Vintage And New Dip Pen Nibs - Your Favourites?

Pendarion

I've seen an old thread on here about vintage dip pen nibs but thought I'd start a newer one to ask what your favourite dip pen nibs are..? (Vintage and new)?

I'm right at the start of trying to learn Copperplate, and so experimenting with various nibs, randomly. (Am trying to get the feel of different nibs and also not get stuck in my ways right from the start).

Have bought some random vintage nibs and so far, the ones I have enjoyed most are Brandauer 'Times'. Also have some Brandauer 'Globe' coming - not found out much online about either, but the 'Oriental' seems to be a well regarded Brandauer nib. Of new nibs, I've tried several, including the Leonardt Principal -which I liked - and the Leornardt Steno 40 (Blue Pumpkin) which I didn't so much. Also just randomly ordered a couple of different 'G' nibs.

So which do you like? Any more obscure vintage nibs you really enjoyed? Be nice to have some pointers as to which ones are worth a punt.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ac12

• Bluey

• ReadyFireAim

• Pendarion

Top Posters In This Topic

Leornardt Steno 40 (Blue Pumpkin)

There's another Blue Pumpkin besides Brause Steno 361?

My fave is actually that one.

Edited by Bluey

My favorite is the Leonardt Principal for flex but I can go faster with the Zebra-G.

The Brause rose is impossible for me to use but the Pumpkin is kinda cool.

The Hunt 101 is pretty OK also.

I put a Leonardt Principal in a fountain pen and it's my favorite right now.

My general purpose nib is a Japanese G nib; Nikko, Tachikawa or Zebra.

For flex a Leonardt Hiro 41.

IF I can get a good one again. For a while they had manufacturing problems.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

I've recently become enamoured of old gold-nibbed dip pens and I don't think there's anything modern that equals the experience of using a beautifully-made, precious relic of an older time.

They make very pretty marks, too.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Most Contributions

1. amberleadavis
      amberleadavis
    2. PAKMAN
      PAKMAN
    3. Ghost Plane
      Ghost Plane
    4. inkstainedruth
      inkstainedruth
    5. jar
      jar
  • Upcoming Events

• Blog Comments

• Shanghai Knife Dude
      I have the Sailor Naginata and some fancy blade nibs coming after 2022 by a number of new workshop from China.  With all my respect, IMHO, they are all (bleep) in doing chinese characters.  Go use a bush, or at least a bush pen. 
    • A Smug Dill
      It is the reason why I'm so keen on the idea of a personal library — of pens, nibs, inks, paper products, etc. — and spent so much money, as well as time and effort, to “build” it for myself (because I can't simply remember everything, especially as I'm getting older fast) and my wife, so that we can “know”; and, instead of just disposing of what displeased us, or even just not good enough to be “given the time of day” against competition from >500 other pens and >500 other inks for our at
    • adamselene
      Agreed.  And I think it’s good to be aware of this early on and think about at the point of buying rather than rationalizing a purchase..
    • A Smug Dill
      Alas, one cannot know “good” without some idea of “bad” against which to contrast; and, as one of my former bosses (back when I was in my twenties) used to say, “on the scale of good to bad…”, it's a spectrum, not a dichotomy. Whereas subjectively acceptable (or tolerable) and unacceptable may well be a dichotomy to someone, and finding whether the threshold or cusp between them lies takes experiencing many degrees of less-than-ideal, especially if the decision is somehow influenced by factors o
    • adamselene
      I got my first real fountain pen on my 60th birthday and many hundreds of pens later I’ve often thought of what I should’ve known in the beginning. I have many pens, the majority of which have some objectionable feature. If they are too delicate, or can’t be posted, or they are too precious to face losing , still they are users, but only in very limited environments..  I have a big disliking for pens that have the cap jump into the air and fly off. I object to Pens that dry out, or leave blobs o
  • Chatbox

You don't have permission to chat.
    Load More
  • Files