Parker 51 Photo Thread

PenHero

not quite the concours condition of some of the above, but certainly of interest to 51 collectors in the U.K. - the rolled sterling cap aero 51 with g.f. clip - apparently made in England only.

According to the book, first introduced 1952 with simply 'R. SILVER on the cap, then a slightly later version where the cap imprint is changed to read 'R. SILVER / MADE IN ENGLAND'. Perhaps someone might have a little more info. on the dates for these two varieties.

This pen looks to be the later version.

My set has the R. SILVER markings on the caps without the MADE IN ENGLAND.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_v0YzkCPJQ3TUM5MjNaTUp4bFE/view?usp=drivesdk

Edited by mitto

Khan M. Ilyas

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• PenHero

• mitto

• IThinkIHaveAProblem

• inkstainedruth

And another uncommon cap NOS English 51.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_v0YzkCPJQ3T0lNU2dreE1wREE/view?usp=drivesdk

The cap has four straight non-converging lines and the long arrow clip has unusual tapering feathers.

And it has the italicized "51" marked on the unusually wide cap band within opostrophe/quotation marks.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_v0YzkCPJQ3QlpyS3Q0aGgxbTA/view?usp=drivesdk

Edited by mitto

Khan M. Ilyas

Both of my rolled silver caps just have 'RSILVER' at the back. I have definitely seen a 51 auction listing that had a rolled silver cap with the later open clutch internals and an unrolled lip, so they must have kept the rolled silver cap variant going fairly late into the production run.

Latest pen related post @ flounders-mindthots.blogspot.com : vintage Pilot Elite Pocket Pen review

not quite the concours condition of some of the above, but certainly of interest to 51 collectors in the U.K. - the rolled sterling cap aero 51 with g.f. clip - apparently made in England only.

According to the book, first introduced 1952 with simply 'R. SILVER on the cap, then a slightly later version where the cap imprint is changed to read 'R. SILVER / MADE IN ENGLAND'. Perhaps someone might have a little more info. on the dates for these two varieties.

deleted by author

Edited by smiffy20000

And another uncommon cap NOS English 51.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_v0YzkCPJQ3T0lNU2dreE1wREE/view?usp=drivesdk

The cap has four straight non-converging lines and the long arrow clip has unusual tapering feathers.

And it has the italicized "51" marked on the unusually wide cap band within opostrophe/quotation marks.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_v0YzkCPJQ3QlpyS3Q0aGgxbTA/view?usp=drivesdk

Nice Mitto! My favourite writer is an English vac that lost its 'correct' cap at some stage in its life.

Latest pen related post @ flounders-mindthots.blogspot.com : vintage Pilot Elite Pocket Pen review

the aero 51 seems to be a much loved pen both sides of the pond. Certainly my r. silver cap, and those mentioned above (I've no doubt), will all be Mark I pens - they all have the black plastic terminal to the sac protector. It might be interesting to discover whether or not this silver cap occurs on Mark II pens - i.e. those without the black ended protector. So far, my cap which includes the word ENGLAND appears to be in the minority :)

OOOH!

Is that BBB? It's a gorgeous color! Okay, not quite as gorgeous as Plum or Midnight Blue, but still....

There are some colors I still want (Cordovan Brown, Dove Gray -- now that I know the difference between it and Navy Gray -- and BBB). There are others, like Buckskin Beige and Cocoa that you probably couldn't pay me enough to own. Forest Green? Haven't made up my mind. Mustard? Well, I'd have to see what it looked like for real for real (i.e., not in a photo).

Weirdly, I had always thought that Midnight Blue was one of the more common colors of the Aerometrics. But it was the hardest one for me to find at an affordable price -- I mean, I paid less for my Plummer (okay, admittedly the Plum is a Demi, and a user grade pen -- and I got it several years ago -- but that's fine with me).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Looking at the colors at a pen show would probably be best.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

Nice Mitto! My favourite writer is an English vac that lost its 'correct' cap at some stage in its life.

My favourite writer stub nibbed cedar blue English vac 51 came with a distinctively early production English long arrow gold cap that I think also came with the first year/early production English aero 51s.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_v0YzkCPJQ3MzdicElFVkhqcGc/view?usp=drivesdk

Noticeable is the PARKER marking quite higher from the lips of the cap. These caps had the italicised "51" marking on the back of the cap beside the distinct style of writing for the gold content.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_v0YzkCPJQ3Z3ZOaEpOc2p4WEk/view?usp=drivesdk.

A couple more pics.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_v0YzkCPJQ3aFlFT3BZMjd5N0U/view?usp=drivesdk

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_v0YzkCPJQ3bDBQdXZUV2RGMnM/view?usp=drivesdk

Edited by mitto

Khan M. Ilyas

Looking at the colors at a pen show would probably be best.

Yeah, I'm starting to come to that realization.

Thought I spotted a Cordovan Brown at a table at Triangle Pen Show this year, but the seller said it was Burgundy.... And it's not like I didn't already buy a Midnight Blue and an English-made Navy Gray at that show.

