 26 page thread on them (as of this posting). The consensus: Nice writers, but the barrel is especially prone to cracking, especially on the demonstrators, especially around the little plug finial. If you knock that little plug out, and perhaps file the inside of the hole just a little bit, and glue it back in place as soon as you get it, you're not likely to see the cracking problems.

Mine has a couple of 5mm long cracks in the end of the barrel. Once I noticed them, I knocked the finial plug out, but didn't bother with filing it down and gluing the plug back in. I have a six-pack of the opaque 992s on my Amazon wishlist, and I'll immediately knock the plugs out of them too, should they show up under the tree.

Somewhere in that 26-page thread, perhaps page 24 or 25, I mentioned that the newer models have looser plugs which seems to have eliminated the cracking around the plug at the end of the section. You can just pop it right out with your thumb. The only remaining issue with the most current models is that the material is still more brittle than it should be.

I bought one of these on eBay and it arrived a few weeks back. Didn't notice any cracks at first, but after a small drop from desktop to tiled floor there were visible cracks around the bottom end. No big deal - I hadn't tried to eyedropper fill the pen - but I agree, the material is pretty brittle. Granted I was careless to drop the pen, but none of the cheap ballpoint or rollerball pens I used to use ever suffered cracking as a result of rolling off my desk onto the floor! Lovely looking pen - but I'd pay more for a better quality material.