Parker 51 Photo Thread

PenHero

Hi, Folks!

I've had two of these late production Parker 51s, one Aerometric Mark II and one Mark III. These pens have a thinner profile and blunt barrel end. The cap is very similar to the Parker 61 pen. The primary visual difference is the Mark II has cap top jewel like the Parker 61 and the Mark III cap has a metal cap jewel. The Mark II was introduced in 1969 and came in black, Rage Red, dark blue, turquoise blue, and grey.
http://penhero.com/Temp/Parker51MarkIII_1280.jpg
I'd be interested to know the price point of these pens if someone has a catalog or pricelist and the production dates. The Parker 51 book is a bit vague and the Parker calendar I have only shows 1969 as the start date with no end date.
Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• PenHero

• mitto

• IThinkIHaveAProblem

• inkstainedruth

I have a different story about the aero 51 mark III. I have some pens that could be considered as transition mark III. These are mark III considering the filler type and the barrel threads but there are other charactoristics that make them look more like mark II.

I intend to start a new thread showing and discussing those pens sometime in future.

Edited by mitto

Khan M. Ilyas

I believe Ernesto has several of these new in box with price stickers. I don't recall the price point.

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

I have a different story about the aero 51 mark III. I have some pens that could be considered as transition mark III. These are mark II considering the filler type and the barrel threads but there are other charactoristics that make them more like mark II.

I intend to start a new thread showing and discussing those pens sometime in future.

Most of my information on these late Parker 51s comes from Parkerpens.net, the Parker 51 book and a Parker calendar from the Parker archives.

• 5 months later...

Hi, Folks,

This is a Parker 51 Signet Aerometric Demi pen and pencil set in 1/10 14 karat gold-filled cap and barrel c1949. The first Aerometric models are date coded 1948, though the launch was in 1949. The new filler unit that replaced the Vacumatic system is a clear "pli-glass" ink sac squeeze fill unit with a breather tube. The Signet was among three all metal Aerometric 51s introduced in 1949, along with the solid gold Presidential and the stainless steel Flighter. The engraving on the cap and barrel is three lines and a space. There is also a cartouche on the barrel for personalization. The Aerometric 51 was the top Parker pen until the introduction of the 61 in 1956. The Demi 51 is about 5 inches long and the caps are not interchangable with the longer standard size 51.
http://penhero.com/Temp/Parker51SignetSet_1280_01.jpg
Thanks!

Another really lovely Parker pen set.

I always think that the word demi is a little too harsh, gives the impression that the pen is inferior to the full size pen.

being a collector of pre 1960 pen and pencil sets, ideally with the original leather case or box, I am particularly envious.

Thanks - I've had the good pleasure to have quite a few really nice pens pass through here for glamour shots. This set is particularly nice.

Agree about Demi - it's really just 1/4 inch shorter!

This set is really beautiful. It's the first time I have ever seen a Demi size 51 in the metals(Signet/Flighter) "collection" of 51's." Now, to find one for myself!

Thanks for "sharing."

Fair winds and following seas.

This set is really beautiful. It's the first time I have ever seen a Demi size 51 in the metals(Signet/Flighter) "collection" of 51's." Now, to find one for myself!

Thanks for "sharing."

Thanks! They are hard to find!

Beautiful Demi Signet set. Is the pencil also Demi size? Or is it the standard size?

Thank you for sharing, Jim.

Khan M. Ilyas

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, Folks!

This is a Parker 51 Vacumatic in Dove Grey with Lustraloy cap and gold filled Blue Diamond clip date coded 1948. Parker began phasing out the Blue Diamond clip in 1948 in favor of an Arrow clip like the one that appears on the Aerometric pens launched in 1949. This 5 3/8 inch long pen has the clear plunger filler unit. This version of the "world's most wanted pen" sold for $12.50.
http://penhero.com/Temp/Parker51VacumaticGray_1280_01.jpg
Thought I would also start a photo thread on the 51 and see what turns up!
Thanks!

The 51 Vac looks top-drawer. I now have three of them awaiting resac.

My 51 Aerometric bought in 1970 is still going strong, and I am still in love with the look and feel.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

Same for me. I am a big fan of P51s. I have only four vacs though. The rest (about two hundreds) are all aerometrics. The 51 aero goes for ever. In my 40+ years of pen collection history I have found only one aero 51 that needed resacing. The rest all came with good sacs. Pretty indistructible pens these are.

Thanks, Jim, for showing that beautiful 51.

Khan M. Ilyas

That is one beautiful vac 51. Looks so pristine! Is that a "NOS" or is it a restored pen?

This particular size/model 51 has become my absolute favorite of the 51's. I've been a fan since the late 60's. I've found that these pens are a perfect fit for my hands and magic just seems to flow from the nib. They feel so completely natural in my hand un-posted. <3

Fair winds and following seas.

That is one beautiful vac 51. Looks so pristine! Is that a "NOS" or is it a restored pen?

This particular size/model 51 has become my absolute favorite of the 51's. I've been a fan since the late 60's. I've found that these pens are a perfect fit for my hands and magic just seems to flow from the nib. They feel so completely natural in my hand un-posted. <3

It was restored, but was in good shape to begin with.

PenHero, BillH. Those are gorgeous pens. They look brand new. My father n law gave me a 1948 51. It's looks nice, but nothing like the 2 that you guys have posted.

Allan😀😀

Could someone explain the difference between Dove Gray and Navy Gray? I have an English-made Aero that I bought last summer (mostly because of the OB nib :rolleyes:) -- but I really dislike the color. It was listed in the auction as being Navy Grey, but looks a lot like the color of the one in the photo Jim posted (and is definitely an Aero, not a Vac). I saw one on eBay a few weeks ago that was listed as being Dove Grey, which looked a lot lighter color in the listing photos -- but I know that photos can be really deceptive sometimes, depending on stuff like ambient lighting and using a flash up close.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

The aero color navey grey is kind of greenish grey while the dove grey is light clear grey. A discolored navy grey would sometimes look as light green. I have never seen a discolored dove grey, though.

Khan M. Ilyas

I need to get a Navy Grey so I can photograph them side by side. Same questions happen with Sheaffer Snorkel blue and green pens. Easy to see in a side by side shot. If someone wants to loan one for photos I can shoot them together.