Good thing I'm not trying for another Plum.... :rolleyes: I got mine, I got it for a decent price for a Plummer, it's a user grade Demi and I love it! That's the pen they'll have to pry from my cold dead fingers -- even though it's not inked up at the moment....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Very nice mitto! Thanks for the inspiration.

CAUTION: UNSOLICITED OPINION FOLLOWS

You know, perhaps I'm showing my age but I sure appreciate the understated colors of the Parker 51 line... not much for the swirly unicorn poop materials a lot of pen lines have gone to these days.

Wow, I’ve been looking for the right words to describe the spat of “Carnival” colored resin pens swamping the market today. But, I like your unicorn poop better. Thanks Bill.

By the way, what did you use to get that luster on your burgundy P51?

Wow, I’ve been looking for the right words to describe the spat of “Carnival” colored resin pens swamping the market today. But, I like your unicorn poop better. Thanks Bill.

By the way, what did you use to get that luster on your burgundy P51?

Old Salt, if you mean mine, that's a Cordovan Vac 51... it came to me that way so I'm not sure what the restorer used. Probably used too direct light on that pic as well.

"Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working." -Pablo Picasso

Ok, Cordovan, it’s still a great looking pen. Best of luck with it. A lot more attractive than the “unicorn poop” that pen makers are putting out today.

I have a bunch of P-51’s. Some restored, some waiting to be restored. Every time I pick one up there is something close to reverence that comes over me with no other pen. The more we care for and rehab these pens, the better the chances that future generations will get to experience them as well.

Beautiful pens, I have a 3. I bought the first, a user grade burgundy aerometric w/gold cap just to see what all the fuss was about. I admit, perhaps grudgingly that I was impressed, it was a great writer and the form sort of grew on me (at that time I was all about Vacumatics). I bought a second (teal aero) w/lustraloy cap just to test the the claim by the rabid fans that these were fantastic pens, each and every one. It too was a better than average pen and actually a looker. Not pristine but no major flaws, even the lustraloy was unmarred.

The third was the best, a black vac, w/lustraloy cap and gold blue diamond clip, this one is almost pristine. I got it from Greg Minuskin. When I received it I noted it had an unusual mark:

Parker "51"

Made in USA .T.6

Which as I recall meant that it had something to do with Toronto. Anyone know the whole story? Anyway, at that point I quit buying them, convinced that they are every bit as good as the fans claimed. I would love a forest green model but they are apparently valuable. I have satisfied my desire (somewhat) with a forest green P45, the Parker model which I think is the bargain of the century (well that century anyway).

One of the aspects about the 51 that I like is that they are not too precious to modify.

For example I picked up a 51 with a good barrel but a very poor cap, the clip had gone completely, multiple scratches on the standard cap including the ring around the cap where the clip had rubbed. The cap was polished until all the marks had gone and the clip was replaced with a GP Parker UK clip from a damaged pen. Minimal cost and an attractive alternative to a full restoration.

One of the aspects about the 51 that I like is that they are not too precious to modify.

I could not agree more. They are so plentiful (parts) that you don't have to feel remorse for cobbling a Frankenpen together that becomes a great user/writer

By the way, if you check in to Cristof's forum he has a recent post up with a collection of P51'a displaying a variety of colors of the P51. check it out here.

Edited by DrCodfish

• 8 months later...

Unfortuantely, I only see this thread now, since I am currently doing some private research about the Mk II and III models.

(see here: https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/220855-whats-up-at-christofs/?p=4062929 )

I have at least two NOS pens in my small collection with price stickers.

Will take a picture as soon as possible.

I also would love to find out more about these.

C.

Edited by christof

I'd be interested to know the price point of these pens if someone has a catalog or pricelist and the production dates. The Parker 51 book is a bit vague and the Parker calendar I have only shows 1969 as the start date with no end date.

Thanks!

Thank you Christof for reviving this thread.

From the catalogs available from the public library of the PCA (www.pencollectorsofamerica.com) it appears that the Parker 51 was still represented in Parker dealer catalogs of 1977 and 1978. In the 1979 dealer catalog, the Parker 51 is replaced by the Parker 50 Flighter. So I guess that 1978 was the last year for the Parker 51.

Below are pages taken from the 1977, 1978 and 1979 dealer catalogs. The left panel shows the itinerary of the catalog listing the range of available pens. The right panel shows the 51 range with the retail price.

fpn_1529484425__1977_page_1_and_8_copy_k

fpn_1529485840__1978_page_1_and_8_copy_k

fpn_1529485902__1979_page_1_and_4_copy_k

@joss: thank you so muchfor your contribution! This helps a lot.

btw: the catalog proofs my theory, that U.S. made pens had gold plated clutch rings although the cap was lustraloy. (https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/316996-what-parker-are-you-using-this-day-2018/?p=4062025 )

Thanks again!

C.

Edited by christof